Has anyone tried the 16mm Fuji Velvia stocks?

I'm in exactly the same position in terms of interest in it...

I still shoot a lot of it with my Mamiya RZ ... Though at the moment I'm churning through a bulk order of Fortia (even more saturated).

I have some long exposure stills here that I'd like to emulate but in motion picture - ie. timelapse long exposure in 16mm - thing is the Velvia (50) was pushed two stops and cross processed into a sort Fuji Vomitia neg ...

The lab that did the processing cant do 16mm and I'm wondering if the local cine labs will come up with the same result as I did in the 6x7's ...

One day when I have some dispoable income (ie never) I'll give it a go - maybe try and work it into a project .

Here's some super 8 clips that someone posted on here:

http://www.westsiderfilm.com/clips2.html

Here is the thread it was in:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...9&hl=velvia

Too bad the 35mm version is so outrageously expensive. Those colors would be wild!

Steve Zimmerman

Edited by Steve Zimmerman

• Premium Member

I've used it in Super 8 from Spectra and been really happy with it, great summer outdoor stock with vibrant colors. If you're transfering to video however, Kodak 100D would probably be fine for you and you could simply dial in a little more saturation.

If you project 16mm reversals, the Velvia would certainly be fun to try.

I agree with the popular notion that Fuji Velvia 50 is stunning in still photography. Ive shot it in both 35mm and in medium format. Although the new Velvia 100 is supposedly finer grained, I reckon that to my eyes, the original 50 looks sharper when viewing transparencies under a loupe. I find it hard to decsribe but I also find that the 50 has an almost three dimensional look about it. There are rumours that Fuji are going to re-release Velvia 50 and that this new 50 film will have identical characteristics to the original version. I hope this is indeed true. Understandably, there was a huge outcry when the original Velvia 50 was discontinued.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

Man I love those colors

Reversal is one of the most beautiful types of stock

I love the richness of the stock

even better when you cross process it aaaaaaaaaa lovley ( I have done tons of experimentations on 35mm stills and I want to shoot it on 16 now)

Man I will love to share my experiments later on with you

Best

• 6 years later...