Angenieux 10-150mm? Any good?

David Auner aac

I have one on a S16mm BL and it is super sharp. But, from what I have been told, is that they can become very soft the older they get if regular maintnece is not preformed on them. Clairmont Camera takes care on mine.

Also, minimum focus on mine is 5 feet, which can be limiting at times.

I shot this little trailer on it with some buddies after we finished a feature in Montanna.

http://yellowwoodfilms.com/130togo.html

(Not 100% sure, but I think we're talking about the same lens)

I have one on a S16mm BL and it is super sharp. But, from what I have been told, is that they can become very soft the older they get if regular maintnece is not preformed on them. Clairmont Camera takes care on mine.

Also, minimum focus on mine is 5 feet, which can be limiting at times.

I shot this little trailer on it with some buddies after we finished a feature in Montanna.

http://yellowwoodfilms.com/130togo.html

(Not 100% sure, but I think we're talking about the same lens)

The one on my recently acquired CP-16R can focus closer than 5 feet. Probably to under 3 feet. It looks good through the viewfinder but once I run some test film through the camera I'll have a better idea of how good it is.

Hi

ang. 10 150 is a very old but i thing the most affortable for a newcamer to 16 mm film. Is not quiet sharp as the zeiss or the cooke and there is some wormer at the tones but that i thing is a matter of flavor. It cannot be used in super 16mm it does the vignettes. I used a lot one of those on a cp 16 r years ago and caused the vignettes a liitle at the corners enen on standar 16.

Thanasis Diamantopoulos

Cinematographer

Athens Greece.

About the 5ft thing....you can focus closer, but only if your focal length is a 25mm or greater. On the barrel there is a red line, anything closer than the red line could vignette, anything outside of the red will not. if you shoot within the red, you cannot be on the wide part of the lens. This can be limiting when you absolutley need close focus, because then you essentially have a 25-150

DA Pennebaker used the Angenieux 10-150 on the doc The War Room. He was shooting with

an Aaton XTR.

Angenieux is hated by many camera folks, but 12-120s and 10-150s were used on many wonderful

and important docs and some features shooting 16mm. I think it has its own unique look, maybe not

a Cooke or a Zeiss or a Canon, but not as awful as some people like to claim.

It also boils down to how long you plan to be shooting std 16 and when you plan to convert to s16.

; )

-Alain

• Premium Member
Angenieux is hated by many camera folks, but 12-120s and 10-150s were used on many wonderful and important docs and some features shooting 16mm. I think it has its own unique look, maybe not a Cooke or a Zeiss or a Canon, but not as awful as some people like to claim.

It also boils down to how long you plan to be shooting std 16 and when you plan to convert to s16.

Hi Alain,

you're as helpful as ever! Since I really am new to 16mm, I don't have my preferences set and I tend to go by what I see and experience myself. So if everyone says Angenieux isn't good, but I like its look, I don't really care. I like to judge my equipment by quality, not by names.

Well, the dreaded S16 conversion question! :D

I guess, I see it a little farther down the road. I am a big fan of wide screen, would never shoot a personal project in 4:3. So I guess my std 16 stuff will be heavily cropped always.

Cheers, Dave

Hi folks!

Is the Angenieux 10-150mm 1: 2-2.8 any good?

To me the zoom factor seems rather high, so maybe to much of a compromise, but you never know. I plan to use on an Eclair NPR...

Cheers, Dave

I have Eclair ACL 1.5 with Angenieux 10-150 mm.

I receive this camera and zoom lens at used condition and don't know quality of image of zoom lens at " new " condition.

After a some test, i prefer to use of my Ecliar with russian 16 OPF-12 10-100 mm, 16 OPF-1-2M 12-120 mm and Canon Fluorite 12-120 mm lenses. Canon have macro mode.

Russian 16OPF-12-1 10-100 mm can be modify on Super 16 version.

Hi Olex!

Thanks for the info. What price range are those Russian lenses in?

What mount does that Angenieux lens have? Cameflex?

Cheers, Dave

I think, you need search of price on ebuy.

I see price $300 for set.

Russian 16 OPF-12-1 zoom lens 10-100 mm F2.5 have Kinor-16 lens mount, and can be modify on Arri PL.

The zoom lens can have 0.75x front optical attachment.

The zoom lens will have 7.5-75 mm F 2.5 zoom rate with 0.75x front attachment.

This is zoom lens have design with rear filter setting.

But, If you not wish have any color or density correction, you need attach of " compensative " filter from set of zoom lens. This is clean glass.

Without compensative filter or any other color and density correction filters from set , the zoom lens not working.

This is picture of zoom lens with compensative filter.

This is pictire of set of filters of zoom lens.

I have lens mount adapter " Kinor-16 - CA ( Cameflex ) and use of 10-100 zoom lens with adapter with Eclair ACL camera.

I some time ago, i see similar lens mount adapter on ebuy.

My Eclair ACL-1.5 have CA ( Cameflex) lens mount.

Hey Olex I was wondering 2 things

1) How much it will be to PL mount it and convert to S16 lens? so how much ttal for the whole lens

2) do you have any sample footage of this lens?

Best

Send me private letter on my olex@a-teleport.com and i will give you information about conversion of zoom lens.

I have many private footages.

This is footages from standard version of 10-100.

I have an Angenieux 10-150 on my CP-16R, both from South African news stations. At present the lens is very soft on this camera, and needs collimation. What it will look like matched to the camera is the question - my impression is that stopped down to f/8 or more it will look fine (for a 35 year old zoom lens). I've seen noticable vignetting on closeups, more than expected; this wouldn't be a good S16 lens.

Edited by Robert Hughes

I've used a few, most kinda so-so; one really good one which matched Zeiss 10-100 T2.

Michael Collier addressed the close focus issue I think.

Ang 9.5-57HEC will focus to 2' at all focal lengths. But NG for S16 either.

Ken Hale at Whitehouse is the guy who really knows these lenses.

A zoom lens off collimation on your camera is a fancy coke bottle in any case, doesn't matter what brand !

-Sam