How Long Did Your Beaulieu Rebuild Take?

Guest santo

Guest santo

Hey, I'm trying to get a general idea of how long it takes on average to get one serviced. I've got one now at a shop and it's been two weeks now since I know it arrived. Not a big deal at this point, but it started me wondering about what people were used to experiencing for a time-frame.

• Premium Member

Hi Alex,

You will have to contact Bjorn directly for scheduling and prices because they may have changed. Here is what he told me back in August and he upheld this agreement. My camera works great now.

"Overhaul US$200-250"

"Filter RemovalUS$45"

"Re-cell of your battery US$130 The cells we fit are 500mAh,

original the battery has only 250mAh cells."

"We always make out a cost estimate when a camera arrive, and let our

customer decide Y/N before start any real work. Estimate is made within

2-4 workdays, work can normal be finished within 5 workdays after Y to

estimate. Payment can be made via bank transfer or Paypal."

Regards

Björn Andersson

Hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

• Premium Member

Sounds like there are four distinct steps that need to be taken.

Camera is shipped to Bjorn (1 week minimum?)

Camera is estimated (a week or less)

If estimate is approved (up to one more week to do the work)

Camera shipped back (1 week).

We're near that magical month plateau for those of us living in the U.S.

The irony is Bjorn is probably a lot faster than anyone in the states, so whatever time

might be saved in shipping in the states will probably get taken up via a longer estimate/repair.

Now if one had Bjorn for a neighbor.....

Guest santo

A month ain't bad with shipping as part of that month. Seems like a reasonable enough standard.

I sent my Beaulieu 3008 to Super 16, Inc in Maine. http://super16inc.com/ Seems like a good guy, this Bernie O'Doherty. Prices right in line with Bjorn's low end and I didn't have to ship all the way to Sweden. We'll see how it works out.

I sent my Beaulieu 3008 to Super 16, Inc in Maine. http://super16inc.com/ Seems like a good guy, this Bernie O'Doherty. Prices right in line with Bjorn's low end and I didn't have to ship all the way to Sweden. We'll see how it works out.

Ahh, but does Mr. O'Doherty have any Beaulieu spare parts? One of the nice things about sending to Bjorn in my experience is that he installed a new rubber eyepiece and was able to replace a couple of worn parts.

• Premium Member
Ahh, but does Mr. O'Doherty have any Beaulieu spare parts? One of the nice things about sending to Bjorn in my experience is that he installed a new rubber eyepiece and was able to replace a couple of worn parts.

This brings up a new issue. Is it wise to have all the Super-8 repair eggs in one international basket?

If Bjorn can "spare" a few spare parts (for sale of course) maybe he could offer some of his new beaulieu parts for sale to one qualified Beaulieu person in the United States.

And before anyone says that is a ridiculous idea, then don't ever criticize Pro-8mm, because that is the kind of thing they would be accused of doing and criticized for doing, trying to monopolize something.

Guest santo

You guys have been hanging out on that Scandanavian based website too long. :D About all the parts Bjorn has is what Beaulieu Sweden had. :lol: I'm sure he's got a good supply, and I am certain he does great work, but he's hardly hording the world's supply. How do you think what he's got compares to the parts that Beaulieu USA had or Beaulieu Germany had -- a warehouse in the latter case now in Wittner's hands:

hp_umzug.jpg

You ask a bunch of guys from Sweden, Finland, and Norway where the best place to get your Beaulieu rebuilt is, they'll tell you it's a guy from Sweden. And that's only because there aren't any guys in Finland and Norway! Think about it.

O'Doherty uses only factory original parts.

You ask a bunch of guys from Sweden, Finland, and Norway where the best place to get your Beaulieu rebuilt is, they'll tell you it's a guy from Sweden. And that's only because there aren't any guys in Finland and Norway! Think about it.

The majority of people on the films***ting board aren't/weren't Scandanavian, unless you're really Sanders Santossen. :)

It's hard to find good Beaulieu repair people. The consensus seems to be that Irv Higdon in California is old and crotchety, and someone recently made a comment that Wittner was difficult to contact. That contrasts sharply with the word on the street about Bjorn. Having sent equipment to him several times, I can attest that he beat my expectations as far as quality of work and speed (took him about four days from receipt --> quote --> repair).

This is the first I've heard of Mr. O'Doherty. If he does good work, it makes sense for those in the USA to send their equipment to him (although his focus seems to be 16mm equipment).

As Canadians, we lose a little of the convenience because we have to pay a shade more to send the camera down and USPS can be expensive when shipping back to Canada using their Global Express "International" service.

