NAB

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

So, who's going?

I've been lucky enough to score a press pass to the entire event, which has the upside that I get to see the digital cinema summit for the first time ever, but the downside that I'm being spammed by companies who think I'm important and are more hungry for exposure than a film student shooting Kodachrome at nightfall.

So, around scheduling "a few minutes to discuss awareness trends in trend-awareness" and "a moment to talk with our CEO, Griffith G. McGriffithson II, about this paradigm shift in metatrend-awareness awarenessability", maybe we could organise some sort of informal get together.

Phil

• Premium Member
I'll be there Tues. afternoon and all day Wed.

Hey Mitch, I'll be there Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday. We should hook up. Would love to finally meet you in person, and we can swap pics of the kids.

-Tim

I'll be there from Sunday through Thursday to check out Newteks VT 5, Lightwave 9, the JVC HD100, HVX 200, and XDcam HD cameras. I think it's going to be a great NAB for inexpensive HD, although I hope to keep shooting film, and start using HD in post.

• Premium Member
Ooh, are they going to be there?

With something other than a pretty box with the name on the side?

Probably not, but at least one ex-AJA employee will be working in the RED booth at NAB (FWIW, article on HD for Indies):

http://hdforindies.com/

I probably won't make it to NAB this year, but I'm hoping there might be announced some new toys to potentially connect to the SDI output connector on my DSR-450WSL camcorder.

For example, Panasonic is supposed to announce pricing and shipping info on their new little all-in-one portable DVCPRO-HD P2 recorder with built-in LCD display and (probably optional) upconversion.

I'm hoping there will be a slew of new little portable boxes which do things like convert SDI to a variety of HD flavors, and also portable SDI recorders ... a small BonsaiDrive-like device with gigabit ethernet would be nice!

I'm also hoping for truly good quality -- but not so insanely expensive -- portable LCD monitors!

I think that's a good idea, Phil.

Not sure about the Venetian, but I think the film sound guys (rec.arts.movies.production.sound) meet at The Firefly http://www.fireflylv.com/ on Tuesday night. It's a small restaurant, and from what I hear they're expecting about 60 sound people, mostly film mixers. We could piggyback that party, or find a fresh venue.

Let's say 9PM. That allows for people to finish up at Apple, Promax, and other popular Tuesday night parties.

The RAMPS party there should be wrapping up about 9 too.

I'll send out a bulk forum email Friday noon announcing the get together, so add your input or concerns to this thread before then.