using a 3/8-16 tie down screw and Aaton LTR on a Bogen 501 head?????

Tomas Koolhaas

Hi,

My friend has a Bogen 501 head tripod and I have an Aaton LTR, I wanted to put my Cam. on his Tripod but his plate has a pesky little 1/4-20 tie-down-screw for DV Cams. Does anyone know of a way to mount a plate with a

3/8-16 Tie down onto the 501 head, and do you think it would take the weight???? (I assume it would, I have had XL2's loaded with all kinds of heavy accesories on the 501 and it was fine).

I may be way off on this, but I was just wondering if it could be done...

Cheers.

You're gonna have to get the proper size screw...

Usually the bogen head comes with two screws one for DV cameras (the 1/4-20)

And then one for bigger cameras 16mm, Betacams, HDcams, etc... (3/8-16)

Search around your friends camera knicknacks the screw might be there.

As for the 501 head...it's okay handling the LTR but not great...

Sooner or later you'll want to get a beefyier head to do smoother moves with...

fu** it just rent the Fisher 11 and always keep the camera built up on it with an O'Connor head.

It just a few hundred dollars a day. :)

Regardless

Good Luck

You're gonna have to get the proper size screw...

Usually the bogen head comes with two screws one for DV cameras (the 1/4-20)

And then one for bigger cameras 16mm, Betacams, HDcams, etc... (3/8-16)

Search around your friends camera knicknacks the screw might be there.

As for the 501 head...it's okay handling the LTR but not great...

Sooner or later you'll want to get a beefyier head to do smoother moves with...

fu** it just rent the Fisher 11 and always keep the camera built up on it with an O'Connor head.

It just a few hundred dollars a day. :)

Regardless

Good Luck

Cheers Rik,

The fellow LTR man to the rescue....Yeah I saw after my post a picture online of the Bogen plate that usually comes with both screws, but for some reason my mate's only comes with the 1/4-20 one, there isn't even a bigger hole on his for the 3/8-16 screw.....wierd, I geuss I will just try and find one of the other plates....or just get the fisher 11 haha....But yeah I figured it wouldn't be great handling the LTR but it's nice to know from someone elses experience, I only used it for the XL2 etc.... I usually rent an O'connor for my LTR but the producer of the next shoot I am doing is pushing me hard to try and save money anywhere I can...hence my mate's 501 coming into the equasion....He'lll just have to cough up for the O'connor I think.

Cheers.

• Premium Member

Tomas,

The 501 is a tad bit "lightweight" for an LTR, be careful when tilting, the counter spring in the head won't hold back the camera if it starts to go over, especially if you're using a big zoom.

The 501 has two threaded holes on the head itself (not the quick change plate, but on the head itself) and the 3/8-16 stud came mounted in one of those holes. It was designed so the stud was always with the head, and when you change to the 3/8-16, you put the 1/4-20 in the other threaded hole, so it to always stays with the head.

Another thing to watch out for on the 501 is the level bubble. On mine, it was way off. Do a test before you rely on that to level the tripod.

Best of luck,

-Tim

Hi

you can get adaptors,

They have an external 3/8 inch thread and internal 1/4 inch thread. You screw it into your camera base and this reduces the thread size to 1/4 inch. They look like a small grommet. I have one and they are useful for emergecies.

Cheers

Rob