A few good lightmeters

Antonio Bunt

I was looking around eBay and I found some Gossen Luna Pro meters but some need special batteries and I don't want to deal with voltage changes and the like. I found a good Sekonic (L-398A Studio Deluxe is it fancy name) but I was wondering if there's another one within that price range or if I need badly the spot meter? Any thought will be very appreciated!

I really like the Sekonic L-358 and L-558 cine series, I have a 358 and it works great, though I do sometimes wish I had a more sensiive light sensor, though you can compensate. The 558 is neat because it also has a spot meter built into it, so its like 2 in 1. Check out some stuff Minolta has too, Spectra isnt bad as well.

Hey Kenny

I have one of those... ( sekonic 358) and I'm getting an Eclair NPR soon

I will be using the variable speed shutter....

is the meter still good for that or should I get an 558?

Best

I really like the Sekonic L-358 and L-558 cine series, I have a 358 and it works great, though I do sometimes wish I had a more sensiive light sensor, though you can compensate. The 558 is neat because it also has a spot meter built into it, so its like 2 in 1. Check out some stuff Minolta has too, Spectra isnt bad as well.

Wow that's the only difference?

I thought that the 358 can't read the shutter angle with the cine speeds?

I'm not too sure, I just remember someone who had both tell me that was the only difference when I was buying mine.

Wow, apparently Sekonic discontinued the 558 and replaced it with the 758DR and Cine.

The 758Cine is the new spot/incident combo and it indeed does have the shutter angle capabilities.

My point earlier was that with the cine speeds ont he 358 you could just compensate with shutter angle.

I believe the ASC manual has some information and charts regarding that.

From the Sekonic website regarding the new 758:

Specialized cine functions including: Shutter-angle settings from 1° to 10° in 1° increments, from 15° to 270° in 5° increments plus 12°,17°,22°,144° and 172° individual settings, cine speeds from 1 to 1000 fps, preset filter factor numbers and compensation values, analog aperture scale in 1/3 steps, 17 custom function settings, and the ability to read cd/m2 from 0.25-190,000, Footcandles from 0.10-180,000, Footlamberts from 0.07- 190,000, and Lux from 0.63-190,000.

I think you'll be fine with your 358, it's a great meter and I wouldn't worry much about shutter angle abilities, as long as you know how to compensate I think youre fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe it's a dumb question but, can I use some kind of DIY contraption or adapter to convert any incident metre on a spot one?

Sekonic make a 1 degree spot attachment for the 358.

If the 358 is not cheap enough why not get a sekonic studio deluxe (398) or an old gossen they made some which take a 9v alkaline.

what's the formula to compensate?

best

Hey Martin,

It's really simple...assuming you're starting with a 180 degrees as your normal shutter angle, 90 is 1 stop, 45 is 1 more stop and so on and so forth. Meaning, the more you close your shutter, the wider you have to set your aperture.

Enjoy your NPR!

Now, back to light meter recommendations. I have a Spectra IV which I adore, and if you're good at knowing what your incident readings are telling you, then you won't have much use for the spot meter. Unless you're REALLY concerned about any hot practicals that are in your shots or something.

You can usually find a Spectra IV on eBay for under $200. I got mine for $130!

• 3 months later...
Now, back to light meter recommendations. I have a Spectra IV which I adore, and if you're good at knowing what your incident readings are telling you, then you won't have much use for the spot meter. Unless you're REALLY concerned about any hot practicals that are in your shots or something.

Know what your incident readings are telling you? Doesn't it measure the light falling on the subject, which unlike a reflected reading, the darkness or brightness of the subject won't effect the reading... therefore giving you a reading for correct exposure?

What else do you need to know?

If you're on a budget go for a Sekonic Studio ( I have two 398's...love em) it's simple uses no batteries and often you can find one on ebay that will go for a song.

as for the shutter stizy I say keep an asc manual handy... I think film tools has them for like 66 bucks which is a totally worthwhile investment if you think you could use a reference. I use mine all the time.