16mm Projector

David Chandler

Hi all:

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good place, besides Ebay, that sells used 16mm projectors for cheap? Is there any good web resources or used equipment dealers that I can find on the web?

Thank you for any and all help.

David

Try www.16mmfilmtalk.com. There is a WANT section and I'm sure that you could find something inexpensive if you post what you want. There are lots of good inexpensive projectors it just depends what you are looking for. Kodak Pagents are usually pretty cheap and they can be easily modified if you want to replace the lamp with an external more powerful lamp. Eiki, Elmo, B&H are also pretty common.

Here are a couple of other sites:

www.urbanskifilm.com

www.robbiesreels.com

• Premium Member
Hi all:

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good place, besides Ebay, that sells used 16mm projectors for cheap? Is there any good web resources or used equipment dealers that I can find on the web?

SOME school districts and boards do sell off their surplus materials, they may still be phaseing out machines, - video projectors are repleceing them. You state/provincial/local and federal governemnt may also have surplus machines still.

Hi all:

Thank you for any and all help.

David

Hi!

ask phil maybe he still have good 16mm projectors!

http://8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/

bye!

Treegan

A Huge amount of Schools and other .EDU style organizations (like Police Academies/Driving Instruction Places) may have a Singer Instaload XL on hand.

They were used to project educational and instructional films.

On ebay (though you mention you don't want to use this route) one could be had for about $50 USD.

...I am wondering if anyone knows of a good place, besides Ebay...

Ebay is still the best place in my experience, otherwise you could spend months going to thrift stores and school district auctions and never find anything.

One thing to watch out for is the notorious worm gear problem in Bell & Howell 16mm machines, specifically in the 500, 1500 and 2500 model series. The petroleum grease factory applied leaches plasticizers out of the plastic worm gear, causing it to eventually split and quit working. Replacing it requires total disassembly of the projector and special tools and gauges to put it back together.

We buy these projectors to rob parts out of, to build our TVT-16 video transfer machines. We plan on spending $250 or more per machine to replace the worm gear whether it needs it yet or not. This is acceptable to us as otherwise the design is perfectly suited to make telecine equipment. But you might not want to spend the bucks just to get a working projector.

Elmo, Eiki, Kodak, Telex and others made machines that do not have a reputation for having a fatal flaw. The 3500 series Bell & Howells are made by Eiki. The Kodak recent models are made by Elmo.