S 16mm/ SD Tv Tranfar

saleem dad

hi

if i shhot on super 16mm. can we tranfar for normal tv? i menas full normal tv frame? not cinemascop ( 16x9) ?is it possible?

Yes. you can transfer to 4x3 full screen TV. You'll just be using the full height of the Super16 negative, but only a portion of the width (you have the option to reframe the image significantly left and right). Quality will be identical to Regular 16.

Alternatively, you can transfer to 4x3 but with a letterbox top and bottom, and get the whole Super16 negative, at lower enlargement/less grain.

Finally, you can do an anamorphic squeeze, and transfer the whole Super16 negative to a 4x3 TV with an anamorphic squeeze, so it will play full screen on a 16x9 TV.

Best of luck.

• Premium Member
.....Alternatively, you can transfer to 4x3 but with a letterbox top and bottom,

and get the whole Super16 negative, at lower enlargement/less grain.....

If later on, one decided to enlarge the letterbox version back to full screen, would there be a noticeable difference in quality versus just doing a full TV frame transfer to begin with? If there isn't a big difference than making the full film frame transfer allows one to keep all options available after transfering to video.

• Premium Member

Generally it's more objectionable to blow-up 4x3 letterbox to 16x9 full-frame than to crop 16x9 on the sides to 4x3 full-frame (and definitely to convert 16x9 full-frame to 4x3 letterbox, which looks fine). Probably because most people, if they have 16x9 TV sets, have a bigger screen than their old 4x3 TV set.

• Site Sponsor

I generally try to get our customers shooting Super16 to do an anamorphic video transfer. If you edit in 16:9 anamorphic and build a DVD at the end the set top player will auto letterbox for 4:3 sets and play 16:9 for newer widescreen sets. Seems like a good all around way to go as many people have plasma's or lcd's now.

-Rob-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I generally try to get our customers shooting Super16 to do an anamorphic video transfer. If you edit in 16:9 anamorphic and build a DVD at the end the set top player will auto letterbox for 4:3 sets and play 16:9 for newer widescreen sets. Seems like a good all around way to go as many people have plasma's or lcd's now.

This anamorphic workflow DOES look better in the end. Keep everything anamorphic through the whole process (Final Cut Pro does a great job with this) and create an actual anamorphic DVD and it will look amazing on a 16:9 TV. Plus, as long as the DVD player is setup properly it will automatically letterbox on a standard 4:3 tv.

This looks so good that I've slowed down my quest for HD transfers of my film work... it doesn't seem like it's worth it at this point.