What grading software?

• Premium Member
I was wondering what grading software you guys use (grading as in making the colour of each scene the same).

Hi Oliver,

I do most of color correction in Avid XpressDV which has some nice features. For more elaborate stuff I'd use discreet's combustion or After Effects. HTH.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

The only vaguely affordable (to the individual) dedicated grading software is Apple's Color, which is part of Final Cut Studio (er, I think. Check before you buy.)

Otherwise, yeah, AE, your NLE, whatever. Most of them are capable of doing it to a perfectly good standard, although you may spend a while fiddling around with the less-than-perfect interfaces.

Phil

I use Combustion quite a bit. Its color correction tools are comparable to a Flame or Inferno. Also, it is node based as well as layer based, so you can create a color corrector node and assign it to any number of shots using the "edit" operator. For example, if your A camera needs a certain setting and your B camera another setting, you can create two color corrector nodes (one for A and one for B ). Link each of them to 20 different shots of similar color. Then, when you adjust something, all 20 shots will update at once since they are all connected to the one color corrector node. This is a huge time saver.