Beautifully shot Black & White movies

Guest Ian Marks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a mix of both black & white and color and they both look gorgeous. Sometimes they'd even switch from one to the other in the same scene.

The B+W scenes were printed on color stock and from what I've been told the printer lights were allowed to roam freely from scene to scene - hence you get color casts.. I like em!

The darkness and low key lighting are accentuated by most of set being wet throughout.

• Premium Member
Are you SURE you want to say that? I could have *sworn* it was butchered by TCM and colorized. I hope you don't think that Technicolor color is as bad as or cartoonish or as indistinguishable from digital video colorization that you can't tell the difference.

You might change your mind if you saw a print. It looks great.

• Premium Member
Are you SURE you want to say that? I could have *sworn* it was butchered by TCM and colorized. I hope you don't think that Technicolor color is as bad as or cartoonish or as indistinguishable from digital video colorization that you can't tell the difference.

"She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is a beautifully-shot 3-strip Technicolor movie.

• Premium Member
Does "Man Who Wasn't There" or "Good Night & Good Luck" REALLY count if they're shot on color and converted to b&w?

Both gorgeous films, but could another category be made for learning how to shoot color for b&w?

Yes. :P

I distinctly remember seeing this film, in B&W on television.

B/W TV prints of color movies was once not uncommon.

Other fine B/W movies:

Visconti's 'White Nights' / 'Le Notti bianche'. Giuseppe Rotunno.

Kobiyashi's 'Samurai Rebellion'. Kazuo Yamada in TohoScope. He also did the TohoScope classics 'What's Up, Tiger Lilly' and 'I Bombed Pearl Harbor'. My favorite scene in 'Tora Tora Tora', the dawn take off of the attack force from the carriers is from the latter. I love the blue exhaust flames.

Though I think Japanese films are more concerned with framing and composition than with lighting.

Okamato's 'Kiru'. Rokuro Nishigaki in TohoScope. I believe the title is the Japanese transliteretion of Kill.

based on the same novel as 'Sanjuro'. It's a post Italian western samurai film,

Has a number of wide angle anamorphic close ups. Who thought they could focus so close?

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale

B/W TV prints of color movies was once not uncommon.

But not since I was born, in the '80s :P Actually, at least what I can conscioulsy remember, have only once seen a tape made from a television network that was broadcasting straight from a 16mm print, one of my grandmother's ancient copies of Ben Hur. IDK, forget what I said. Chock it to sleep deprivation or ignorance, or stupidity, or a combination thereof.