Aaton Penelope

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member
The prototype sure looks sweet. Have not heard anything about the noise levels.

Well one of the major points in development was to make it quieter than that 35-III which is between 28-30db realisticly (no matter what the documentation says). I assume they'll suceed as they're being more practical (rather than theoretical as with the 35-III) in thier approach to the movement design.

Reducing price and simplifying the design (which also helps price) are two of the other major goals. The magazines will be mechanically simpler for example, thus cheaper and probably lighter. JP mentioned adding the ability to use Nikon DX-format lenses (and presumably normal Nikon lenses).

But, it's still a prototype and realistically speculating on the final product is akin to discussing what the REDONE will be able to do. That is to say, nothing is set in stone.

I'm terribly excited about the camera eitherway...

- nathan

There has been some discussion here and there about the Penlope. What it promises, 2 or 3 perf, instant mags, lower cost, etc, etc... will make shooting scope much more accessable for a lot of people. With many telecine and datacine doing 2 perf, it is going to make shooting 35mm much more common. People who were doing budgets for HD or Super 16 projects could realistically consider 2 perf. This is all specualtion, but quite probably will happen. Stock, processing and tk costs, virtually cut in half. Film will be around for a good while longer. I am seriously going to try to get to use it for a feature I am producing that is a year or two out. I am really excited too!

chris

Beautiful camera. If film is dead why are they still making new cameras....? Ok, I don't want to start that discussion, just having a little jab! I found this little site and thought maybe some of you haven't seen it yet. Good little article with some info/commentary about said camera, no price range. I did see that it is supposedly scheduled for a sept. '07 date....? True? I can't find where I got that info from...Anyway, here is a link. There looks to be two different protos in pics...

http://www.fsfsweden.se/index.php/arkiv/co...aaton_penelope/

-Jonnie

Edited by Jon-Hebert Barto

• Premium Member
I did see that it is supposedly scheduled for a sept. '07 date....? True? I can't find where I got that info from...

From Aaton's website, here

The photo in your link will probably change based on the changes Aaton made to the Xtera's PBY. There will be a backlit LCD on the side, the batteries will tiedown and won't need that frame to hold them in place among other things.

• Premium Member

Hey Gents,

I could very well hate myself soon. I've got a small pile of money invested and even more to be spent in a 2-perf upgrade of a Fries 35R3. What would anybody hazard a guess on the Penelope's retail? I don't think my blimped 35R3 could ever be mistaken for a "cat on the shoulder." "Elephant on the shoulder", sure.

• Premium Member
Hey Gents,

I could very well hate myself soon. I've got a small pile of money invested and even more to be spent in a 2-perf upgrade of a Fries 35R3. What would anybody hazard a guess on the Penelope's retail? I don't think my blimped 35R3 could ever be mistaken for a "cat on the shoulder." "Elephant on the shoulder", sure.

Paul,

It's only a guess but I think you could have at least 6 35R3's in 2 perf before you got a Penelope with 3 mags and video assist.

As converting to 2 perf in bulk would reduce the unit cost then it could be nearer 8 35R3's :D

Stephen

• Premium Member

I'm not going to hazard a guess, I don't want to quote to high and discourage people and quote to low and anger our sales team.

The camera is probably a year away from being a product. Materials, parts and feautres are not finalized.

Hi everybody.

Ok, here's my bet : between 45 and $50,000.

JP Beauviala wanted the price of the penelope to be at the level of a super16 camera (~$35,000) but with the lateness of the shipment and the cost of extra development, I suppose they won't be able to do it anymore.

• Premium Member
Hi everybody.

Ok, here's my bet : between 45 and $50,000.

JP Beauviala wanted the price of the penelope to be at the level of a super16 camera (~$35,000) but with the lateness of the shipment and the cost of extra development, I suppose they won't be able to do it anymore.

Just to give perspective. A new Aaton 35-III (body only) lists at $103,570. A used body might be $70,000 or so. A new S16 Xtera (body only) lists at $52,300. Nobody pays list.. but you get the point. Penelope will live somewhere between those prices.

So, were I to speculate in the range between $100K and $50K and get it wrong... my employer would think me daft.

C'es la vie.

Just to give perspective. A new Aaton 35-III (body only) lists at $103,570. A used body might be $70,000 or so. A new S16 Xtera (body only) lists at $52,300. Nobody pays list.. but you get the point. Penelope will live somewhere between those prices.

So, were I to speculate in the range between $100K and $50K and get it wrong... my employer would think me daft.

C'es la vie.

Wow!

Ok, my mistake, I forgot to realy convert in $ but still... That's not the prices I have.

From a basic price list (july 2002) given by Aaton themselves : ?66,666 ( :rolleyes: ) for a 35-III and ?36,680 for a XTRprod, bodies only of course.

Inflation in France is around 1% per year.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Yeah, last month that thing said, 'Watch for the end of November.' before that it said 'Watch for the end of October.'

Last I spoke with them they seemed to be hopeful that the camera would be ready by the end of 2007. Before that they were shooting for September 2007.

*sigh*

My lust must be abated.