What's the cheapest HD camera around?

Chris Graham

• Premium Member

Much better. AFAIK the GL2 is not an HD camera at all; just a mini dv. The HVX records DVCPROHD on something called a "P2" card which simply gets plugged into a PCMI (i think?) slot on a laptop and can be imported into FCP without having to digitize the tapes. Also you can shoot miniDV or HDV on standard cassettes. For $5g about, it's a nice camera, though the P2s are expensive they are, of course, re-usable and do save you time on the whole log and capture frontier.

See if you can find a local dealer and go try it out! Or even look to a rental house and see if they'll let you either rent it for a day or just take it to the packing lot and get a feel for the camera.

thank you, guys. really appreciate it.

Am I fine with Adobe Premiere since I don't have Final Cut? I run on PC. Lastly; why is this HVX at this price!?? skeptic

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails...x?prodid=308260

That is a bogus price... its the normal fake camera sales... they'll call you after a day ordering it and say for example "hey we see you forgot to order the lens." "That'll run another $3k"... even though its a fixed lens camera...

Edited by Gary McClurg

1. What are your plans for the camera?

That will help in what advice to give to you...

thanks so much for the prompt reply. In all honesty I'm fairly new to digital formats. Most of my actual cinematic work has been done on 35mm, 16, and 8, preferably. However, I love making shorts, and in this day and age it seems that digital and 24p is one of the most flexible and fun ways to put down ideas or projects. So, I just don't want to get suckered with all the marketing and branding going around with different hi-def specs. I love the GL2. The lens was a big deal when it came out, for Canon of course. However, the GL2 doesn't shoot in 1080i or up to the new "dedicated" as they call 16:9 sensory chips. In the end, imo, a good quality images comes from the lens and good lighting. At the same time I love new features and ease. Would I be stupid to trade in a GL2 for a HV20? Does the anamorphic lens from Century show promise?

btw, when I put the GL2 in "frame" mode is that mimicking 24p? it seems so.

Edited by Chris Graham

If you own the GL2... its standard depth... I believe that a Century adapter costs about $800 on average...

Have you looked into the A1... on average $3,400... 16x9, HD... and Canon... I guess you could say its the HD GL2...

But I haven't shot with either camera... HV 20 I think I've heard you can get it for around $2k...

If you own the GL2... its standard depth... I believe that a Century adapter costs about $800 on average...

Have you looked into the A1... on average $3,400... 16x9, HD... and Canon... I guess you could say its the HD GL2...

But I haven't shot with either camera... HV 20 I think I've heard you can get it for around $2k...

Good morning, Gary. The only reason why I would want to continue using a GL2 is because it's a bit more robust than a small cam. With the GL2, if proper rigged, it's just the ideal and standard shape for a camera if I'm wanting to do jib or crane shots? I know some of you are probably thinking that if I'm going that route I might as well rent out a better camera. Thing is, like all, funding or budgets is extremely tight. I will research the A1.

I have been doing a lot of research or readings towards different censory chips, on how bigger chips aren't necessarily better than smaller ones. For instance the differences of noise ratio.