problems running Kodak 64T

Al DeLory

Has anyone encountered problems running Kodak 64T in their S-8 camera? I have a Sankyo XL-40S which will run plusX, triX, even old ektachrome 80 no problem. When 64T is loaded, the camera runs a few frames and stops. Anyone else ever have this problem?

• Premium Member
Has anyone encountered problems running Kodak 64T in their S-8 camera? I have a Sankyo XL-40S which will run plusX, triX, even old ektachrome 80 no problem. When 64T is loaded, the camera runs a few frames and stops. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Even with the information you have provided, which is more than most by the way, I still have questions.

Batteries, super fresh, or not, have all six batteries been inserted in the proper sequence?

Temperature at the time of shooting, similar to when you shot the other filmstocks?

Other cameras, does the 64T jam in other cameras as well?

When you experience a jam, have you immediately tried one of the other filmstocks to see if they would work at that same moment in time?

Even with the information you have provided, which is more than most by the way, I still have questions.

Batteries, super fresh, or not, have all six batteries been inserted in the proper sequence?

Temperature at the time of shooting, similar to when you shot the other filmstocks?

When you experience a jam, have you immediately tried one of the other filmstocks to see if they would work at that same moment in time?

Alessandro,

All batteries are fresh, temperature consistent. I have other S-8's that run the 64T no problem. I have also tried other stock immediately after a jam with seemingly no problem. I'm starting to think the camera is faulty. Any insight?

AL

Hmm oddly enough I shot test footage last weekend using Velvia 50D and Ekta 64T - with the Velvia, my Canon 814 xls purred like a quiet kitten. With the 64T it sounded like "a garbage truck driving through a nitro-glycerin factory", to quote Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Haven't gotten the footage back so I dunno if it meant anything, but I found it startling as I shot the Velvia first and wasn't expecting the racket that came with the 64T.

Erik

bad news, I'm afraid - at least according to the guys that do the excellent small format magazine - your camera won't take 64T and can't be easily modified to take it. sadly the PDF is too hefty at a mere 190k to upload to the board and I've spent over an hour trying to find the PDF online to share with you - it came from SmallFormat.de, but I can't get it now...

maybe Jurgen could post it up?

• Premium Member
bad news, I'm afraid - at least according to the guys that do the excellent small format magazine - your camera won't take 64T and can't be easily modified to take it. sadly the PDF is too hefty at a mere 190k to upload to the board and I've spent over an hour trying to find the PDF online to share with you - it came from SmallFormat.de, but I can't get it now...

maybe Jurgen could post it up?

There are a couple of different interpretations to the phrase "won't take 64T". As far as I know, any super-8 camera, if it is in good working condition, should be able to run any super-8 film stock through it, assuming there are no film cartridge or film stock abnormalities.

Aother meaning for the phrase "won't take 64T" is that "some" super-8 cameras will not correctly autoexpose 64T because of the way they were designed to read the ASA notchings.

About half of the 64T carts I've run in my Nizo jam immediately. The motor does not stop, but usually I can hear the difference between a smooth running cart and a jammed one. When I pull the jammed cart out I always see scratch marks where the pulldown claw was moving againsts the film between perfs. To get it moving again I just advance the film manually a few turns and pop it back in. This camera has shot 12 carts of 64T in the last two months, and has choked on at least 5 of them. My Nikon R10 has not had this problem, but it has only seen three or four carts of 64T.

• Premium Member
Hmm oddly enough I shot test footage last weekend using Velvia 50D and Ekta 64T - with the Velvia, my Canon 814 xls purred like a quiet kitten. With the 64T it sounded like "a garbage truck driving through a nitro-glycerin factory", to quote Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Haven't gotten the footage back so I dunno if it meant anything, but I found it startling as I shot the Velvia first and wasn't expecting the racket that came with the 64T.

Erik

I wonder if Juergen would be interested in the above comment since he's researching an article about Velvia.

Guest filmfreund

Interesting. Any more users with problems concerning E64T or Cinevia/Spectra Velvia?

Juergen

www.smallformat.de