Battery for Eclair NPR ?

Alain LeTourneau

I've been using a large NRG battery belt to power my Eclair NPR. Trouble is it's enormous and heavy when carrying it for long distances (I hate lugging it around when I'm carrying the tripod and camera at the same time).

Can anyone recommend a smaller battery to power an NPR? Possibly something that is an on-board model?

Thanks,

Alain

You don't need a particularly large battery to power an NPR. A 5amp 12v brick should easily run you all day. You can buy a lead acid one of these in a pouch witha charger from an outfit like BESCOR for under $100. Or make one if you're comfortable with a soldering iron for around $25.

George at Optical Electro House makes a battery that is small enough to velcro to the magazine door. Bob quoted me $200 w/ a charger. This seems like a lot for a battery that Bob said will only power 2 mags before it loses its charge.

Mitch's $100 5A 12V battery from Bescor sounds like a better option, but just to second the question: "will it work". I like the sound of $25 option too. Are the cells and hardware easy to locate?

The Eclair manual says 12V 3.5Ah.

Thanks,

Alain

Certainly it will work. 12v 3.5amp means that after one full hour of continuous running (more than 5 mags), the camera will have consumed 3.5amps of power. So I think a 5amp cell will cover you. Get a 7amp if you're concerned. This is common simple stuff, and people use these bricks and sells them new on eBay all the time. Check out Bescor's website or other bricks at B&H Photo if you wish.

Careful Velcro-ing batteries to the side of the mag. The latch system was designed to handle the weight of the mag with film. Additional weight could pull the gate out of depth or strain the mag right off the camera. I know this was an issue with sticking a battery onto the ACL, but the NPR is rather hardier.

You could probably make something using NP-1 batteries and find a way to mount it to the handle or camera body. NP-1 boxes cost under $100 and the bricks are less than that as well, and they should run at least 5 mags each.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> 12v 3.5amp means that after one full hour of continuous running (more than 5

> mags), the camera will have consumed 3.5amps of power

Don't wish to be a pain, but correct conclusion, slightly mangled reasoning (amps are not a unit of power).

3.5Ah as a battery rating simply means "pull 3.5 amps for an hour, and it's flat."

If the camera pulls 3.5A, such a battery will in theory run it for an hour, although it's usual to derate in view of other losses. In practice, your 5Ah battery (capable of supplying 5A for one hour, in theory) will probably give you an hour's run on a 3.5A load before the voltage drops too low to be usable.

Do not discharge sealed lead-acid cells below 0.8V per cell, and use the proper charger.

Phil

• Premium Member
Oh, my npr manual says 6-10 400 ft mags for 12v 3.5Ah battery.

Jason

theorically, it could be the case, with brand new battery, working in standard temperature conditions, with no discharging beetween mags etc.

5 mags seems to be a good average rate. I usually consider you need 2 batteries for a normal conditions average shooting day, even if only a backup and have the good surprise of doing the whole day with one, always have at least two. When one is done, put it in charge straight away, and the night in beetween shooting, reload the one you've finished the day with, then you always start the day with 2 plain full ones.

For an immediate fix I'm getting a Bescor lead-acid brick (as per Mitch's suggestion). It's the cheapest option available short of making my own.

Down the road...

NP-1 battery $60-90 + NP-1 > 4 pin connector $60 + charger. Does anyone know where I can get a charger for $50 or less? The ones I've seen are all $100 and above.

Thanks,

Alain