Westsider Trailer... Yuck!

John Adolfi

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, this was my original quote. "Is it me or does this trailer look so super-8? Meaning the registration is...Yuck!" Santos has influenced my way of thinking. Super-8 and the way it is being used and how light the cameras are contribute to what seems to be a very "super-8" look for almost everyone who touches it. I thought that parts of the trailer was one more in a list of examples of how I'd like super-8 not to look "unsteady on two fronts 1.) camera movement and 2.) registration. Have you seen the embarrassing footage in pro8mm demo dvd? I'm not criticizing the content, the choice of stocks, story-line, action, direction, acting. I was just asking anyone who cared to comment if the trailer looked "super-8" to anyone else. I want filmmakers to succeed including this film. Wow its amazing how 15 words can be received. So again I ask but without the "yuck" word. Is the registration in this trailer look unsteady to you overall? And so far its a mixed bag. I'm purchasing a Fujica ZC1000 and looking for a Canon DS8 camera to help solve this issue for me. And plan on having every camera I own serviced. Other than moving to an Arri S/B, using a tripod with super8 and weighing down the camera are some solutions. Let's move on.

Edited by John Adolfi

• Premium Member

John,

bad subject title to be sure. You should change it.

bad registration is one of the charms of super 8 and always has been. My Nikon R10 creates a bit of wobble, but it's subtle. My Beaulieu 4008 is always rock solid. YOu might like that camera system if you don't like movement in the frame.

Steve

Santos has influenced my way of thinking. Super-8 and the way it is being used and how light the cameras are contribute to what seems to be a very "super-8" look for almost everyone who touches it.

Why is it that super 8 only looks good if it looks like 16mm and yuck if it actually looks like super 8?

If you want 16mm shoot 16mm and save yourself the headache.

Personally I like the way super 8 looks. Sure it's not grainless or rocksteady but that is part of it's character, if you don't like it maybe you should be shooting 16mm or video. Going to DS8 or Single 8 are not really solutions to the "problem" as they bring their own idiosyncrasies with them (like very few stocks; ease of availability of cameras, filmstock and processing; etc).

Santo (et al) was right super 8 can look more professional than the homemovie look it is always used for, that doesn't make it 16mm and I wouldn't want that anyway. :unsure: That's what 16mm is for.

Mitch, I would refrain from making religious opinions on this forum. Also, referring to people as "idiot" is not professional and insults the integrity of this board. Further posts from you of this nature will be reported.

erm Mitch didn't say anything about religion! He was talking about someone wanting to disprove evolution, although obviously what they were suggesting creating wouldn't do anything of the sort! There was no mention of religion at all, so I'm not sure where you have got this idea from.

It is mean to call someone a idiot tho! :(

Fossilised spark plugs sound fun to me, like when they find ancient technology like the bagdad battery and that sophisticated calendar computer thing.

love

Freya

And we should move on...because you say we should move on?

Funny how you pop up out of nowhere, with no postings to any of your own films or film websites, reference a well-known trouble-making troll like Santo then tell us all the things you intend to do but none of the things you have done.

Very odd...

Personally, I prefer Panavision and Aatons...but you know what? It doesn't mean I've shot anything on them.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, this was my original quote. "Is it me or does this trailer look so super-8? Meaning the registration is...Yuck!" Santos has influenced my way of thinking. Super-8 and the way it is being used and how light the cameras are contribute to what seems to be a very "super-8" look for almost everyone who touches it. I thought that parts of the trailer was one more in a list of examples of how I'd like super-8 not to look "unsteady on two fronts 1.) camera movement and 2.) registration. Have you seen the embarrassing footage in pro8mm demo dvd? I'm not criticizing the content, the choice of stocks, story-line, action, direction, acting. I was just asking anyone who cared to comment if the trailer looked "super-8" to anyone else. I want filmmakers to succeed including this film. Wow its amazing how 15 words can be received. So again I ask but without the "yuck" word. Is the registration in this trailer look unsteady to you overall? And so far its a mixed bag. I'm purchasing a Fujica ZC1000 and looking for a Canon DS8 camera to help solve this issue for me. And plan on having every camera I own serviced. Other than moving to an Arri S/B, using a tripod with super8 and weighing down the camera are some solutions. Let's move on.

And we should move on...because you say we should move on?

Funny how you pop up out of nowhere, with no postings to any of your own films or film websites, reference a well-known trouble-making troll like Santo then tell us all the things you intend to do but none of the things you have done.

Very odd...

Personally, I prefer Panavision and Aatons...but you know what? It doesn't mean I've shot anything on them.

Point well taken. I hope I did not hurt your feelings. I was not trying to. We can move on if and when you and the others are ready.

Take a look at this link. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OAP4Ym7LZhY Notice the first comment? That is all I was trying to say. Again I'll be more careful as to not be so insensitive in my posts until I at least get out of my arm chair and release what I've got for your and others consideration. I'm in Final Cut Heck trying to learn it. Best to you and your projects.