Can you Identify the Bolex????

Kirk Anderson

So, somehow I've ended up with quite a little 16mm windup collection. I guess I've gotten carried away and I've collected 2 K3's (one M42 and one old school bayo) and also 2 Bolex H16, reflex.

My question is about the two bolex. I need to sell some of my stuff, basically because I don't need it and i could use the cash for a motor for the bolex. I'm going to keep one K3 and one Bolex. I've posted pictures of the two Bolex Camera bodies and I was wondering if anyone can identify them, and choose which one would be better to attach a sync sound motor.

Also, which motor would fit and work best? (model name?)

My guess is the first one is a Rex 1 and the second one is a Rex 2. The serial numbers are:

1)184114 2)197351

(sorry about the Pics, my screen got busted on my digital camera so i can't look at them before putting them on the computer.)

Edited by Kircules

I was wondering if anyone can identify them, and choose which one would be better to attach a sync sound motor.

Also, which motor would fit and work best? (model name?)

My guess is the first one is a Rex 1 and the second one is a Rex 2. The serial numbers are:

1)184114 2)197351

I think you might be correct re. the model types - if you were going to keep one then keep the RX2 as it has a bigger viewfinder, you could if you wish pull all the shiniest/best bits of each and make one good bolex keeping the other for spare parts ...

I would suggest instead selling both and getting a model with a 1:1 spindle - RX4-5 and SB/SBM - there are many more options for aftermarket motors for the 1:1 spindle wind-ups than for the 8:1 only versions like yours...

Good luck (;

We used a MCE 17 (if i remember correctly) motor fitted to the Bolex RX1 that had sync contacts. Basically it cut a 1000 hz tone that was recorded on a modified Tandberg 1/4". It sort of worked, but was extremely unreliable - you were lucky if it worked 50% of the time.

Later, we used a hired Arri 16 BL from which we plugged the 50 HZ sync into the sync track on the Tandberg. Life then became extremely easy: we only to worry about trying to make a good film.

hi there

this site has a massive and I think complete database of bolex models:

http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/bolex/history/index.html

good luck!

G

Thanks for the link...I'm frustrated now that I paid $200 for a Bolex H16S thinking it was a Rex-3 based on the serial number listed on Tobin's site....sigh....Now I need to sell this useless white elephant and I doubt I'll get paid as much as I shelled out.

Thanks for the link...I'm frustrated now that I paid $200 for a Bolex H16S thinking it was a Rex-3 based on the serial number listed on Tobin's site....

I do state on the site that the model number CANNOT be determined from the serial number alone. This is because all of the H cameras, reflex and nonreflex, 8mm and 16mm, share the same serial number sequence. This is why I have many photos to help you determine your model. This several pages of good information can be seen at www.tobincinemasystems.com and click on Identifying Your Bolex H Camera.

If you have an early camera without the 1:1 shaft, you can use our TXM-26B crystal motor which drives the 8 frame shaft.

I do state on the site that the model number CANNOT be determined from the serial number alone. This is because all of the H cameras, reflex and nonreflex, 8mm and 16mm, share the same serial number sequence.

the bases can be removed and interchanged also - the S/N as far as I can see is not on the inside mechanism plates or body - just the bottom plate which is affixed by only 4 screws... not sure if the RX 1,2 and 3 plates will fit the 4 or 5 tho - but my EL plate fits on my RX4 :o