Superman Returns DP "I'm sorry"

This is from IGN.com. It's from an interview with with Eva Marie Saint. I wish I could be able to laugh off a mistake like this.

"Brandon Routh? We had this emotional scene? He has to come home after five years? He's been gone [and] we play this emotional scene the first time really working together. It went on for about an hour and then the cinematographer said, 'I'm sorry, I didn't get it.' They didn't get the film? Brandon said, 'Oh,' and I said, 'No, no, no. Just take a deep breath, just make believe you're doing Broadway [and] you're going to do the same right over again. That was a rehearsal. And so, we did the scene, but I remember Bryan Singer, the director, saying, 'Well, that cost us about $600,000 dollars, that hour?"

I guess they didn't see that the red light wasn't blinking. :D

• 2 weeks later...

"I just didn't get it" could mean a million things, though.

It might've been focus, it might've been technical, it might have been the actor missing his mark, but the DP being incredibly diplomatic and taking the blame on himself in order to not put the actor in a weird head-space in the middle of a difficult performance. It might've been the DP asking for another take because the director somehow indicated he needed one but also needed the excuse (directing is a delicate business, and who knows what the dynamic is like, maybe he knew he intimidate the first time actor and he would freeze up if the director asked for another take, but would be more comfortable if he thought it was just for technical reasons, who knows).

It's an interesting quote, but I don't think it actually says anything about the Genesis per se.

I remember Bryan Singer, the director, saying, 'Well, that cost us about $600,000 dollars, that hour?"

Never mind the reason for not getting the shot, doesn't anyone else rail against the obscenity of this level of budgeting?

Sure, a lot of people are getting work out of it - but still . . .

$600,000 extra dollars to reshoot a take?

Yeah, right.

i don't know if the actor is full of poop, the director, or the interviewer, but someone is. Given that some EXTREME exaggeration exists in that interview, then perhaps none of it even happened.

I don't believe much of what I read when it's coming from actors being interviewed, since they're usually engaging in career building every time they open their mouth in front of a camera or tape recorder.

Like all the actors who say they do their own stunts, for instance.

I seriously doubt the bond company would allow that, and if they ARE doing their own stunts, then they're putting stuntmen/women out of work.

Aren't there union rules against this anyway?

I mean, you aren't going to see Tom Cruise start gaffing on his films, right?

Actually, that would be a funny joke, if in an interview, and actor started bragging about doing his own grip work or something.

MP

Actually, that would be a funny joke, if in an interview, and actor started bragging about doing his own grip work or something.

MP

Well actually, on "House of Wax", Paris Hilton did quite a bit of "DPing".

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

As I recall on Saving Private Ryan, didn't Edward Burns blow a million dollar shot? He was supposed to throw a grenade or something and it slipped backwards out of his hand , and instead of just going with it he kind of spaced? I think this is true. It was a wide shot showing all the boats and blimps and men running up behind him, explosions, the whole 9 yard. Maybe I just want to believe it....I swear I recall reading an interview with Burns about this though! I don't even think the shot is in the finished film...

• 7 months later...

Sorry to mention this if it already had, but I just worked on a film with Stephan Bender who played superman as a boy - I was talking to his dad on set, and he told me that they only used the genesis for a few of the special effects shots - and that it was like 95% film camera usage. Is this new info for you guys... it certainly suprised me.

• Premium Member
Sorry to mention this if it already had, but I just worked on a film with Stephan Bender who played superman as a boy - I was talking to his dad on set, and he told me that they only used the genesis for a few of the special effects shots - and that it was like 95% film camera usage. Is this new info for you guys... it certainly suprised me.

It's not true. I've talked to Tom Sigel a number of times about the shoot, and I went to a lecture on the film by the effects supervisor and post supervisor. Besides, your own eyes will tell you watching the screen that it was not shot on film except for a few shots.

, but I just worked on a film with Stephan Bender who played superman as a boy - I was talking to his dad on set, and he told me that they only used the genesis for a few of the special effects shots - and that it was like 95% film camera usage. Is this new info for you guys... it certainly suprised me.

Ah yes,

The parent's of child actors, always the most reliable sources of information about cinematography.

Seriously, BALDERDASH! I was at the same presentation as David and I have been to many others regarding SUPERMAN. It was shot mostly on the Genesis.

Now I am going to ask Dakota Fanning's mom about what stock to shoot. :o

Alan Lasky

Ah yes,

The parent's of child actors, always the most reliable sources of information about cinematography.

Seriously, BALDERDASH! I was at the same presentation as David and I have been to many others regarding SUPERMAN. It was shot mostly on the Genesis.

Now I am going to ask Dakota Fanning's mom about what stock to shoot. :o

Alan Lasky

Just perfect! :lol:

You allowed myself a good laugh, Alan. Thank you! :)

On a recent Genesis film I worked on, we learned our lesson regarding this.

The camera was on a crane far from reach, and the shot involved animals, so we kept rolling and rolling, until the 1st had to say, "I think that must be it" ; we had in fact rolled out (the director not too pleased), and since, we ALWAYS put the big red REC sign, and the DP was very specific about having it. Even if video village was at first not too pleased, everybody soon learned how valuable it was.

best,