My Canon 814XL-S

Matthew Buick

Hello.

I just recieved my Canon 814XL-S from George Patoulidis this afternoon. So far I am very impressed by the build quality and function of this camera. I wonder if you 814XL-S users could tell me more about this camera. I also have had trouble locating the button to set the shutter angle.

Best Regards. ;)

Hello.

I just recieved my Canon 814XL-S from George Patoulidis this afternoon. So far I am very impressed by the build quality and function of this camera. I wonder if you 814XL-S users could tell me more about this camera. I also have had trouble locating the button to set the shutter angle.

Best Regards. ;)

Hi Matt

Try this site of Canon, it list all their cine, this is yours.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/cine/f_index.html

Don

• Premium Member

Two of those images are for the older canon 814, canon's mistake, hopefully they will fix it in the futre. Use the 1014 XLS image since it's very close to the 814XLS.

There is an icon of the a sun and of a window shade on the one of the button/dials, the sun icon is for the shutter angle of 150 degrees, the icon of the window or window shade is for 220 degrees. In essence they are saying for outdoors use the 150 degree shutter, for indoors use the 220 degree shutter.

Congratulations on your camera, what did you end up spending on it?

Great camera. It's basically the same thing as the 1014XLS, but less telephoto to the lens. The sound quality is excellent-- if you can, get ahold of some sound cartridges just for fun. You can plug any decent tape recorder mike into the jack. Use a cheap high impedance earphone.

The manual is a must. The 814XLS was one of the first, if not THE first, microprocessor controlled consumer item back in the late 70's. It's very reliable. A little noisy, with that slight pause before the solenoids click over.

I think it's the best, most solid S8 camera out there. Nothing flimsy about it. Great viewfinder.

• Premium Member
Its what you DO with the camera that'll put you in or out of the club.

Not necessarily.

Just walking along the beach with a woman at your side, your Canon 814XLS in your grasp with lens shade bellows fully extended, an unlit pipe, furrowed brow and all should be well with the world. Setting sun optional.