16mm telecine

Matthew Buick

• Premium Member
How much does telecine for 100ft of 16mm film usually cost ?

Generally, transferring only 100 feet (less than 3 minutes) of 16mm film will be expensive, since most transfer houses charge on an hourly basis, which might also include set-up charges.

• Premium Member

Different transfer places charge different rates. I had a school project done at my local lab and had a sitdown color correction transfer session and it wasn't too expensive. I had about 250 ft or so of 16mm and it cost me only $140, the colorist did a magnificent job.

Kev

I have heard London transfers are expensive.

You may be able to get a better deal in NY and LA. Then again a cheaper deal if you to one of the post production houses in smaller US cities.

Many of them will negotiate a bit especially if you are a student like offering an unsupervised overnight rate. They charge more for a supervised session.

Stephen is right though, you'll have to talk to whichever lab you are going to use sooner or later.

It is very likely that shooting 100' will not be worth getting it transferred if they are going to charge 300 bucks or more per hour. You may as well go in with 500 to 800 feet which I believe most places can do in a hour.

There are other options as some film chain technology is better than it was 20 years ago. moviestuff transfers in texas does a fairly decent job for a ccd:miniDV format for the budget minded who does not have the cash for a top of the line telecine. In is not a real time transfer. They digitize one frame at a time and save it to a file for color correction, and then they transfer it to tape. I did some S8 with them which wasn't bad. Just a bit more contrast then a rank or spirit transfer using davinci and obviously not a broadcast quailty version but useful (and cheaper) for what I was doing with it.

Best

Tim

They won't listen to a mere teen, but I think you're right about them being costly.

What makes you think they won't listen to a teen? If the cash is green, they'll take your business ...well in the US anyway

Best

Tim

• Premium Member

Prices are usually per hour, although they breakdown the bill in 15-minute chunks usually -- and I mean time to telecine, not running time of the footage. You can roughly double the time for now, give yourself approx. two hours to transfer one hour of footage, but it really depends on the time spent color-correcting. Unsupervised transfers will be cheaper than supervised ones, but you may not get the look you envisioned if you aren't there to supervise.

Price also depends on the type of telecine and the recording format you are going to.

100' is so short that it's almost worth waiting until you have a little more to transfer. Most places are going to have some sort of minimum, both minimum developing amount and minimum telecine time booked and paid for.

Colorlab Prices:

Leader Prep and Clean - $0.04 per foot

One Light Telecine - $0.19 per foot (15 minute minimum charge $102.50)

Best Light Telecine - $0.30 per foot (15 minute minimum charge $162.00)

Unsupervised Scene to Secen - $350.00 per hour of work (1/2 hour minimum charge)

+ Tape Stock (Digital Betacam, Betacam SP, DVCAM, DVCPRO, MiniDV)

Prices are usually per hour, although they breakdown the bill in 15-minute chunks usually -- and I mean time to telecine, not running time of the footage. You can roughly double the time for now, give yourself approx. two hours to transfer one hour of footage, but it really depends on the time spent color-correcting. Unsupervised transfers will be cheaper than supervised ones, but you may not get the look you envisioned if you aren't there to supervise.

Price also depends on the type of telecine and the recording format you are going to.

100' is so short that it's almost worth waiting until you have a little more to transfer. Most places are going to have some sort of minimum, both minimum developing amount and minimum telecine time booked and paid for.

Yep, thanks very much, I'll think the stuff I use to practice on I'll just leave untelecined, and the stuff I really want to show, the stuff that made me want to be a Cinematographer in the first place, I make a website for when the time arises.

They won't listen to a mere teen, but I think you're right about them being costly.

Just deepen your voice and talk real slow and low. First tell a fantstic joke. That always fools them. Then it's time to get down to business. They'll know you're a man fore sure.

HA HA HA HA HA

Now for a joke :

Two Legomen are wallking down the street talking to each other, suddenly the first Legoman cries out in pain. ''What's wrong ?'' asks the first Legoman, ''Oh nothing'' replied the second Legoman'' I just stood on a Lego Brick, thats all.''

• 2 weeks later...