Buying SRII With Converstion

Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member

Dear Forum,

I am planning to buy a Super 16 Arri SRII very soon from VisualProduct in ohio, with their B/w video tap installed as well.

The package can be seen here: http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProduct...=17&Cat2=30

I just want to know if this is a good investment, starter package, from a reputable company. ALso, in your honest opinion, is the price worth what I'm getting.

Best,

~Adrian

Not bad for $16k, although I'm hoping that by "Steel bayonet 52mm flange" they're meaning PL mount...because I'm assuming that could be problematic if you're shooting S16 and want to use 35mm lenses.

Without a PL mount, the SR is useless in my mind...I didn't even know they came in anything other than PL, hmmmm

Also, I'd request some test registration footage so you know it's in good condition.

Actually, after looking around their site, I'd rather go for their SRI or either one of their Aaton's which all come a lot cheaper than $16k.

The SRI is virtually identical to the SRII, the only difference is from where the electronics originated...PLUS it has a PL mount :)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

The SRI is virtually identical to the SRII, the only difference is from where the electronics originated...PLUS it has a PL mount :)

I'm sorry John but that is slightly inaccurate. Arri switched from the troublesome French electronics to the German Electronics sometime DURING the production of the SR I. I believe there is a body serial number where the switch occurred. One can check with Arri to determine what the number is. They have their American home base in Blauvelt, NY. Sometime during that time they increased the depth of the tripod mounting thread receptacle as it had been too shallow on earlier models and the screw was driving into the electronics inside the body. Again this was with earlier SR I but check with Arri at which Serial number this was changed.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

• Premium Member

The "common knowledge" serial number for the change over was 60901, but I would like to talk to George out at ARRI USA in New York and get that nailed down. Was considering a camera that happened to be serial number 60902, and my big concern is if ARRI did what Aaton did back then, which was phase changes in over a number of serial numbers. So maybe camera 60901 had the German motor and electronics, and 60900 had the French versions, but maybe 60902 had French, 60903 had German, until by about 60910 everything was German. Or did ARRI do it where BAM, as of this serial number, no more French components.

But again, the common knowledge serial number for the change over is 60901.

-Tim