unobtrusive movement

Ravi Walia

hi, I was watching a film on cable called secret window in which the camera dolly in from wide shot of the house through window, inside and goes further... all as one shot.I have seen it other films also. the question is how do they do it. thanks regards Lama

hi, I was watching a film on cable called secret window in which the camera dolly in from wide shot of the house through window, inside and goes further... all as one shot.I have seen it other films also. the question is how do they do it. thanks regards Lama

i don't know how others do it, but i did a scene where-in i rode i crane with my camera hand-held, from a wide shot the crane swings -in to the house then i walk in to the window flatform slowly without camera shakes, in one motion in to the door then down to the stairs... the danger there is when you are standing up in a 30 feet crane while slowly swinging and no safetybelts. "PLS DONT TRY THAT WITHOUT THE SAFETYNET"

i don't know how others do it, but i did a scene where-in i rode i crane with my camera hand-held, from a wide shot the crane swings -in to the house then i walk in to the window flatform slowly without camera shakes, in one motion in to the door then down to the stairs... the danger there is when you are standing up in a 30 feet crane while slowly swinging and no safetybelts. "PLS DONT TRY THAT WITHOUT THE SAFETYNET"

Hand held? I've gotta guess it wasn't a very steady shot. I know the film "Vanilla Sky" used a similiar technique with one of the opening shots in the times square sequence where an operator was on a crane platform and as it lowered to the ground, stepped off and tracked the Tom Cruise character. Of course, he was a steadicam operator so that's why the shot was so smooth.

I wouldn't know for sure how they achieved the particular shot in question, but my assumption is either they used cgi techniques to generate a computer image of said house and window and seamlessly cut to a live action shot once inside the house (think of the impossible shots David Fincher does in movies like "Fight Club" and "Panic Room" - craning down a 100 story building, going through keyholes, etc) or they could have maybe used a greenscreen.

• Premium Member

There are various ways to do this kind of shot. It might be enough to have a telescopic crane for instance. If you want to actually walk around the house, having a steadicam operator step off a crane (as suggested above) is a failty common procedure. The critical moment is during the step-off, it helps if that can be integrated into a camera movement. Otherwise the completely unmotivated and show-off camera moves of 'Panic Room' (tracking through the handle of a jug anyone? how about tracking into a flashlight?) are individual shots stitched together digitally. Well if your plot sucks you might as well use all the toys in your arsenal to try and distract the viewer...

edit: I mixed up 'Panic Room' with 'Fight Club'

There are various ways to do this kind of shot. It might be enough to have a telescopic crane for instance. If you want to actually walk around the house, having a steadicam operator step off a crane (as suggested above) is a failty common procedure. The critical moment is during the step-off, it helps if that can be integrated into a camera movement. Otherwise the completely unmotivated and show-off camera moves of 'Fight Club' (tracking through the handle of a jug anyone? how about tracking into a flashlight?) are individual shots stitched together digitally. Well if your plot sucks you might as well use all the toys in your arsenal to try and distract the viewer...

WOOOW WOOOOW

Rule Number 1.....do not criticise the fincher ok. Do NEVER criticise camera movements through a 3D animated environment :)

Otherwise the completely unmotivated and show-off camera moves of 'Fight Club' (tracking through the handle of a jug anyone? how about tracking into a flashlight?) are individual shots stitched together digitally. Well if your plot sucks you might as well use all the toys in your arsenal to try and distract the viewer...

Umm, what are your sources for that? The shots are all done with computers. Think carefully - floating through the inside of a trash can, craning down through the surface of a city street into an underground parking garage, etc etc...they're not doing that in camera, buddy. Didn't Mr. Mullen already warn this forum about making stuff up? :blink:

• Premium Member
Umm, what are your sources for that? The shots are all done with computers. Think carefully - floating through the inside of a trash can, craning down through the surface of a city street into an underground parking garage, etc etc...they're not doing that in camera, buddy. Didn't Mr. Mullen already warn this forum about making stuff up? :blink:

First of all I confused 'Panic Room' with 'Fight Club'. I was talking about the shots where the cameras floated through the house.

re: Fight Club:

Thank you for pointing out to me that a camera cannot dive through thrash or through concrete. I never would have thought! You mean they never actually put a camera into Edward Nortons' brain either? I always wondered how they got the credits into his head as well.

• 2 weeks later...
WOOOW WOOOOW

Rule Number 1.....do not criticise the fincher ok. Do NEVER criticise camera movements through a 3D animated environment :)

It's ok, dude. Who doesn't like mastubatory cinema..?! That was a shot, just in case you didn't get it. All in fun , though :lol:

First of all I confused 'Panic Room' with 'Fight Club'. I was talking about the shots where the cameras floated through the house.

Hey, Audiris-

You forgot the shot in Panic Room where the camera goes through the stair banister...! You were not wrong on the Panic Room critique after all. Just the wrong shot.. :D

I don't think anyone here hates the "Fincher". We just have fun.