NAB

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

I'll be there, as always.

Maybe we could setup a get-together? I'm sure we've all got plenty already. It's always such a busy few days.... but maybe lunch or cocktails or something one day could be cool.

• Premium Member
i see have a good time , i wont go to the states until Bush and his ilk are gone .

I couldn't resist one of these cheap flights to NY in April, but then again NY isn't really part of the US anyway ;)

i see have a good time , i wont go to the states until Bush and his ilk are gone .

Bad news John CNN just reported that Bush has been appointed president for life! All future elections have been suspended.

Bush issued a statement saying his first order of business was to get even with the UK for beating the US in the War of 1812. All English males ages 18-34 are to be drafted and sent to Iraq.

R,

• Premium Member

Happily my disdain for the current US administration is matched only by my conviction as to their incompetence - they can take my fingerprints, then I'm sure the FBI will lose them, the CIA will give copies of them to Russian spies, the immigration service will ignore them and a filing clerk in Michigan will add them to the skyscraper-high stack of unprocessed I-94s and other such mindless impedimenta that the US government uses to make everyone's life as maximally paperwork-riven as it can possibly contrive to do.

This aspect of government is vastly superior in the UK - we need the european union to create a meaningless bureaucracy that size, so obviously we're going straight for it.

Phil

Happily my disdain for the current US administration is matched only by my conviction as to their incompetence - they can take my fingerprints, then I'm sure the FBI will lose them, the CIA will give copies of them to Russian spies, the immigration service will ignore them and a filing clerk in Michigan will add them to the skyscraper-high stack of unprocessed I-94s and other such mindless impedimenta that the US government uses to make everyone's life as maximally paperwork-riven as it can possibly contrive to do.

This aspect of government is vastly superior in the UK - we need the european union to create a meaningless bureaucracy that size, so obviously we're going straight for it.

Phil

Well Phil, the UK gave the world the idea of the modern civil service :)

R,

Phil, it's one thing to criticize companies, individuals, and institutions. It's another thing to come in here - in what is essentially a worldwide forum - and criticize a foreign government. You have absolutely no idea what life is like as an American, even though you seem to think you do. Some of us have some pride in where we come from (even if we criticize it), even if you don't. I don't see Americans - including myself - coming in here and pointing out how incompetant and pompous we might think the UK is. Don't come in here telling me that my country and my government is incompetant. You can think whatever you want about your own country, just as I can think whatever I want of mine. But I'm not interested in what you think of the US, and I'm not interested in your "disdain" for it, at least not here. So keep your bitterness and air of intellectual superiority concentrated on corporations and individuals, and just shut the hell up about things like foreign governments that you have little experience with or knowledge of.

• Premium Member

While I agree generally with you, Mike, you have to remember that the U.S. is the dominant super power in the world, so what our government decides to do affects the lives of many other people worldwide, hence the interest in other countries with U.S. news, elections, etc.

The general population in the U.S. doesn't watch the election results come in of many other countries, yet these foreign populations seem to study our elections with as much interest as our own citizens (to our disgrace maybe...) So it's no wonder that everyone worldwide seems to have an opinion on the U.S. government activities -- to not do so would be like trying to not talk about the elephant sitting in the corner of your living room. With great power comes the need to put up with a lot of criticism...

• Premium Member

You seem to have neatly missed the point I was trying to make, which was one about the madness of the EU, but nevertheless...

> Some of us have some pride in where we come from

Then join me in decrying what's being done to it in your name.

> I don't see Americans - including myself - coming in here and pointing out how incompetant and pompous we

> might think the UK is

Please feel free - you'd get no argument from me.

> Don't come in here telling me that my country and my government is incompetant.

Or, better: don't have an incompetent government. If the US government is going to throw its weight around around playing world police and generally give the world grief, I consider that the world has an unimpeachable mandate to hold and publicise opinions relating thereto. I don't criticise the Canadian government because they don't go running round the world killing people to save fifty cents on a gallon of gas.

> But I'm not interested in what you think of the US, and I'm not interested in your "disdain" for it

This is where you get me wrong. I do not disdain the US. I have a very severe degree of disrespect for the people who are currently running it, as do most vaguely sane locals, but in general I find that it is full of pleasant, generous, likeable people. My problem is not with the US, it's with the rampant imbeciles who are in charge.

But as I say, my bigger problem is with the headlong rush we seem to be committed to here, aimed at creating a dangerously similar situation.

Phil

Phil and David,

Can I share a hotel room with you guys?

R,

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That is absolutely hilarious!!!! :lol:

Phil and David.

Let Richard Boddington sleep in an Executive's Armchair on the balcony. When he's asleep, tape him to it, and wheel him into the convention in it next morning. :lol:

[quote name='Phil Rhodes' date='Mar 15 2007, 03:24 PM' post='160889'

> Some unimpeachable mandate to hold and publicise opinions relating thereto. I don't criticise the Canadian government because they don't go running round the world killing people to save fifty cents on a gallon of gas.

Unfortunatly our prime minister is one of bushs puppets, seems like whatever bush wants mr harper does :(

"I don't criticise the Canadian government because they don't go running round the world killing people to save fifty cents on a gallon of gas."

True. But if it turns out we can save a $1.00, well, that means the bullets are gonna fly. Oh wait I forgot the last Canadian gov't destroyed Canada's military along with every thing else in the country. They where too busy stealing the taxpayers money and lining their pockets with it.

As for: "Unfortunatly our prime minister is one of bushs puppets, seems like whatever bush wants mr harper does"

Next election Harper will have a huge majority, then we gonna open up a can of whoop ass on BC!!

R,

"I don't criticise the Canadian government because they don't go running round the world killing people to save fifty cents on a gallon of gas."

True. But if it turns out we can save a $1.00, well, that means the bullets are gonna fly. Oh wait I forgot the last Canadian gov't destroyed Canada's military along with every thing else in the country. They where too busy stealing the taxpayers money and lining their pockets with it.

As for: "Unfortunatly our prime minister is one of bushs puppets, seems like whatever bush wants mr harper does"

Next election Harper will have a huge majority, then we gonna open up a can of whoop ass on BC!!

R,

I do agree that our last government was a joke.

I just dont suport any kind of war,why do we have to get involved with other peoples bussiness?

GO GREENPARTY :)