Quality Equipment Purchases

Rhonda L. McReynolds

I am tired of trying to find something on eBay that is of decent quality. I know these cameras are over 20 years old, but still, you would think a basic all around decent camera is out there that actually works when the seller says it works. I've narrowed my searches to only two or three brands of cameras (Canon, Nikon, Nizo), I make sure the seller has a decent return policy, and I review their feedback. Yet, I am still getting burned.

I appreciate suggestions on other ways to find good equipment at a fair price.

(sorry for the rant)

I don't know if this would be any help but as soon as I score my next keeper camera, I'm sending it to a repai shop to have it lubed, cleaned, repaired if needed and the lens collimated. If I use the camera extensively I'll ask the repair shop how often I should send it in for maintence. To me this seems the best way to fight father time and these now old cameras.

You ought to got through quite a few camera bodies. I've got a bunch of the sound and silent Nizo's. I bought like five of them from just one chap who was not interested in them. A few work great. I would assume a hit of one good camera from every two or three finds, and treat them as disposable cameras.

Do you have something specific that the Canon Nikon & Nizo's fulfill? Why narrow your choices when so many good cams abound? Try some of the other brands, I would think being choosy is bad with Super 8. They each have their unique personalities. What's wrong with the Russian, Elmos, Chinon, Bolex and Beaulieus?

Who services them for you? I'm in Europe, and I've only heard of a few folks who service Super 8. Bjorn Andersson services Beaulieu's. The 4008 ZMII's cameras are sexy, cool and classy and glamourous. If you have the money to fix up a quality camera, get a few of them, and use Bjorn.

Get a Russian super 8 from Olex in the Ukraine or other vendor. Those Soviet Double Super 8 are built like a tank, and have excellent prime lenses, film gates, are very small and easy to shoot. Their problem is finding somebody to split the film stock after processing. The Bolex 160 macro is another wonderfull camera, one of the earliest, sharpest, and exotic cameras in the world! I picked up a perfectly good, Bolex 155 macro for £5.00 last month.

Gianni in London

I am open to repair shop suggestions as well. Lord knows I have plenty that needs fixin' (as we say here in the south)

I am tired of trying to find something on eBay that is of decent quality. I know these cameras are over 20 years old, but still, you would think a basic all around decent camera is out there that actually works when the seller says it works. I've narrowed my searches to only two or three brands of cameras (Canon, Nikon, Nizo), I make sure the seller has a decent return policy, and I review their feedback. Yet, I am still getting burned.

I appreciate suggestions on other ways to find good equipment at a fair price.

(sorry for the rant)

Hi, where are you located in the World?

Do you have something specific that the Canon Nikon & Nizo's fulfill? Why narrow your choices when so many good cams abound? Try some of the other brands, I would think being choosy is bad with Super 8. They each have their unique personalities. What's wrong with the Russian, Elmos, Chinon, Bolex and Beaulieus?

I actually have two others I bought years ago, a Bolex 581 and a "point and shoot" Bell and Howell. I have an experimental film class this fall and I wanted one of the other three for the project. I have read they have great lenses, manual override for the light meter, and can read all films. I'm open to other cameras, just not at this moment for the project.

Who services them for you?

I'm in Dallas, Texas and I am not aware of anyone who services them here. I need to find that out. Thanks for the info!

Edited by jclavin

I forgot to mention, but the best place in the world to get information about Super 8 Kit is the Shooting section of onsuper 8 org:

http://www.onsuper8.org

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/shoot.html

Covers Equipment Sales and Repairs, Filmstock and some Equipment Guides too. It will take a year or more just to get to grips with the super 8 scene. If you are just starting out, remember the learning process is life long, and long term. The rewards will keep on comming as long as you keep on investing your time and effort. Good luck in the film course.

If you can, shoot & view plenty of carts prior to starting the class. Experiment with your film and cameras outside of class, to master the equipment techniques, so you can experiment with your filmmaking grammar, syntax and language in the class. (Unless it's a hardware technique course)

Don't worry about cameras (too much) for now if they produce a decent image and work ok. Spend the cash on film and processing, maybe some talent like writers or catering on the shoot! Get people to give you money and film and cameras in exchange for credits, and spend the money at the lab.

Think of this journey as a long angled slope, easy at first, getting steeper the farther you go along. As you get more experienced, you get more demanding of your kit and resources. Hopefully you'll soon be posting in the 16, 35mm, or HD forums!

Gianni in London

Guest shutter bug

how about a mix of the old with the new.ive seen a few beaulieu's with dead motors going very cheaply.i had one myself.get the thing serviced and the motor removed.connect the tobin sync motor. bingo!

how about a mix of the old with the new.ive seen a few beaulieu's with dead motors going very cheaply.i had one myself.get the thing serviced and the motor removed.connect the tobin sync motor. bingo!

I am definatley learning a lot from this forum! I have my eye out for other cameras for the future. But for the time being, my student budget rules.

• 4 years later...

I am definatley learning a lot from this forum! I have my eye out for other cameras for the future. But for the time being, my student budget rules.

Hi all!

We need REPAIR DEPOTS IN EUROPE!!!!!!!

I'm acquiring two Arriflex 16s, and need to overhaul them.

People! Please advice places in Europe!

As well, anybody knows who does ULTRA 16mm conversion in Europe?

Arri 16s Ultra conversions I only saw in USA...

Thanks!

Flavio

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
If you have the money to fix up a quality camera, get a few of them, and use Bjorn.

He has two of my Beaulieu 4008's now. One's a black Jubilee edition that I'm looking forward to getting back and using that 1.2 Angenieux lens.

It's a good idea to buy a 4008 just because Bjorn is there to make it work better than new. Hard to find anyone who can work on Super 8 cameras these days at all.

Here's the dilemma with Super 8 cameras: If you buy cheap ones (i.e. Canon 310xl), the plastic gears are usually ready to fail so you'll need to buy a few of them to have on hand. If you buy an expensive one, it will undoubtedly need service which will add to the cost even more. However, with HD scans here now you're better off with a good camera and a good lens if you can afford it.

I keep a bunch of inexpensive Super 8 cameras to hand out to family & kids when on vacation because you can wind up with some great shots by accident and not have to worry if a $19 camera is dropped.

I'm in Dallas, Texas and I am not aware of anyone who services them here. I need to find that out. Thanks for the info!

I am too. Garland Camera looked at a Canon 814xl for me once and serviced a lens but they wouldn't touch the insides. MPS Film has a real live Arri film camera tech who is amazing but only does 16 & 35mm cameras. Haven't run into anyone that works on Super 8 or even sells film anymore here.