JAPANAZOOM

Guest santo

Guest santo

I throw around a lot of terms I've coined in the past for super 8 boards so that we can more accurately describe things as they are, rather than as they are imagined. I thought that maybe it's a good time to begin a thread to which I can add terms as they come to mind which are new to the English language and will no doubt be added to dictionaries like Oxford and Websters and, for now, internet search engines. To start, here's one I use from time to time -- japanazoom . A possible dictionary entry for japanazoom :

japanazoom5in.jpg

It comes off as a vaguely racist term since the prefix "Japana" is used as a negative.

My feelings exactly. But Santo is beyond reproach because he knows everything, so we are stuck using the term in our day-to-day conversation for the rest of our lives if we want to be taken seriously in the film community. Oh the price we pay to be guided by Santo. But it's worth it I guess, because pretty soon we'll be able to talk down to everyone, belittle people whose opinion differs from our own, and whatever else we need to do to pump our own damaged egos.

Thank you M'Lord Santo, thank you M'Lord Santo.

(Oh, and David, it's not "vaguely" racist. It reads as full-on racist.)

Rick

Edited by Rick Palidwor

I kind of smile at myself knowing I spurred this thread.

To think, the great and powerful Santo needs to justify what he says to a lowly 15-year-old who shoots his 8mm movies off the wall to edit on his Mac :P .

To think, the great and powerful Santo needs to justify what he says to a lowly 15-year-old who shoots his 8mm movies off the wall to edit on his Mac :P .

While it might look like you spurred the thread, Santo has been tossing around his racist jargon for a long time. For some reason he has now decided to try and institutionalize it. Boggles the mind, I know.

Rick

Guest santo

I find such terms as "rice rocket" offensive as a racist term, and yet that has entered the popular jargon and is used by Asians regularly. Japanazoom merely describes a philosophy and products of a majority of camera manufacturers from, well, Japan, in the era of 1970's and 1980's. Ridiculous cameras and lenses.

Likely if we had super 8 cameras manufactured by original and innovative Japanese camera manufacturers like, say, Olympus, such a term wouldn't be entering common use. Judging by the OM2n I proudly own, it would have been terrific and first-rate. But that was not to be.

Guest santo

:lol: Well, no. Google's recent addition of Japanazoom as a search term spurred this thread. This word's future inclusion in dictionaries seems to merit a thread to make sure it is clarified.

:lol: Well, no. Google's recent addition of Japanazoom as a search term spurred this thread. This word's future inclusion in dictionaries seems to merit a thread to make sure it is clarified.

Santo you're freaking me out. I googled Japanazoom and came back with two hits, both from you using the term on filmshooting.com.

You make it sound like it's a bonafide term being used far and wide and you are only trying to keep us up to speed with the current lexicon, and yet google "added it as a search term" because pretty well anyword used on the web, if the page is indexed, will turn up. You used it, so Google found it. Stop making it sound like anything other than it is: racist terminology from a pompous idiot.

Rick

Guest santo

You are making something out of nothing. It says more about you than it does about me. And likely it is only a desperate attempt to somehow paint the guy who pointed out how stupid and useless your stupidduper8 gimmick was for that awful "feature" with a tar and feather brush. Won't work.

My lovely wife is Japanese (a few generations ago). I look forward to some day having half-Japanese kids. But you know what we'll call them? CANADIANS. Imagine that! No ethnic qualifiers!

This webboard is about super 8. Let's keep it that way. If you want to talk about bizarre issues unrelated to super 8, I suggest you stay on filmshooting/conspiracytheory/slotcars.com. There's a thread you'll feel right at home with right now: http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/...=13382&start=45

• Premium Member
You are making something out of nothing. It says more about you than it does about me. And likely it is only a desperate attempt to somehow paint the guy who pointed out how stupid and useless your stupidduper8 gimmick was for that awful "feature" with a tar and feather brush. Won't work.

My lovely wife is Japanese (a few generations ago). I look forward to some day having half-Japanese kids. But you know what we'll call them? CANADIANS. Imagine that! No ethnic qualifiers!

