Your favourite and most evocative tunes for a showreel?

I'm planning to re-do my showreel at the end of the year so I'm starting to collect different tunes that I think I can use for some sequences.

For fun...what are your favourite tunes?

At the moment I quite like:

Kill Bill Theme

Motorcycle Diaries Theme

Amelie Theme

My Summer of Love Theme

I actually also quite like 'Pure Shores' By All Saint but I'm scared it might be a bit cheesy!

I'm planning to re-do my showreel at the end of the year so I'm starting to collect different tunes that I think I can use for some sequences.

For fun...what are your favourite tunes?

At the moment I quite like:

Kill Bill Theme

Motorcycle Diaries Theme

Amelie Theme

My Summer of Love Theme

I actually also quite like 'Pure Shores' By All Saint but I'm scared it might be a bit cheesy!

Use a program like Soundtrack Pro or Garage Band or the Windows equivalent. Soundtrack is great for this sort of thing and you don't have to be a musician to use it. Speaking of musicians, put an add out on Craiglist for an up and coming composer. This person might score your reel purely for the experience. I don't know the letter of the law on this one, but you may be able to use copywritten material for a show reel, as long as that is the only intended use. But why take the chance when you can grow your own.

I'm not sure how many of us want to admit we are using copyrighted music for our reels...

How about...

'As a hypothetical question, if money was no object and you could obtain the rights to use any evocative piece of music for your showreel, what would it be?...'

I knew I should have paid more attention when I was doing some law classes at university!... ;)

• Premium Member

I like a lot of Thomas Newman's evocative film score work, such as from "The Horse Whisperer", "Shawshank Redemption", "American Beauty", "Little Women", etc.

I also like Carter Burwell's music for the Coen Brother's films, especially the main title to "Miller's Crossing" (used in the "Shawshank Redemption" trailers.)

The main themes for "2046" and "In the Mood for Love".

"Amelie".

Some of Yo Yo Ma's cello music CD's have good stuff for a reel, classical and whatnot -- there's a good one of Ennio Morricone music.

John William's theme to "Born on the Fourth of July".

The problem is always finding images to match the power of the music - you don't want to fall short.

It may be saying something about me, but the scores of Ennio Morricone (Any spaghetti Western), Roy Budd (Get Carter, original), Lalo Schifrin (Bullitt), Bernard Hermann (North by Northwest), But if I were a film I would like to open with John Barry and Shirley Basey belting the vocals. Probably all not appropriate for show reels though.

Graeme

• Premium Member

The band I absolutely had to have on my reel was the Pixies. I also use a Shins tune. Unfortunately, I really despise my reel right now and am in the process of updating it, but I'll still manage to get some Pixies stuff on there, even though I doubt I'll have any of the shots on the new reel that I have on the current one.