creating a bounce form water light effect

hello

I'm about to shoot a short fantasy film and one secne takes place inside a sewer tunnel, the tunnel will have daylight coming in from small windows between the left wall and the ceiling, on the right wall there will be a long line of dimmed practical lights (100W bulbs), on the floor there will be a water tunnel on one side and sidewalk on the other - i've attached a drowing of the set.

I would like to key the actors with light that is bounced from the water on the actors faces creating an effect of moving lights on them.

what's the best way to do it? i can't put mirrors under the water because it's to expansive and a few kids actors need to step on it, i thought about using an aluminum wrap, but will it bounce enough light?

and how can i keep this scne low lighted and contrasted?

i'll be using an old sony betacam 400 (low budget production) and for lights coming from the outside i will enough baby 1Ks, i hope it will do...

thanks

mosh

sewer_set.ppt

hello

I'm about to shoot a short fantasy film and one secne takes place inside a sewer tunnel, the tunnel will have daylight coming in from small windows between the left wall and the ceiling, on the right wall there will be a long line of dimmed practical lights (100W bulbs), on the floor there will be a water tunnel on one side and sidewalk on the other - i've attached a drowing of the set.

I would like to key the actors with light that is bounced from the water on the actors faces creating an effect of moving lights on them.

what's the best way to do it? i can't put mirrors under the water because it's to expansive and a few kids actors need to step on it, i thought about using an aluminum wrap, but will it bounce enough light?

i'll be using an old sony betacam 400 (low budget production) and for lights coming from the outside i will enough baby 1Ks, i hope it will do...

thanks

mosh

hi, aluminum wrap works good, just crumple it up then spread it out flat. find somthing you can fill with water like a paint rolling dish, or somthing bigger. spread out the aluminum foil on the dish and pour water over it, then shine a hard light directly on it, and keep it behind the camera, so it evenly fills the frame with water ripples.

it should be real easy to achieve especially for tighter shots, wide shots it might be tricky, so make sure you block out the scene really good.

Guest Allyn Laing

Try bouncing a hard light onto a mirror with a fresh gel placed about 1inch away from the surface and get someone to lightly patter the gel during the shot, depends on how used the gel is for how clean the reflection is, it may work for you it may not goodluck

Allyn

• Premium Member
hello

thanks

mosh

The water itself should bounce the light nicely. I once bounced of the pool water surface alone and it looked great.

hi

i just did the same thing on music video that was shoot on a pool i bounce to the water H.M.I par 2.5 and it work real good so bounce light to the water will do the trick its a water of angel and lamp power

if you don't have that kind of lamps try to work with silver hard reflector from outside(if you can) and aim them

to the water or better, use 4*4 mirror

Edited by Ram Shani