The sad state of my CP-16R

Guest 3ldfilms

Guest 3ldfilms

So after much hastle and wasting of money, I'm starting to think that my recent ebay purchase of a CP-16R is nothing more than a door stop.

Here's the re-cap...initially the 2 batteries that it came with didn't really hold any charge any the camera started spurting and running whether I turned it on or not (which was really weird in itself).

I bought a newly recelled battery from ebay (the battery indicator on the camera says it is fully charged and it was from a reputable seller and the label says it was recelled by Batteries Plus in April 2005...so I would assume it is a good battery)

Now when I put the new battery in, I do have control over when the camera runs...but it now sounds like a tank and will still NOT RUN AT 24. It spurts quickly then stops and the red light comes on. Then it chugs for a second like it is going to die..like a gurgling or choking. Not happy camera sounds to say the least.

Ironically, I bought myself a 'junkie' Super-16 K-3 with crystal motor and it runs perfectly. Maybe I'll load the CP with dynamite and film the explosion with my K-3.

But before it comes to that...any suggestions about what could be the source of the problem...and how much might it cost to fix. I paid $1200 for it and I hate to think that it's junk as it physically appears clean and almost perfect.

:(

Ed

Edited by 3ldfilms

I assume that camera doesn't turn over smoothly when you move the inching knob on the sprocket wheel.

Could be that the bearings and movement need a good clean and re-lubrication. If it hasn't been used for some time the grease may have become gummed up inside some of the gears. Although, it doesn't sound like that is the problem, it would just sound noisy. The fact that the camera comes to a sudden stop doesn't suggest this one. Although I would get it re-lubricated regardless once it's running correctly.

You could remove the side of the camera that the battery slides into and have a look to see if anything is catching, or looks out of place. There are some belts inside that could be causing problems. You'll need Allen keys for that and be careful about the cables that connect the battery and the sound to the camera.

If you don't see anything obiviously amiss I'd sent it to the camera repair people mentioned before and have them check it over. It could be a problem with the motor.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Guest 3ldfilms

What is the inching knob? Is that the largest knob inside the camera?

If so, I think I did try turning it...while I was able to move it, it seemed to try and move jerkily on its won again after I turned it.

• Premium Member

I second what Preston said. After I read your post, before I read Preston's, I was ready to write, "Call Paul at Visual Products."

They are probably the most reputable shop in the U.S. that works on CP-16 cameras.

I would have him check it out and give you an estimate before you blow it up. It might be something pretty basic to fix and then you may have a very nice little CP. I do believe Visual Products can also convert that camera to Super 16 and maybe you can make some kind of a deal with them to fix the camera and convert it all for one package price.

Good Luck,

-Tim Carroll

Guest Robert Skates

It could be one of the drive belts in the camera. One of the belts has teeth that runs down both sides of it. The belts get stiff over time and the teeth break off and lodge themselves inside the camera. I would remove the battery side of the camera. Gently shake the the camera. The belts were blue in color. If the teeth have broken off, some should rattle around and fall out of the camera. You can't miss them. They sort of look like Sprinkles or Jimmies. Not that difficult or costly to replace the belt yourself. Depends on your bravery and skill level.

Paul H at Visual Products is one of the best techs for the CP. He used to work at Whitehouse A V. Whitehouse was and is the best source for CP parts.

-Robert Skates

last time I looked, informed people who buy used cameras do all sorts of film tests before giving the cash to the seller. These tests include steadiness test, framing tests, scratch tests, noise tests etc. if you buy from a reputable dealer, he will have no objection for you to run these tests and others in his facility.

The exterior paint condition of a film camera is absolutely not of importance, this is NOT seen on the screen.

Guest Ian Marks

To what everyone else says, I would add that at least you bought a camera for which parts and service are readily available (from Visual Products and Whitehouse Audiovisual), so all is not lost. And many of us have jumped at bargains only to end up with a junker. I once bought a Scoopic M that was described as being in "really good shape." In fact it was so rusted out that you could have used it as a boat anchor. I'll not be making that kind of mistake again (at least until the next time).

Guest 3ldfilms

Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to get a set of allen keys before I can open it up. I'm really hoping it is a belt issue (especially since it came with spares) and the sound that I am hearing is comparable to some bits being caught in the gears.

Will post an update once I open i tup.

Ed

Guest 3ldfilms

Both, I believe, The mag belts are the rubbering stretchy ones. Then it also had a few plastic belts with teeth. I assume these are the same as the ones that were mentioned earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 3ldfilms

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Secondly, the epic continues....

I opened up the camera with an allen key and looked around. The belts seemed fine and there were no broken teeth. I gave it a gentle shake upside down and nothing came out except for some little bits of foam...which leads me to what I suspect is the culprit.

The foam backing is so crumbly it just flakes off in slices when you touch it. I can't imagine that it is good for the motor to have all those bits falling into it.

I ran the camera with the battery panels detached and the motor definitely spins but makes an odd uneven noise. At crystal it spins for 1 second then stops (my guess is it tries to get sync, then can't, si it quits). Then after a second of silence i emaits a death gurgle of a sound.

I took off the battery and tried moving motor belts by hand and the glided smoothly so it does not appear that there is anything jamming or junking up the movement of the belts. But I do wonder of the motor could be FUBAR from bits of foam being stuck in it.

Any thoughts?

Any idea what it will take to fix it?

And any idea about the cost to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Edited by 3ldfilms