What do HD engineers do exactly?

Arni Heimir

Do you mean DITs?

I am sorry. I am not familiar with that acronym. I am interested in how a high definition production is different from 35mm. Presumably it is nothing like a 2nd assistant cameraman, right? I am totally lost in the world of professional HD.

I am sorry. I am not familiar with that acronym. I am interested in how a high definition production is different from 35mm. Presumably it is nothing like a 2nd assistant cameraman, right? I am totally lost in the world of professional HD.

Check out http://jkor.com/peter/engineer.html

Peter Gray has a lot of HD info on his site.

Guest Jim Murdoch
Hi,

It could be said that they're there to cover up for gaps in the (invariably film-trained) DP's experience.

But that would be quite awfully impolitic to say.

Phil

A more accurate job description might be that they're there to try to ensure that all the little things you don't have to worry about when shooting with with film, don't spoil the DP's day. On lower-budget projects they may also be called on to maintain the aircon units for the Video Village, repair the cables that people trip over and so on.

Sadly, impolitically-mouthed "HD engineers" don't tend to get too much repeat work. Particularly when producers begin to realize that the cost of the extra personnel, HD monitors, black tents and so on, would pay for an awful lot of film, and the bulk of the production costs remain stubbornly unchanged, regardless of the capture format. Plus nobody seems to think the pictures are better, apart from the bozo's who have a vested interest in that being the case!

Jim "Impolitic and Awful" Murdoch

Real World,

Earth

Sol 3

• Premium Member
Hi,

It could be said that they're there to cover up for gaps in the (invariably film-trained) DP's experience.

But that would be quite awfully impolitic to say.

Phil

Phil,

Many film DP's don't know how to load a film camera, its not part of their job. If they came the gaffer route there's no reason why they should. Interestingly David Mullen is happy to work without a DIT, but can't lace up a Panavision.

Stephen