Feature Trailer - DVX100A + Andromeda

Matthew Bennett

Here's a draft version of a trailer for a film I'm working on using the Andromeda modification for the DVX100A.

I say draft because I haven't recorded all the voices I need to properly tell the story in trailer version....plus the 480p image is up-rezzed from an SD source, not the ideal method for full sharpness and color.

That said, here it is. The story regards a young typography designer who finds himself neighbor to a couple of bomb-building French mercenaries during a hot summer.

quicktime 7 in h.264

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43...ler_1a_480p.mov

quicktime 6 in mp4

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43..._Trailer_1a.mp4

More about the Andromeda modification can be found at www.reel-stream.com

• Premium Member

Hi,

Oh yes, very nice. That Andromeda thing seems to work, eh?

If I had to complain, I'd say that on some of the street exteriors and some interiors with very hot windows, you could have used the added flexibility of the uncompressed recording to underexpose and fix-it-in-post.

Otherwise, clean as a whistle.

Phil

That is damn cool. I mean the flick as well as the techie stuff. I'm really new to filmmaking and never heard of Andromeda before (I've got an XL2) so forgive me if these are dumb questions, but:

1) how did you get 2.35:1 out of a DVX? Did you use an anamorphic adapter? (I've seen them for the XL2)

2) do you know if they plan on making a mod for the XL2? Didn't see anything on their website, but that would be awesome.

What are the real advantages of using the system like Andromeda? Do you get more resolution, better color sampling? What do you record onto? Do you have to be hooked up to the computer at all times?

I'd really like to test one of these and see how they compare to, lets say, HVX200.

Thanks.

george

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Do you get more resolution, better color sampling?

Yes and yes.

> What do you record onto?

Hard disk.

> Do you have to be hooked up to the computer at all times?#

No, it's a standalone unit.

> compare to, lets say, HVX200.

Embarrassingly well for Panasonic, I suspect - largely because the DVX-100 is a really seriously good little camera which is improved still further with this modification, and the HVX is a camera that's had all sacrificed for price and overcranking. So, "quite well", I suspect, but not because the Andromeda is a miracle maker, but because the HVX is pretty feeble.

I think there are some odd colour fringing issues with Andromeda.

Phil

• Premium Member

Hi,

There's very little point. I have on this desk at this very moment an HD251 camera hooked up to a hard disk recorder, which is much the same thing once you set all the DSP stuff to unity.

Only 8 bit, which is a bit of a shame.

Catch Showreel for the full story.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
> What do you record onto?

Hard disk.

> Do you have to be hooked up to the computer at all times?#

No, it's a standalone unit.

It would appear to me that you do have to be hooked up to the computer at all times.

• 5 weeks later...