Anyone else interested in some sub-forums here in 16mm ?

Nick Mulder

Was thinking that there are some pretty common queries re. Bolex cameras (lens optics, prism light loss etc...) and no one seems to either attempt a search or (doubtful) get much joy from the results so they could be taken care of with some sticky threads in a dedicated sub-forum.

At least Bolex users would have all the info in one place ...

Anyone else keen ?

yes def a k3 section and maybe one called "K3 vs Bolex, which one does your gut tell you is better?" this place is overrun with K3 vs bolex questions and also a subforum entitled "why it sucks to shoot sync sound with a spring wound camera"

just a little satire.

A very interesting ideas as well was put to use In www.bikeforums.net . they put in sub forums for bikes under $700. It works great to seperate the bolex, k3 filmo from the SR eclair and aaton.

just a thought

Guys, maybe you haven't heard, but 16mm is obsolete. . . :lol: Sorry, I still laugh out loud whenever I type that out.

I agree. I mean, the HD section has divisions for cameras that don't even exist yet. We oughta be able to get a section for Arris, Eclairs, Cinema Products, Bolexes, and we definitely need a section for Auricons (my personal favorite and a favorite for many other student filmmakers such as myself).

Edited by Karl Borowski

• Premium Member
Was thinking that there are some pretty common queries re. Bolex cameras (lens optics, prism light loss etc...) and no one seems to either attempt a search or (doubtful) get much joy from the results so they could be taken care of with some sticky threads in a dedicated sub-forum.

At least Bolex users would have all the info in one place ...

Anyone else keen ?

I strongly agree that more folks need to search the 16mm Only forum before posting the same "Which is better, Bolex or Arri S" type of question over and over again.

But I strongly disagree with creating sub-forums under 16mm Only.

The situation with the HD cameras is that there is so much new information coming out continuously about all the new camera models that there is just way too much information to lump it all under HD, so there is a need for sub-forums.

There really is little new information coming out about 16mm cameras. Starting sub-forums just because some users are too lazy to search for answers to questions that have been asked dozens of times in the past is not a good enough reason.

The most valuable thing about the Cinematography.com forums (for me at least) is that I can find answers to questions I have, from professional cinematographers, people who have my utmost respect. The 16mm Only forum is a place to ask questions about shooting 16mm film and to get answers from cinematographers like David Mullen and others whose first hand experience is priceless.

If the 16mm Only forum is split into sub-forums, we would be asking too much to have these working professionals go through each sub-forum to answer questions.

I certainly understand your enthusiasm for the Bolex camera, or the K3 or the CP-16, and that is great. May I suggest you start your own web page for the camera that interests you, a place where folks can come and find out all kinds of information, download owners manuals, etc. That is what I did with the Arriflex 16S. It is a great way to share your enthusiasm with others who are interested in that particular camera.

But the 16mm Only forum is a place to ask questions about shooting 16mm, and naturally Super 16. And it works really well at doing that. Let's not change it.

-Tim

hmmm - yep, ok no sense in sub-forums if they are going alienate the community

what about some suggestions for stickies for those same questions that come up so often (bolex prism, camera vs. camera, MOS ??, how do I load this 400' thing)

that would be a heap of stickies... maybe a 'FAQ' section ?

I strongly agree that more folks need to search the 16mm Only forum before posting the same "Which is better, Bolex or Arri S" type of question over and over again.

-Tim

I always start with a search, when I need to know something specific. However being able to browse a section geared toward a brand or camera model is be more useful, when I am interested in finding out general information on cameras I am unfamiliar with.

Searching only works when you know what you are searching for. Other wise it's better to browse... but only if there is a section specific enough to browse in. Our 16mm only covers way too much ground.

If sub boards were added it would not harm any ones ability to search, and I don't see how else the board will be adversely affected by it. The most recent post will always show on the start page. There for no extra digging would be required.

Edited by James Erd

Yeah, if anything, subforums would help the industry pros here to skim over some of the technical camera issues that others can answer, and help them concentrate more in areas in which they are familiar. That's like saying that the HD forums are causing trouble. I think they make things easy, i.e. steer clear of the hype of the red forum and answer questions about cameras that actually exist ;-)

sub-sub forums ? thats like having cupboards in your pantry

I'm not to sure if thats a great idea for people who are looking for help but dont know what they a re looking for exactly yet ... We still need a good general 16mm section.

Could work well for gear nerds (like myself) though, lotsa clicking ...

Anyways - could all be moot - I sent a PM to Tim Tyler about 16mm sub-forums about a month ago, no reply yet...

I started up this forum to gauge the users opinion, seems like the punters want sub-forums!

Who is going to do the initial sorting ? thats a good question :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Too many subforums and you spend more time trying to figure out which category your question belongs in... and being yelled at for picking the wrong one.

Subforums are only needed when the VOLUME in a particular forum is so high that some divisions are needed to organize the posts. I don't think the 16mm forum has reached that sort of critical mass (or mess) where there are too many posts to shift through.