Dedo kits! Oh soo many choices!

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

since a couple of you (Stephen Williams and others) have spoken so highly about using/owningDedos I added that to my own experience of using rented ones and decided to get a kit. I got a copy of the catalog at my local dealer here. Any every time I pick that bastard up I decide to by a different kit!

Does anyone own a pre-made kit? And if so which one? Soft-case? Hard-case? How do the softlights do compared to an Arrilite with Chimera?

My plan for using the Dedos is twofold: supplement what larger instruments I have (2x 650 Arri fresnels, 1x Arrilite 800 w/ Chimera, 1x 2k open face, a couple of PAR56s and PAR64s), and to maybe have a small, portable kit that can handle small interviews and such to grab when traveling light.

Currently I'm mostly shooting doco stuff, but I want to get more into the field of narrative stuff soon, so please do consider that as well. Thanks for your input!

Can anyone recommend a particular kit? My budget for this will be around 2500-3000 ? max.

Cheers, Dave

I've never seen much point in owning Dedos. They're nice lamps, sure, but very expensive, and too much of a specialty lamp for me to bother buying.

If it's physically small lamps you want for a travelling kit, then why not try the Arri 150w units, and some Rifa-lites?

Unless you specifically need a lamp that focuses like a Dedo does, there are far cheaper options available.

• Premium Member
I've never seen much point in owning Dedos. They're nice lamps, sure, but very expensive, and too much of a specialty lamp for me to bother buying.

If it's physically small lamps you want for a travelling kit, then why not try the Arri 150w units, and some Rifa-lites?

Unless you specifically need a lamp that focuses like a Dedo does, there are far cheaper options available.

Hi Stuart & David,

1 bulb lasts 2 years, however many times you drop them (even in water :lol: ) when they are running. They are virtually free to own in 2 years V bulbs on other lights.

I don't have a Kit, just seperate pieces. All 150w 1 x single & 3 with a transformer. I would buy all single if I started again but they were not available when I bought mine. I rent projectors & extra lights when needed.

For a softlight go with a Rifa.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi Stuart,

an Arri 150 is about 320 eu w/ dimmer. One globe costs about 22 and from what I know burns for about 15-25 hours!

one Dedo DLH4 150W w/ dimmable transformer is about 430. One lamps costs about 6 eu and burns for over 1000 hours. Do the math and see where it becomes cheaper to get the more expensive Dedo. But on the other hand the Dedo puts out much more light than the Arri 150.

As for the Rifa, yep I have thought about these as well. If I want to go cheap that's probably a nice option. Which one do you use?

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
I don't have a Kit, just seperate pieces. All 150w 1 x single & 3 with a transformer. I would buy all single if I started again but they were not available when I bought mine. I rent projectors & extra lights when needed.

Hi Stephen!

why do you prefer the small transformers? For their dimming ability? So far I have used the old large trafos more often. They seem very rugged to me and the ability to use whatever AC you have appeals to me as well. But on the other hand I'd rather have the ability to dim when needed. Thus, I figured I'd buy the basic 3 light 24v kit with large trafo and get two dimmer/trafos later on.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen!

why do you prefer the small transformers? For their dimming ability? So far I have used the old large trafos more often. They seem very rugged to me and the ability to use whatever AC you have appeals to me as well. But on the other hand I'd rather have the ability to dim when needed. Thus, I figured I'd buy the basic 3 light 24v kit with large trafo and get two dimmer/trafos later on.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes the dimming ability, sometimes only 1 light is needed. I have never had a problem with a trafo, but if you lost all 3 lights...... I will probably buy another single power supply/dimmer unit.

Dedo Specs the 12v 100w lamps @ 3000 hours & the 24v 150w lamps @1000. From past experiance I think the 24v last about the same. When I used to use 150w/300w/600w tungsten lamps I would get through several bulbs a day, I don't even bother to carry spare lamps for the Dedo's, they would probably get destroyed in transit long before I needed them.

Always ask your Dedo dealer for ex demo equipment, the DLH 2/ 3's are no longer cool! The DLH 4's are one stop brighter in full spot, otherwise nothing to choose IMHO. Expect the older demo models for half price, a transformer too if you are lucky.

Stephen

When I used to use 150w/300w/600w tungsten lamps I would get through several bulbs a day

Wow, Stephen, what were you doing with them!! ;)

I've got nothing against Dedos, I just don't tend to use them often enough to warrant buying them.

BTW, the ex-demo advice is good for Arri kit as well. All of mine was bought that way.

• Premium Member
BTW, the ex-demo advice is good for Arri kit as well. All of mine was bought that way.

Well, I try to get some stuff that way. It's very hard here though as the market for this kind of stuff is very small and so is the number of resellers and shows. But I always ask. Still I had to get all my ARRI lights and grip stuff new. But, at least, I got a decent deal and a very nice place. They sell globes and lamps as well. Very good deals for these, e.g. ? 4,50 for a R7s 800W Osram.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Wow, Stephen, what were you doing with them!! ;)

I've got nothing against Dedos, I just don't tend to use them often enough to warrant buying them.

