Price range for reverse telecine

Indrajith Ramesh

What's the average rate of reverse telecine in US?...

To find prices here you need to search for either "video to film transfer" or else "kinescope." These are the same thing except Kinescoping has bad connotations of how they used to look back in the days of crappy B&W video cameras and their objectionable artifacts, which the film stock recorded faithfully.

Reverse Telecine is not a term I have heard before. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Cheers.

Reverse telecine is indeed transferring electronic images onto film.

It is invariably more expensive than telecine transfers. But you need to be specific as there are differnet processes, depending on whether you are transferring from video (SD or HD) to film, or from data to film: and whether it's a laser recorder, a CRT recorder, or an older machine like a kinescope: or simply a film camera pointed at a monitor.

• Site Sponsor
Reverse telecine is indeed transferring electronic images onto film.

It is invariably more expensive than telecine transfers. But you need to be specific as there are differnet processes, depending on whether you are transferring from video (SD or HD) to film, or from data to film: and whether it's a laser recorder, a CRT recorder, or an older machine like a kinescope: or simply a film camera pointed at a monitor.

I think the average is going to be from $250/min to about $450/min on real Cine recorders and this depends on how long a job it is (running time) and as Dominic said this will depend on the source material.

We have been shooting 30 sec spots to both 1.85 and 2.35 with one print each for around $1k on a Solitaire Cine3 and I have a few 20min jobs coming up. I would not want to shoot a long form show on a slow recorder like this but image quality is good.

I would think that facilities in LA would sell off the downtime on a arri or Celco recorder more reasonably and you might get a deal if you call around.

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor
I think the average is going to be from $250/min to about $450/min on real Cine recorders and this depends on how long a job it is (running time) and as Dominic said this will depend on the source material.

We have been shooting 30 sec spots to both 1.85 and 2.35 with one print each for around $1k on a Solitaire Cine3 and I have a few 20min jobs coming up. I would not want to shoot a long form show on a slow recorder like this but image quality is good.

I would think that facilities in LA would sell off the downtime on a arri or Celco recorder more reasonably and you might get a deal if you call around.

-Rob-

I was also going to say that I get a call from time to time from 16mm filmmakers asking for video to 16 and I generally tell people to shoot a LCD monitor with a camera, many titles are done this way. There are several companies out there starting to make panel based film recorders, Kinetta for example.

-Rob-