David Stump, ASC Reactions

Gavin Greenwalt

"The RED Mysterium sensor has finally pushed digital acquisition past the timeless 35mm film barrier in resolution and clean color fidelity". David Stump, ASC

Any chance we can get a more detailed analysis and impression? While the quote is definitely a positive response, it doesn't really answer too many technical questions.

Also, will any Tiffs or DPX files be released from these tests?

- Gavin

"The RED Mysterium sensor has finally pushed digital acquisition past the timeless 35mm film barrier in resolution and clean color fidelity". David Stump, ASC

Any chance we can get a more detailed analysis and impression? While the quote is definitely a positive response, it doesn't really answer too many technical questions.

Also, will any Tiffs or DPX files be released from these tests?

- Gavin

News flash, this just in.....David Stump, ASC has just announced his retirement from film. He has suddenly come into a very large sum of money and will be living full time in his new masion in the Bahamas.

R,

What is a RED ?

Matthew please....there are only 500 hundred or more posts on Red on this very forum. You're telling me you can't answer this question on your own? Or do a Google search at the very least?

R,

News flash, this just in.....David Stump, ASC has just announced his retirement from film. He has suddenly come into a very large sum of money and will be living full time in his new masion in the Bahamas.

R,

Matthew please....there are only 500 hundred or more posts on Red on this very forum. You're telling me you can't answer this question on your own? Or do a Google search at the very least?

R,

I think or hope he was joking...

Ian

Are you serious, or is this a joke? That's some kind of allegation to be tossing around without either proof or the immediate admission or indication that it is a joke.

Oh and matt, check out www.red.com

Edited by David Sweetman

Are you serious, or is this a joke? That's some kind of allegation to be tossing around without either proof or the immediate admission or indication that it is a joke.

Oh and matt, check out www.red.com

You really need to be told it's a joke?

When I use 1930s radio news language and things like, "mansion in the Bahamas."

I have some property in New Orleans I want to show you :)

R,

You really need to be told it's a joke?

The second sentence is obviously jest, but the first is stated as fact, and could either be or not be fact regardless of its attendant remark. I guess it rubbed me the wrong way because because it attacked Mr. Stump's integrity and character.

Edited by David Sweetman

I'm looking forward to what the footage looks like and I find these little reviews they release funny. Its like those quotes used in movie ads. You gotta smile at them because its niether true nor false without more information. I liked this quote also posted on dvxuser by cheerleader/employee? JarRed. It made me laugh a long while.

"personally i think the reservation holders have gotten it pretty good already.. with redcine and the monitor and these screenings etc.. not to obviously mention the fact they are giving us a $200,000 camera for less than $20,000"

The second sentence is obviously jest, but the first is stated as fact, and could either be or not be fact regardless of its attendant remark. I guess it rubbed me the wrong way because because it attacked Mr. Stump's integrity and character.

I'm sure Mr. Stump would get a good laugh out of it.

Even if he was on the Red payroll as a paid endorser, they would not pay him any thing close to what it would take to buy a mansion in the Bahamas. This makes it ridiculous to believe.

DPs are always making jokes about their compensation, even in the best of times.

R,

Let the jokes away "sweet" Richard.

Michael said all: I'm a Red supporter (and I keep a reservation) but it is dangerous, however, to label some of this people like a group of jerks. Sometimes these opinion makers lose a part of their good sense when all the people (there) are kissing his ass (being the man in charge... more than that, God gave him the mission). Acting themselves... himself like a God but without the same wisdom.

His (cheerleader/employee) message is: buy it don't matter the price! Like Jannard is doing a favor to all this community when he sells $17,500 instead $200,000. :wacko: They should think: these people ain't smart people. If not, why would they be here? Listening someone with something to tell especially his own experience as a webmaster?! :lol:

A bad move, Mr. Dvxuser. :blink:

Jannard is a business man, not a charity! Why would he have such price if he wouldn't count 1073 reservations as far as we know?

And if the lambs are following the flutist because it's a must to join the group, others are making clear and (more) comprehensible this (JarRed) point and its meaning: a bad point like it really is. It's so obvious: this is not the customers side! Shame on you Mr. Land, shame on you...

Next time, do a favor to yourself and to the project. To us: Jannard included. Don't be more papist than the Pope!

Just an opinion. From an :angry: unbiased user B).

I'm looking forward to what the footage looks like and I find these little reviews they release funny. Its like those quotes used in movie ads. You gotta smile at them because its niether true nor false without more information. I liked this quote also posted on dvxuser by cheerleader/employee? JarRed. It made me laugh a long while.

"personally i think the reservation holders have gotten it pretty good already.. with redcine and the monitor and these screenings etc.. not to obviously mention the fact they are giving us a $200,000 camera for less than $20,000"

Please check out some other forums and posts about the post end of RED. The RED creators have aknowledged they need to figure our a way to get REDCINE to other editors/post houses and other non-RED owners for the RED to have a greater impact. If you shoot film you could still in theory edit the film with razor blades if you need to. You want to see that film on an electronic display device you could transfer to a codec that your favorite editor uses. I am currently shooting with an HVX and P2. There are still detractors that cannot understand how you could shoot with a camera that can only record 4-10 minutes on a Flash card. FCP has a pretty good workflow for the HVX now. But you want to edit HVX footage on Vegas or Premiere?? It's possible but has workflow limitations. I think you can edit SI camera footage using Cineform and Premiere, what if I wanted to edit that footage with FCP....

On most productions the shooting may last one day or many months...the editing and post is where the most time is spent and this is the area that is the most intriguing when it come to the RED.

So even if RED has surpassed 35MM film they must still be able to get the footage in some usable format for the greatest number of editors to use.

Edited by Michael Schrengohst

Please check out some other forums and posts about the post end of RED. The RED creators have aknowledged they need to figure our a way to get REDCINE to other editors/post houses and other non-RED owners for the RED to have a greater impact. If you shoot film you could still in theory edit the film with razor blades if you need to. You want to see that film on an electronic display device you could transfer to a codec that your favorite editor uses. I am currently shooting with an HVX and P2. There are still detractors that cannot understand how you could shoot with a camera that can only record 4-10 minutes on a Flash card. FCP has a pretty good workflow for the HVX now. But you want to edit HVX footage on Vegas or Premiere?? It's possible but has workflow limitations. I think you can edit SI camera footage using Cineform and Premiere, what if I wanted to edit that footage with FCP....

On most productions the shooting may last one day or many months...the editing and post is where the most time is spent and this is the area that is the most intriguing when it come to the RED.

So even if RED has surpassed 35MM film they must still be able to get the footage in some usable format for the greatest number of editors to use.

This is where the RED team is head and shoulders above the asian electronics firms. I can't comment on the SI because I haven't spent as much time evaluating their post flow, but I know RED has been making incredible advances on their post workflow. Almost every single thing I have requested has now been confirmed as a feature of either REDcode or REDCine. The only two things I'm still waiting on are: Online EDL Summarization and a RedCine-CommandLine. (If you're listening Graeme, hint hint)

- Gavin