Hi Stuart,

Moving & Adjusting whilst hot! the slightest jolt & bang! :lol:

Stephen

• Premium Member
Well, I try to get some stuff that way. It's very hard here though as the market for this kind of stuff is very small and so is the number of resellers and shows. But I always ask. Still I had to get all my ARRI lights and grip stuff new. But, at least, I got a decent deal and a very nice place. They sell globes and lamps as well. Very good deals for these, e.g. ? 4,50 for a R7s 800W Osram.

Cheers, Dave

David,

I see your based in Austria. Try http://www.dedotec.ch/

Call Johnny Kurtz the owner, say I sent you, hopefully he can sort you out.

Stephen

EDIT He actually is listing some ex demo & second hand units. http://www.dedotec.ch/produkte/pdf/secondhand/2ndhand.pdf

• Premium Member
David,

I see your based in Austria. Try http://www.dedotec.ch/

Call Johnny Kurtz the owner, say I sent you, hopefully he can sort you out.

Stephen

EDIT He actually is listing some ex demo & second hand units. http://www.dedotec.ch/produkte/pdf/secondhand/2ndhand.pdf

Thanks Steve!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

... I bought a dedo 150w 24v kit from creative video uk. 'Kit came with 3 head fixtures, barn doors, dimmers, stands, gel holders, projecter lens and gobos etc in a well made and padded soft case. It was cheaper than anyone else in the uk... have a look at their site for kit types... I also added a small chimera kit and flexible mount arm...

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/index.php

regards,

Rupe.

They are very rugged little lights. Once I dropped my dedo 150W with built in transformer 6 foot to the ground while the lamp was burning. To my surprise,

the bulb was all running good after the strong impact, except the screw at the back door was bent.

I prefer DLHM4-300 over DLH4 becuase the bulit-in transformer is completely cool to touch and avoid burning my fingers when I adjust the light angle. The tiny back plastic screw of DLH4 is the only cool component to touch...If one thing Dedo light can be improved, I would say they should include the option of attaching a small handle like the Lowell 650 fresnel.

I highly recommend the Dedo projection attachment as part of your kit; i love it very much.

Edited by Sing Lo

• Premium Member

Hi Rupe,

thanks for the info. I think their prices are roughly the same as here in Vienna. I think I have my mind set on the Explorer kit. I will a small soft box and, when I have the money, the DP1 projection attachment. Should I see the need to get a compact soft light I'll have to decide whether I'll get a Rifa, or the DLH1x150s. The main advantage of the latter is that fact that you can run it off 12v as well. We'll see.

Hi Sing,

I have also burnt my fingers on an older dedo once. But nowadays I always carry Setwear gloves. This greatly reduced burns when using lights. :D

The reason why I'll not get the DLH4-300 is the fact that you can't run these of a battery. I'd like to have a number of lights for the ultra-rural/outback doco stuff. Might shoot such a project next year, so I really want to keep that in mind.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member
Hi Rupe,

thanks for the info. I think their prices are roughly the same as here in Vienna. I think I have my mind set on the Explorer kit. I will a small soft box and, when I have the money, the DP1 projection attachment. Should I see the need to get a compact soft light I'll have to decide whether I'll get a Rifa, or the DLH1x150s. The main advantage of the latter is that fact that you can run it off 12v as well. We'll see.

Hi Sing,

I have also burnt my fingers on an older dedo once. But nowadays I always carry Setwear gloves. This greatly reduced burns when using lights. :D

The reason why I'll not get the DLH4-300 is the fact that you can't run these of a battery. I'd like to have a number of lights for the ultra-rural/outback doco stuff. Might shoot such a project next year, so I really want to keep that in mind.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards, Dave

Hi David,

When running off 12 v batteries, don't use the standard 12v bulbs because the battery voltage is higher than 12 v (14v?). If you do you won't get the 3000 claimed hours! Dedo supply the other bulbs that will last.

Stephen

• Premium Member
When running off 12 v batteries, don't use the standard 12v bulbs because the battery voltage is higher than 12 v (14v?). If you do you won't get the 3000 claimed hours! Dedo supply the other bulbs that will last.

Hi Steven!

Thanks for the info. I guess you're the local dedo expert :D. Trouble is when people know they are being a pest by constantly asking more questions!

Cheers, Dave

if you buy Arri 150's make sure you buy lots of replacement globes, because you will definitely need them sooner than you think.

Edited by Gustavo Brum

• Premium Member
Hi David. I'd thoroughly recommend the Dedo softlight http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3896...Light_Head.html . The Deodoflex softbox sets up in seconds. Also the focusing attachment with gobos can be invaluable for breaking up backgrounds

I took a look at the new Dedo DLH4 and accessories yesterday. Quite solidly made, especially the transformers/dimmers. I had thought them to be much more flimsy.

I'll probably get the Explorer kit with three DLH4 a small soft box and the DP1 imager. Whether I'm gonna get a Dedo soft light in the future or a Rifa, I don't know. We'll see... Thanks all!

Cheers, Dave