This webboard is about super 8. Let's keep it that way. If you want to talk about bizarre issues unrelated to super 8, I suggest you stay on filmshooting/conspiracytheory/slotcars.com. There's a thread you'll feel right at home with right now: http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/...=13382&start=45

and right above Santos rant it says.... Cinematography.com > Cinematography Forums > Super-8 Only > JAPANAZOOM.....

Japanazoom topic started by Santo but now you claim to only want to talk about super-8?

I didn't bother to check out google.com when you claimed that Japanazoom was a new term being used to describe japanese 70's cameras, but most certainly your mad dog use of the term doesn't legitimize the word if no normal human being has used the word outside of responding to you.

That is creepy.

Guest morris milne

Santo, please stop this rudeness and abuse to other forum members... almost every post on this board (from you) has some sarcastic comment about Filmshooting.com members or rubbish about Japan made cameras...

Get over yourself.

This has to be THE most offensive thread i have read. I'm very dissapointed.

Please just stick to what your good at and leave all this personall cr*p out of the forum or save it for PM's

Actually, the original comments from you regarding my film Sleep Always was mostly positive. You have slowly begun disliking it over time in direct proportion to my calling you on the nonsense you write. I love it. It shows me how objective you are.

Now it's a search term on Yahoo. How about that.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=japanazoo...1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Like with google, the only thing this links to is a single mention of the term by you. You are referencing back to yourself, like a dog chasing it's own tail. Very entertaining for most of us, but it does nothing to advance your point or your stature.

Rick

• Premium Member

Back in my crazy sports car racing days my buddies and me all raced English cars. We referred to Japanese cars like the 260Z's as being made out of "fish heads and rice paper" and called them rice burners. We weren't being racist about it - just having fun with the whole concept of Japanese sports cars. I lived in Chicago where there are a lot of ethnic European groups who always were grousing that nothing was made in the USA like in the "Old Country". My buddy Cliff Kabamoto had a lot of fun talking about how good the cars from his folk's "Old Country" were - yes, he was talking about Datsuns and Toyotas.

I'm not certain if "Japanazoom" is very respectful of the country the cameras came from. In truth the Japanese did one heck of a job of building inexpensive 8mm gear for the masses. Most of them may be pretty much junkers by now but they're all 30 and 40 years old and have never been to Alan Gordan for a tuneup. I suspect a lot of our revered Arri 2's, etc. would be junk by now if they hadn't spent their service lives being used by professionals who take good care of them and send them to professionals for service.

Edmond, OK

Is it wrong that I read 80% of the threads I do on this forum 'cause of the fact that a poop-starter started the thread/posted there? As opposed to 'cause I crave knowledge on the craft of cinematography/direction? Oh well.

YOUR ALL fu**ED.

why the hell are you wasting your time with such a completely usless and pointless thread.

what happned to a simple "good on ya" then move along.

im pretty sure you all know your positions. ie - every one hates santo. and he hates every one else.

so drop it. go to my thread instead :D

• Premium Member
YOUR ALL fu**ED.

why the hell are you wasting your time with such a completely usless and pointless thread.

what happned to a simple "good on ya" then move along.

im pretty sure you all know your positions. ie - every one hates santo. and he hates every one else.

so drop it. go to my thread instead :D

In a strange sort of way, your comment is the most devisive.

Are talking about my f***ed? <_<

No really, it's , "...you're all f***ed..." As in You ARE all f***ed. " :P

F***ed isn't a noun....

Just messin' with ya. I had to make a post on this thread. It has become a right of passage to all members it seems.

Edited by BARCA

• Premium Member
Are talking about my f***ed? <_<

No really, it's , "...you're all f***ed..." As in You ARE all f***ed. " :P

F***ed isn't a noun....

Just messin' with ya. I had to make a post on this thread. It has become a right of passage to all members it seems.

I admit I don't understand what "Good on ya" means, but it doesn't seem to apply to the author of this thread. Unless "Good on ya" means "it (topic title) fits Santo well???" as in "Good on ya" means "you wear it well?".

I feel that from the context it must mean "how nice that that's your opinion. Jackass," or something similar. Am I right? Close?

haha yeh it is spot on!!! :D

yeh and sorry your not all fu**ed. just misguided perhaps.