A Good Lighting Set-up for HD Digital?

I'm going to be shooting a TV Pilot and I was wondering what the average set-up for all the pro's out there is? I have plenty of lights, plenty... of all different Watts, but I am shooting on HDV Digital 720 30p camcorder. What intensity of key, back, and fill, should I be looking at. And what F-stop would look the best coming out of a digital device (2.8?) and at what shutter speed. I plan on converting all of the footage to 24p after the project is finished to see how that looks.

Thanks

• Premium Member

30P does not convert well to 24P -- you'd be better off shooting 60i if you needed to convert to 24P. Or 25P. Or 50i. Just not 30P.

You're shooting video so you can set the amount of fill or the brightness of a backlight by looking at the monitor.

if you ask this basic questions maybe ask yourself can i DP the show?

not to insult you but if you cant control this how you control lighting setup time blocking solving everyday problems on set

you can get in a lot of trouble!!!!

if you ask this basic questions maybe ask yourself can i DP the show?

not to insult you but if you cant control this how you control lighting setup time blocking solving everyday problems on set

you can get in a lot of trouble!!!!

I don't take it as an insult, and I have never had a problem with lighting, in fact it is usually what I receive the most complements for, but as a back-up I was seeking a little bit more professional advice since I recently became a member of this forum (seems like a useful tool to me). Personally I can tell when I need more or less light just by looking where I am going to shoot. I can tell what the scene is going to look like on "MY" camera before I shoot it. I have just noticed that on certain television shows, many times where will be no back light and the actors will seem like they are connected to their background (sometimes looks good that way), and other times like most standard shows I will see a nice back light to pull the actors out of the frame. Just looking for opinions on what type of mood these different variations of lighting can create.

hi

you need to control your high lights in video the whites get "burn" very fast and uncontrolled lighting will shown

and yes video like soft light

try to work with longer lenses

• Premium Member
why 30P cannot convert well to 24P, why 60i can ?

I didn't say you couldn't convert 30P to 24P. You could convert a ham sandwich to 24P probably. I said it didn't convert as well as the other speeds.

It's simple math. 30 discreet images / motion samples are so close to 24 that it's hard to make the conversion look smooth. With 60i, you have 60 motion samples to convert into 24 frames. With 25P, you just have to run it at 24 fps. With 50i, you just have to convert it to 25P and run it at 24 fps.

I'm going to be shooting a TV Pilot and I was wondering what the average set-up for all the pro's out there is? I have plenty of lights, plenty... of all different Watts, but I am shooting on HDV Digital 720 30p camcorder. What intensity of key, back, and fill, should I be looking at. And what F-stop would look the best coming out of a digital device (2.8?) and at what shutter speed. I plan on converting all of the footage to 24p after the project is finished to see how that looks.

Thanks

funny nobody (except David) really answer to your question, that's what i 've learned : the secrets of the pro ,die with the pros ,they are never revealed ; )

we here to help anyone as much as we can

he ask general q and he got same very good advices about lighting f/stop lens

if he will be more specific i am sure every one here will help him

i don't think you'r saying was in place.

not in this forum !!!!!!!

I totally agree with Ram. Yet, Stuart Brereton has a wonderful way of laying things down in hard facts. David Mullen is more complex in how he articulates his knowledge, but his knowledge base is incredible.

Thanks, David. It's an honour to have an ASC here.