Aaton 35lll or Arri BL4

chooser

I have a two shoot, mostly internal bedroom and kitchen scenes. I fear my trusty blimped BL2 will be a tad to noisy in close, one of the rooms is quite small. Looking at renting a kit. Really just wanted some feedback on the two cameras of choice, Aaton 35lll or Arri BL4. (A BL Evolution is also on the table)

The Arri seems pretty straight forward, but the Aaton is a good size, and had nothing but great shoots with the XTR Prod, although the 35lll's mag loading seems more effort. Noise is the main factor though, well that and weight as will be using a small dolly and gib set up. Running through both cameras at the rental house. But again just want a bit of feedback, general pointers, thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BTW: The dialogue sequences in Lost In Translation, where shot with the Aaton .. yes?

ps: T1.3 Zeiss super Speeds the difference between MKll and lll? .... Mr Low budget here, only really use Cooke Panchros and Zeiss Standards

I have a two shoot, mostly internal bedroom and kitchen scenes. I fear my trusty blimped BL2 will be a tad to noisy in close, one of the rooms is quite small. Looking at renting a kit. Really just wanted some feedback on the two cameras of choice, Aaton 35lll or Arri BL4. (A BL Evolution is also on the table)

The Arri seems pretty straight forward, but the Aaton is a good size, and had nothing but great shoots with the XTR Prod, although the 35lll's mag loading seems more effort. Noise is the main factor though, well that and weight as will be using a small dolly and gib set up. Running through both cameras at the rental house. But again just want a bit of feedback, general pointers, thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BTW: The dialogue sequences in Lost In Translation, where shot with the Aaton .. yes?

ps: T1.3 Zeiss super Speeds the difference between MKll and lll? .... Mr Low budget here, only really use Cooke Panchros and Zeiss Standards

The Aaton 35III is noisier than the Arri BL4. I believe the Aaton is about 31dbA (not sure if this figure is with a barney fitted, it used to be), although 3 perf is quieter at around 24 to 25 dbA.

• Premium Member

Chooser (I hope that isn't your real name),

We have both cameras for rent here at Abel, and it really comes down to what, specifically, you want out of the camera. The ARRI is much quieter than the Aaton, but is also more cumbersome than the Aaton. They're both great cameras, both sync, and both reliable. There are no 1000' magazines for the Aaton, but I actually like the threading of the Aaton better than the ARRI.

If noise is the main factor though, I'd use the BL. May I also suggest a Moviecam.

- Nathan

• Premium Member

If you already own a BL-2, than the BL-4 would be the obvious choice, as it would be the most familiar. The only downside is that you may be spoiled by the viewfinder in the BL-4, which is significantly improved. Mark IIs and IIIs are both T1.3. (A Mark I is a three-blade T1.4 lens.)

The Aaton III is such a pain. Arri makes such no-hassel cameras and the BL-4 is nice and simple and will be very easy for you to use. I dont think it will be too noisey for you. The only thing is that i think it is much bulkier than the Aaton III, especially with a 1000' mag on it.

Edited by mike kaminski

Kind of thought the Arri, logically, German, but the Aaton seemed such a nice light fit, emotional French ..... appreciate the feedback , all the best cheers ...... btw no 1000's just quick changing 400's thanks again

Kind of thought the Arri, logically, German, but the Aaton seemed such a nice light fit, emotional French ..... appreciate the feedback , all the best cheers ...... btw no 1000's just quick changing 400's thanks again

arri is more noisy taka a bl4S more quiet

the aaton is great, the lightest to handheld

one day a tried a bl4s on a steadycam and that day i knew i'll never be a steadycamer!!!!

i'll take the aaton no hesitation

I like the Aaton XtrProd, but I have had nothing but bad times with the 35III. Recently did a feature with the 35III as a 2nd camera to a Panaflex GII, and the whole camera team wanted to kick the Aaton off a tal building. Not just loading the mags, but getting them on the camera was a constant trial for my 2nd, and it wasn't fun for me either. Never had this much trouble with an Arri or a Moviecam. Honestly, it will save you time to go with the BL4.