to the mod(s)

jan von krogh

i fail to understand why posting photos is now considered advertisement.

if so, please educate me about the guidelines - i personally was waiting eagerly for real shots of the camera this particular forum is all about.

I think the problem is that the only photos available are the ones that RED and co have decreed release-able! We are never going to see a bad picture coming from them!

We are supposed to be discussing the camera for the purpose of personal evaluation. This can only happen when cameras are in production for testing in private without strings attached. For an example, a while back we had a unauthorized picture through the RED viewfinder, which Jannard was not happy about. But that was much more interesting that most of the stuff RED released!

As for your pictures, the place for those is on RED's own website.

• Premium Member
We are supposed to be discussing the camera for the purpose of personal evaluation. This can only happen when cameras are in production for testing in private without strings attached. For an example, a while back we had a unauthorized picture through the RED viewfinder, which Jannard was not happy about. But that was much more interesting that most of the stuff RED released!

As for your pictures, the place for those is on RED's own website.

Hi Werner,

I think you have answered Jan's question.

This running costs of this site are paid for by Ad's, and sustaining members. The photo's in question were 'options' available for purchasing.

Stephen

so, bottomline:

shots not authorized by the manufacturer and in discussion are ok, shots by the manufacturer not ok.

titlepages of wellknow magazines not ok.

i can´t help myself, but i think these paradigms are not too unbiased.

shots not authorized by the manufacturer and in discussion are ok,

Of course. What kind of discussion forum do you think this should be?

shots by the manufacturer not ok.

titlepages of wellknow magazines not ok.

Only when it seems reasonable that people on this forum might not know about them. If there is some radical -RED development and nobody here is talking about it, a brief link to the page or whatever should be OK, and then we can discuss it .

Jannard doesn't advertise here; he isn't even a sustaining member! He has his own damned site where he can advertise all he likes for free! You can't really blame the management for denying him free advertising here :lol:

Nobody stops Jannard from posting here, you'll notice.

Edited by Werner Klipsch

• Premium Member
Jannard doesn't advertise here; he isn't even a sustaining member! He has his own damned site where he can advertise all he likes for free! You can't really blame the management for denying him free advertising here :lol:

Personally I feel that way particularly about the quotes that got posted here. The people who tested the camera are more than welcome to post about their experiences in detail, but please spare us quotes from folks like Cranky Maxwell Taylor, which really are just disguised advertising without any information content.

• Premium Member

I didn't mind Jannard posting his own tests here, even though it was just a repeat of his posts elsewhere. Imagine if Sony or Kodak engineers posted tests here too? Despite the fact that it is a form of self-promotion, it's still a technical test being posted, it's still information of a sort, and the source is identified, not hidden so it can be taken with a grain of salt.

But if it bugs enough forum members, so be it -- that's the nature of a forum, there has to be some group consensus about its nature.

As for personal tests of the RED or any other camera, lens, or film stock, I don't think anyone here would mind at all.

My only comment about the RED being shot at high ASA ratings is that noise is less distracting in a still shot than in a moving image, so keep that in mind when deciding just how much underexposure is acceptable, image-quality-wise.

• Premium Member
I didn't mind Jannard posting his own tests here, even though it was just a repeat of his posts elsewhere. Imagine if Sony or Kodak engineers posted tests here too?

My vote would be for posting anything technical of value. He was very quick to let everyone know that he had run into a production glitch and I think that speaks volumes of his ethical intent with respect to using forums to publish information about RED.

My only comment about the RED being shot at high ASA ratings is that noise is less distracting in a still shot than in a moving image, so keep that in mind when deciding just how much underexposure is acceptable, image-quality-wise.

Could just be a web legend... but I thought that you were included in a test of the camera with some of the people who were on the waiting list for a camera... maybe just a story someone posted...

Could just be a web legend... but I thought that you were included in a test of the camera with some of the people who were on the waiting list for a camera... maybe just a story someone posted...

From memory, I believe one of the guys on DVInfo offered to let David test the RED he'd ordered.

Showing tests is fine, of course people are going to have their own opinion on what is acceptable on their productions.

It's more a matter of defining the rather grey dividing line between useful technical discussion/debate and viral marketing.

