Difference between Kodak Vision and Vision2

Benjamin_Lussier

• Premium Member
Hi guys,

I bought a bunch of Kodak Vision 500T mags from a guy who kept em in his fridge... THen I realised it wasn't Kodak vision 2... but just vision... vision1 I guess...

Is there a big difference between the two ?

thx

Ben

There is a difference. But the bigger difference will be due to the fact that your film has to be at least two years old....because if memory serves me that's when they switched over. High speed stock does tend to age, even if it's kept in the fridge. That means it gets grainier and milkier. The solution will be to over expose it about 1/2to 2/3 of a stop. After about 6 months I'd start worrying....2 years ??

Perhaps you could send a clip test into your local lab and see how it comes up.

JB

A clip test is a good idear, it should be fine though if it's been in the fridge the entire time. Ideally it should have been in the freezer to almost completely halt the aging.

The biggest difference I hear from others is that Vision2 has a tighter grain structure, and is possibly a little higher contrast. I've never had the opportunity to shoot much of Vision myself. Didn't start shooting 16mm until Vision2 came out.

• Premium Member
A clip test is a good idear, it should be fine though if it's been in the fridge the entire time. Ideally it should have been in the freezer to almost completely halt the aging.

The biggest difference I hear from others is that Vision2 has a tighter grain structure, and is possibly a little higher contrast. I've never had the opportunity to shoot much of Vision myself. Didn't start shooting 16mm until Vision2 came out.

From what I recall there was nearly a full stop extra latitude in the shadows and the highlights seemed about the same. I shot some comparisons but in 35mm. And they more closely match the rest of the Vision 2 family...ie...the stock lost it's personality :-)

It will be fine, just cook a little more in the gate...

jb

• Premium Member

I tried some Vision 800T 2 years ago, and found it to be pretty nasty. My colorist said that 800T was about the "ugliest" stock she worked with (with the possible exception of Ektachrome VNF which isn't used anymore). I found it to be exceedingly grainy.

The Vision 500T was certainly an ok stock and was used extensively... if you're just experimenting I'd go for it. If you have to shoot a music video or a slightly larger project it would probably be worth it to stick with fresh stock you can get more of if you need it.

Lighting & lenses will probably be more important to you than Vision2 vs. regular Vision.

I tried some Vision 800T 2 years ago, and found it to be pretty nasty. My colorist said that 800T was about the "ugliest" stock she worked with (with the possible exception of Ektachrome VNF which isn't used anymore). I found it to be exceedingly grainy.

A few years back I thought about using 800T stock. Even the Kodak representative I was dealing with discouraged me from using it. I went with 500T 7218. Looked great to me.

The biggest difference I hear from others is that Vision2 has a tighter grain structure, and is possibly a little higher contrast.

My opinion is that vision2 is less contrasty then vision. The older vision stocks 7279, 7277 a.s.o. had more contrast, I guess that´s because vision2 have more latitude. Some cinematographers I worked with during the shift from vision to vision2 liked the vision stock more because of this.