prime lens and canon 814?

Marco Van

is it possible to fit a prime lens on a canon 814?

if it's possible, how is it done? i am not very knowledgeable

about these things but i am interested in using one to a

super 8 camera. any help will be appreciated.

Very few Super-8 cameras were made to accept interchangeable lenses, and the 814 wasn't one of them. The zoom lens is much too closely incorporated into the camera, optically, electrically and mechanically, to even think about removing it. The most you could do would be to attach an aspherical wide-angle or telephoto adapter, which would screw on like a filter, but they're not usually optically brilliant.

the nice thing about having interchangable lenses is you can use primes and modern glass. the beaulieus and mekel is great becasue they are c mont and you can really stick just about anything on them you want. the leicina has a deep backfocus so you are limited with what you can put on them.that and they arent as cyncable as the beulieus

From all the super8 Leicinas only the Leicina Special accepts other lenses and it isn't C-mount.

Leicina Special has M-bayonet mount(same as some leica stillcameras). The only M-mount primelens I know that's made for S8 is the 10mm schneider, allthough I think it's pretty similar to the schneider 10mm for 16mm-cameras.

The performance of the 1,8 / 6 - 66 mm zoom at 10mm is nearly as good as the 10mm-prime. The 10mm is very compact and light-weight... it's my favorit lens for S8...

cheers, Bernhard

the leicina special can take arri standard mount lenses if you have the right adaptor. this still limits you to older lenses but would be a vast improvement in image quality compared to zooms. some old zeiss primes would do you well. the c mount cameras still offer the best lens options

IMO, the biggest factor for image sharpness with Super8 zoom cameras is to shoot with plenty of light, so the iris will stop down to f/11 or f/16. Almost all the zoom lenses of that era have poor definition when shot wide open. The Canon 814 has one of the better zooms, but it will also benefit from stopping down.