It's more a matter of defining the rather grey dividing line between useful technical discussion/debate and viral marketing.

I think your right about someone saying David could test his...

I think the camera is still a year a way...

All the people who are shooting with the camera will have the money to fix problems... so once all the bugs are out... then who knows...

Myself I'm not a dp... I'm a producer so I wouldn't risk renting or purchasing the camera until then... I can't afford to have down time on a set...

Someone told me just pad my budget so that I can fix things... at that point I might as well pad the budget some more... and shoot 35mm to begin with... and not worry about problems...

Edited by Gary McClurg

Guest M. Andrew Benz
From memory, I believe one of the guys on DVInfo offered to let David test the RED he'd ordered.

Hi Brian,

That was me and the offer still stands whenever the camera is released. David seems to be a great guy (not just a great DP) and he has been very gracious with his knowledge. I just want to pay him back a little for all his incredible input/knowledge/time... But I have to be honest, it would be prudent on my part to let someone who is a lot smarter and knowledgeable to run my camera/lenses through whatever tests they would like... I do look forward to meeting David at the LART when it happens.

This is my first post here so please be gentle...

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Brian,

That was me and the offer still stands whenever the camera is released. David seems to be a great guy (not just a great DP) and he has been very gracious with his knowledge. I just want to pay him back a little for all his incredible input/knowledge/time... But I have to be honest, it would be prudent on my part to let someone who is a lot smarter and knowledgeable to run my camera/lenses through whatever tests they would like... I do look forward to meeting David at the LART when it happens.

Cheers

Andrew

I think you graciously meant to say "smarter than I," meaning that you feel that David is a smart guy.

Guest M. Andrew Benz
I think you graciously meant to say "smarter than I," meaning that you feel that David is a smart guy.

Heheh, thank you Mitch you are absolutely correct. It was in my train of thought, it just didn't leave the station.

Mitch, I look forward to purchasing and renting gear from you guys. You are also a great resource. Thank You.

Cheers,

Andrew

Heheh, thank you Mitch you are absolutely correct. It was in my train of thought, it just didn't leave the station.

Mitch, I look forward to purchasing and renting gear from you guys. You are also a great resource. Thank You.

Cheers,

Andrew

Indeed!

I'm also glad to see you... everywhere Andrew!

Be welcome my friend! ;-)

Emanuel

(...)

Cheers

Andrew

As for personal tests of the RED or any other camera, lens, or film stock, I don't think anyone here would mind at all.

Indeed not. Heck, I'd actually suggest that he grab a member of here to run his own tests.

Might I suggest Santo? 8)

• Premium Member

In response to the thread starter, I would suggest that the moderators avoid discussion of moderating decisions.

It leads to pointless argument.

This is, as they say, not a democracy.

Phil

I didn't mind Jannard posting his own tests here, even though it was just a repeat of his posts elsewhere.

Hello David,

i posted links to the shots of the red camera in its delivery packages as well as a link to a well know publication from new zealand, which decided to put peter jackson and his tests with red prototypes on its frontpage.

the thread was locked down within short time before anyone could comment.

i started this thread in order to understand if we do have a policy and guidelines or personal judgement as base on these forums.

i would like to add that i am amused.

accusing one of the owners of hdcam cameras and gear posting on this board of advertising red is, in itself, an obvious oxymoron.

I think posting the links as "news" was the problem. If you had written a post that said something like "Up until now the only pictures of the RED camera were CAD illustrations but if you go to their website you can find actual photos" than I don't think anyone would complain. When you start a new thread based on linking to those images it feels like an ad. If you just point out that these things exist as an answer to the comments that they had not in the past than that is useful information. Perhaps a fine line, but it is a distinct one I think.

He was very quick to let everyone know that he had run into a production glitch and I think that speaks volumes of his ethical intent with respect to using forums to publish information about RED.

Look I am sorry, but I don't think his "ethical intent" speaks much more than a fold up pamphlet, far from "volumes". He had to tell us something because after making such a big noise about never missing a deadline, his schedule was delayed, but he told us as little as humanly possible as to what happened.

Now after some technical details have been released, I don't see why he couldn't have given out more information earlier on and quietened his critics somewhat.