Another Green Screen Question

mattharding

I know this question must have been asked before, but I searched the archives and could not find it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When shooting chroma key/green screen strictly for transfer to video, what is the best exposure for the screen on a reflective reading (so that a digital artist can pull a good/clean key)? I figure about one stop hotter than 18% grey? So let's say that I set my key such that I want to expose at an f4, I want to light the green screen so that the reflective meter tells me f5.6--right?

Ok, lets say:

Reflected reading: green screen at background reads t 4.0. subject " caucasian women " her light read with gray card for key light is t 4.0 and her skin reads 5.6. Then shall be exposure be set at t 4.0 ?. Ive known a theory that says, green or blue set a zone V, skin tones for good rendering + be higher one zone from V or green screen. Opinions on this?

• Premium Member

A faster shutterspeed will help minimize motion blur, which could give you a slightly sharper edge for matting any single frame. But you'd just end up with motion that looks unnaturally strobed, which wouldn't help your key look any more realistic or better. I would shoot the foreground pass with the shutterspeed you desire for the final comp.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'll second Mr. Nash's comments. If your keyer can't even deal with motion blur, it's going to have a hell of a time with genuinely tricky stuff like hair. Or rather, if removing motion blur helps it look better, there's already something wrong.

Phil