Did you feel the earthquake last night?

John Sprung

• Premium Member

It was a 4.5 magnitude, about a minute before 1 AM, centered about 2.5 miles North of the 118 freeway, and 1 mile West of Topanga Canyon Blvd, depth of 3.4 miles. If you felt it, or if you were in the valley and didn't feel it, you can help the U.S. Geological Survey understand how energy moves thru the rocks under us by filling out a brief survey here:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/STORE/X1.../ciim_form.html

It woke us up, and our daughters phoned to check on us, but nothing fell over, no damage at all, about 8.5 miles away.

Thanks --

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I was in Las Vegas when it happened, I live like 3 miles from PV WH, my friend (Elhanan who posts here) called me and told me about it. When I got home everything was fine, would never have known it even happened. That wasn't the case in 1994 . . .

Why do us humans always choose to live in the dumbest of locations.

Ooo wow.. high earthquake rate spot. Let?s build here!

I say old chap it appears to be raining....hey it's still raining.....hmmmm the river is over flowing........uh oh was that a car that just floated past.......now I'm standing on my roof, wave to that helicopter :D

R,

• Premium Member

If this building got wet, the centre of Chelmsford would be under about forty feet of water.

Of course at the current rate of progress this will actually occur in about 2170, but I'm unlikely to be that bothered by that point. All of LA county will suffer the same fate, of course.

Not so, of course, for the apartment blocks which are just now having their foundations sunk - into the blackwater flood plain.

Foolish humans.

Phil

• Premium Member

Somehow I missed this thread the other day. I felt the quake in West Hollywood. Just a bit of a rumble was all. But I jumped off the couch and put a hand on my TV pretty damn quick in case it got worse. The last one I felt (3 or 4 years ago) had my blinds swinging and I got a little motion sick. Not sure how big that one was.

• Premium Member

Huh, well I just missed it! I was in LA on the 9th and 10th, around Hollywood (Sunset and Las Palmas). Of course, we get plenty of earthquakes up in SF as well. I actually find anything under a 4.0 rather soothing, like a vibrating bed or something.:)

Where in LA are you living now, Chris? How do you like it? I visited a friend who just moved there a few days before and his furnishings consisted of two table lamps, a pillow, and some cardboard boxes.

• Premium Member
All of LA county will suffer the same fate, of course.

Actually not much of LA is that close to sea level. Venice and parts of Santa Monica, Culver City, and San Pedro will be in trouble, along with some of the coastal South Bay. But there are fairly high cliffs just inland from the beach in most places. Even the airport is high enough that it probably won't be bothered at all.

We get BBC news and Prime Minister's Questions on PBS here, so we know you've had flooding problems in England.

As for finding a safe place to build, considering earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, fires and all that, there really isn't much left. IIRC, if you overlay all those risks on a map of the U.S., the only relatively safe region is a small patch somewhere in the far Southeast, like around Fort Benning, GA.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Huh, well I just missed it! I was in LA on the 9th and 10th, around Hollywood (Sunset and Las Palmas). Of course, we get plenty of earthquakes up in SF as well. I actually find anything under a 4.0 rather soothing, like a vibrating bed or something.:)

Where in LA are you living now, Chris? How do you like it? I visited a friend who just moved there a few days before and his furnishings consisted of two table lamps, a pillow, and some cardboard boxes.

I'm a bit southeast of Hollywood, near the Larchmont neighborhood. It's a tough place to adjust to for a backcountry boy like myself. I'm getting there though. Right now our furniture consists of an air mattress, two folding chairs, a little cheap bookshelf, and a couple china balls.

• Premium Member
I'm a bit southeast of Hollywood, near the Larchmont neighborhood. It's a tough place to adjust to for a backcountry boy like myself. I'm getting there though. Right now our furniture consists of an air mattress, two folding chairs, a little cheap bookshelf, and a couple china balls.

There's still an Ikea desk and some shelves in our old place, near Melrose and Windsor, 4 blocks East of Larchmont. There may be an old dresser there, too. You can have any of it if you want.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Why would anyone in the US watch Prime Ministers Question time???!!!!

For the muttering and grumbling mostly. Nothing like that happens in politics here. Robin Williams compared it to the state of the union speech with a two drink minimum. ;-)

Phil's right, though. It is a much better thing than the infrequent press conferences our presidents have. The questions and answers are generally more intelligent than that -- the ones we understand at least. It's presented here with an announcer giving us some very brief background info on some the members and their constituencies and issues.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Actually my purpose there was to highlight the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing nature of UK political debate, inasmuch as the decisions it comes up with are barely more fathomable than those promulgated by Capitol Hill.

> It's presented here with an announcer giving us some very brief background info on some the members and their

> constituencies and issues.

Cor, I wish we got that.

P

Actually not much of LA is that close to sea level. Venice and parts of Santa Monica, Culver City, and San Pedro will be in trouble, along with some of the coastal South Bay.

-- J.S.

I lived in Venice in 84, 86 and 90 - was a young tyke at the time(s) but I remember playing tennis on a court that was above a car park - took a swing at the ball >>Earthquake<< ... totally missed the ball ... Ok I was 8 and not that good, but I'm %98 certain the jolt moved me and the racquet far enough to miss it :lol:

• Premium Member
I lived in Venice in 84, 86 and 90 - was a young tyke at the time(s) but I remember playing tennis on a court that was above a car park - took a swing at the ball >>Earthquake<< ... totally missed the ball ... Ok I was 8 and not that good, but I'm %98 certain the jolt moved me and the racquet far enough to miss it :lol:

".....ruined my budding tennis career" (Nick filling out the earthquake questionaire). Maybe you are entitled to some type of payback from the gov??? (that was a joke).