Spectra light meter, any good

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a first light meter,does anybody have anything to say about the Spectra Proffesional IV Link

Are they any good? Do they chew throught the batteries? I did a search for light meters but nobody has mentioned Spectra. Is it a good brand? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Edited by Brad Smith

Spectra meters have been used by top Hollywood DPs for decades. So, they're not quite what you'd normally buy as a first meter, but the options are much more limited these days. They're intended to be used by cinematographers rather than still photographers, so you won't find consumer reviews.

You could compare prices with the Sekonic range.

I've got one of their old analogue meters and it still works after years of tough TV filming.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a first light meter,does anybody have anything to say about the Spectra Proffesional IV Link

Are they any good? Do they chew throught the batteries? I did a search for light meters but nobody has mentioned Spectra. Is it a good brand? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad,

I have Spectra for many years. Started when they were still analogue. Today I am using model Spestra Pro IV(Digital). I like it. You will not need to change battery for at least a Year. Very reliable.

If you decide to get one contact me I will help you with good price.

• Upvote 1

My first meter was a Spectra IV...and it still is! I love it, it's easy to use, even for the novice filmmaker and LOTS of pro DP's use it as well.

The battery life is good, just depends on how often you'll be using it, so you can't say automatically that it'll last you a year. But a new battery is like $6 at your local Walgreens anyway (or whatever is the common Rx store in Australia), and you should always carry an extra in your meter's pouch.

I got mine off eBay for $130 and haven't had to calibrate it yet.

Get one! I highly recommend it!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

I'll throw my support for the spectra. My first light meter, my only light meter. It has served me well, and still on the first battery after more than a year (though the batt light came on for the first time on my last shoot)

great light meter, easy to use.

btw, they come in various colors, ha ha

Mine's black, I would have felt kinda weird with a yellow one...although I almost bought a blue one. In the end I felt the colorful ones looked a bit too Fisher Price for me, lol!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
btw, they come in various colors, ha ha

Mine's black, I would have felt kinda weird with a yellow one...although I almost bought a blue one. In the end I felt the colorful ones looked a bit too Fisher Price for me, lol!

But you can't lose a yellow meter. ;)

I have a black one too, actually, but it is wrapped with fluorescent pink camera tape! :P

• Premium Member
Mine's black, I would have felt kinda weird with a yellow one...

Hee, hee.:lol: My gaffer friend bought a yellow one on ebay and I rib him about it every time he pulls it out on set. It's not very sexy (unless you're into Big Bird or something) but it gets the job done!

Hee, hee.:lol: My gaffer friend bought a yellow one on ebay and I rib him about it every time he pulls it out on set. It's not very sexy (unless you're into Big Bird or something) but it gets the job done!

Almost the EXACT reason why I didn't get a yellow one, ha ha!

You know, its a shame that those red-carpet specials don't delve into light meter fasion. Who cares whos wearing who....I want to know what color lightmeter Rodger Dekins is wearing this year. It doesn't matter if the meter is in calibration, just if its in style......oh well you'll all see. Next year blue will be the new black!

• 2 weeks later...

Go Spectra.....the best for a Cinematographer that there is. i own 2 Digi IV's and an analogue and yes one of my IV's is yellow...if anyone ever hassles me about it, I tell them it is waterproof...that shuts them up. (of course, it isn't waterproof, but hell I am the DP)....BTW....I was at Spectra in Burbank and they had a Chrome version in the showcase. I don't think it was for sale though.

over and out,

Eric

I have my spectra IV A for ten years . simply the best partner at this time.. in the other hand, last year I did a calibration in burbank (not because did wrong readings just because a good friend need a "Spa-vacation").. spectra guys are very professional ... ask for Gabriel Perez if you need support ..

Rodrigo

• Premium Member
I have my spectra IV A for ten years . simply the best partner at this time.. in the other hand, last year I did a calibration in burbank (not because did wrong readings just because a good friend need a "Spa-vacation").. spectra guys are very professional ... ask for Gabriel Perez if you need support ..

Rodrigo

I'm still using my Spectra Analog and I love it. These days I use it mostly for footcandles but I have tons

of slides if I want to get f-stops directly, although often I just do the math with the footcandles.