Guest santo

Well, the last thing I'd do is say that Bjorn Andersson is not tip-top. I've been impressed with our correspondence by email and PM on that Scandanavian board and he has a very good reputation for the most part, but I sat around looking at all the alternatives and it didn't make sense that you'd have to send a little super 8 camera all the way to Sweden of all places just to get a good camera tech. These aren't Arriflex 435 or something -- they're just simple little super 8 cameras.

Some North American alternatives I came up with for servicing were Duall, Abel, Pro8. I liked the look of Duall, but started to investigate further and came up with Super 16 Inc (O'Doherty). Did a little searching on here and found good reviews of him repairing 16mm cameras.

We'll see how it goes with him when I get the camera back, but so far he comes across as a nice guy with very fair prices. And he's got the most impressive resume I've ever seen for a camera tech you'd send your little Beaulieu super 8 to. Trained by Eclair, trained by Angenieux, camera tech on a James Bond movie and Battle of Britain, then on to his own business as special camera engineer for Jaques Cousteau, NASA, Panavision. Oscar nominated for one of his Panavision innovations, Emerson instructor, and now the guy runs his own little camera repair shop in picturesque Maine (although I've read accounts what he's got there is mind-blowing). He also used to be subcontracted Beaulieu repair guy for Chambless (maybe he still is, I don't know). I mean if this guy can't rebuild my basic little 3008 back to spec... then I don't know what...

And he's got the most impressive resume I've ever seen for a camera tech you'd send your little Beaulieu super 8 to. now the guy runs his own little camera repair shop in picturesque Maine (although I've read accounts what he's got there is mind-blowing). He also used to be subcontracted Beaulieu repair guy for Chambless (maybe he still is, I don't know). I mean if this guy can't rebuild my basic little 3008 back to spec... then I don't know what...

Let us know how your repair experience goes, he sounds like an excellent resource. What are his rates like?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
It's finally ready. It took about two months, but my Beaulieu 4008 is refurbished, lubed, warrantied and ready for shooting. Thanks Irv!

i just got my 4008 ZM back from irv too. it took about 3 or so months. everything seemed in order till i set up my first test shot. nothing happened. i cant figure it out. i was hoping to pop off a few shots to start the near year off on a good foot, oh well. its going back to cali. i cant help but think its a user error since i just got it back, but i know my way around this camera fairly well. i like irv. i hope this mishap was a freak of nature and not something that happens often.

post-27901-1199133695.jpg

Edited by Orlando Thompson

Sounds like there are four distinct steps that need to be taken.

Camera is shipped to Bjorn (1 week minimum?)

Camera is estimated (a week or less)

If estimate is approved (up to one more week to do the work)

Camera shipped back (1 week).

We're near that magical month plateau for those of us living in the U.S.

The irony is Bjorn is probably a lot faster than anyone in the states, so whatever time

might be saved in shipping in the states will probably get taken up via a longer estimate/repair.

Now if one had Bjorn for a neighbor.....

whats Bjorn's info. i may have to send my 4008 ZM to him.

i just got my 4008 ZM back from irv too. it took about 3 or so months. everything seemed in order till i set up my first test shot. nothing happened. i cant figure it out. i was hoping to pop off a few shots to start the near year off on a good foot, oh well. its going back to cali. i cant help but think its a user error since i just got it back, but i know my way around this camera fairly well. i like irv. i hope this mishap was a freak of nature and not something that happens often.

3 or so months? That is way too long. Bjorn sorted out an old lens and a service of my long since sold off 7008 within a week, back when I dealt with him a few years ago. He's "the" Beaulieu man to deal with.

3 or so months? That is way too long. Bjorn sorted out an old lens and a service of my long since sold off 7008 within a week, back when I dealt with him a few years ago. He's "the" Beaulieu man to deal with.

I sent a 4008 ZM II bought on ebay from a seller in Switzerland and it was jammed, dead battery and a few other problems.

My tech, M. Beaulieu (!) repaired it within a month here in Montreal, Canada for 250$ CAN. Cleaned, lubed and aligned perfectly.

http://www.makisoft.net/universel-photo.

Happy new year to all S8 guys !

whats Bjorn's info. i may have to send my 4008 ZM to him.

Björn Andersson, Filmkonsult Svebaco KB, Vidholmsbackarna 54, 165 72 Hasselby, Sweden

EMAIL: bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu

TEL: +46 (0) 8-38 10 74

Edited by Joe Uman