Buying an Arri SR-2

John Mastrogiacomo

• Premium Member

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Arri SR-2 S16 (SR 63298).

I have asked the buyer who did the S16 conversion.

Does anyone know where the Arri sits with relation to the serial number?

Is the SR-2 an early or late SR-2?

Any info about electronics, etc.

Thanks for any information. :huh:

Is the SR-2 an early or late SR-2?

Any info about electronics, etc.

Hi John!

youre asking about : Is the SR-2 an early or late SR-2?

you mean between sr-sr2 or sr2 to sr3 or what?

i think that if you mail the serial number to arri they coukd told you the production year so you have an idea of the age of the camera.

bye!

Treegan

• 2 years later...
Hi John!

youre asking about : Is the SR-2 an early or late SR-2?

you mean between sr-sr2 or sr2 to sr3 or what?

i think that if you mail the serial number to arri they coukd told you the production year so you have an idea of the age of the camera.

bye!

Treegan

I'm curious about this too. I just purchased an SR2 and would like to know its age.

Call (or email) ARRI... they will be happy to tell you. Mine is early 80s.... still runs like a champ.

Yeah..yesterday I contacted an Arri tech who informed me that March 1985 was my camera's birthday :)

This is the first time Ive operated an SR in over 10 years, so Im learning everything again. Im testing my batteries which are in good shape - got the green light and the sound level is A HUGE DIFFERENCE compared to my Arri S. Of course everyone here knows that, but it really is nice to hear a lot less from a camera. Although I've yet to take a db reading.

But one thing that is strange, while I am testing my camera with an empty mag at 24 fps, I am getting my crystal pulse, but there is also a soft clicking sound, much like that of a car's directional light "clicking"...you know...your left or right blinker. Does this makes sense? Is this normal?

Thanks

Edited by Keneu Luca

• Premium Member

Could be the film counter arm thingi in the mag clicking on the core holder/collapsible core. I seem to recall my SR3 making a soft click when run dry though I've only done that once or twice out of testing as I had just got it and didn't have any stock at the time.

Could be the film counter arm thingi in the mag clicking on the core holder/collapsible core. I seem to recall my SR3 making a soft click when run dry though I've only done that once or twice out of testing as I had just got it and didn't have any stock at the time.

I suppose it could be. Although the click I hear is not at all random, but like a perfect pulsating click. Is testing the camera WITHOUT A MAG a bad idea?

It'll be fine for short durations w/o a meg, it's a standard way of making sure the thing works right (pulsing gun to make sure the shutter speed is set up right etc)

I actually just took out the cores and ran it again. You were right, it was the cores clicking. Good call. :)

Thanks Adrian.

• Premium Member

Yep Don't mention it. As a general rule, you never want to run it while that arm is hitting onto the core w/o the film, it can wear it down. Of course, I personally don't like leaving them in the "locked"position when storing it on my SR3, whether or not it's detrimental, I dunno, just personal preference.

• Premium Member

That I can't help you with, I don't think, Might need some lubrication. I would recommend perhaps sending the camera out for a CLA anyway before you shoot much with it (Clean Lubrication Adjustment) which should take care of any/all problems, including the ones you can't diagnose at home (Flange Focal Distance for example). That's bout all I have on that, though

That I can't help you with, I don't think, Might need some lubrication. I would recommend perhaps sending the camera out for a CLA anyway before you shoot much with it (Clean Lubrication Adjustment) which should take care of any/all problems, including the ones you can't diagnose at home (Flange Focal Distance for example). That's bout all I have on that, though

Yeah lubricating it does seem like a solution. However, isnt it supposed to be a dry camera? In Jon Fauers book, he pretty much says he'll come to your house and kick your ass even if you just rub nose grease anywhere on the thing.

• Premium Member

The SR and SRII are "dry" cameras, but that doesn't mean there isn't lubrication in them. It means you can't "oil" them or "grease" them like you did the Arriflex 16S, 16M, 16BL, and Arriflex IIA, IIB, IIC.

I realize it is costly, but I would definitely have a CLA on the camera and both mags before you shoot anything important. Those camera need regular service to run properly and to run quietly.

Congrats again on the new camera.

Best,

-Tim

The SR and SRII are "dry" cameras, but that doesn't mean there isn't lubrication in them. It means you can't "oil" them or "grease" them like you did the Arriflex 16S, 16M, 16BL, and Arriflex IIA, IIB, IIC.

I realize it is costly, but I would definitely have a CLA on the camera and both mags before you shoot anything important. Those camera need regular service to run properly and to run quietly.

Congrats again on the new camera.

Best,

-Tim

Gracias Tim

Im planning a drive to Arri headquarters in nearby Blauvelt sometime soon.

• 11 months later...

there is also a soft clicking sound, much like that of a car's directional light "clicking"...you know...your left or right blinker.

Does this makes sense? Is this normal?

Hello Luca,

this makes perrfectly sense. If you open your mounted magazine on the take-up side you will find the collapseable core and the film locking lever loose.

While the core turn it "cling" goes open and "cling" closes. You just have to tighten it. Dare you put any grease to the camera!!! (DON'T)

Instead:

Let me give you one advice. Get Jon Fauers Book and read it. It's thin and straight to the point (so no long readings neccesary)

then (and only then) you may consider "servicing" your camera.

Good luck and regards,

Phil