film-connection

Guest Rob McGreevy

I'd like to chime in here. I work as a grip/gaffer. I'm considering a return to film school. So I started researching programs and I came across this one. Initially I liked what they were offering. I always do research before I commit to anything, and I thought I'd share my findings with anyone else who is interested in going to this school. click on this link:

http://www.labbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13134620

This will take you to the better business bureau report on this company, the one that gave them an "F" rating. If you call the BBB in Colton California, you may be able to speak to a man named Gary Almond, a supervisor of investigations there. He laughed and said 'many scams like this (referring to Entertainment Career Connection) try to sue us for exposing them, they never win...a scam is a scam'. He also stated that the company uses misleading advertising on it's website and literature. He said they have hundreds of complaints pending and this company has lost many lawsuits. He said they're excited to go to court.

So... think twice about these guys, I would say.

Edited by Rob McGreevy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though this is an old thread, I thought I'd add my 2 cents since it's already been bumped up anyway.

No one should have to pay to work! An internship is a good place to start if you have no experience or connections, but you certainly don't have to pay several grand to get one. Credible companies are constantly hiring interns, since interns don't stay long. Do some basic research online and you can find hundreds of production companies, then keep contacting different companies until you find one you can intern with. There are plenty of free job sites as well. There are plenty of scams out there. Many "film schools" pop up, especially in LA, and charge a bunch of money and aren't even properly accredited to give you a real degree that with transfer anywhere else.

Edited by Michele Peterson

• Premium Member

You can always just buy an HV30 for $700 or so, edit on your laptop and learn the basics, accruing more things as you go along-- work the free jobs on craigslist, apply to internships, take a night class or two, or go to one of the Kodak cinematography workshops. . . all of which are cheaper than any film school etc [disclaimer I went to film school and enjoyed it but I got a lot of grant money to do it.] If anything, I'd take 7G or 5G or whatever, and move to LA for a few months and pound pavement till I got on a set while reading everything I could get my hands on etc. . .In fact, that's part of my "bigger picture" plan!

Save your money!

Also note that "Jason Katz" and "Moe Hawke," who both give film-connection glowingly masturbatory reviews are first time posters and have consecutive member numbers. Clearly these are not real people. I mean, Moe Hawke? Like mohawk? Worst fake name ever.

A quick check on IMDb shows that there is no "Moe Hawke" credited with producing, writing, directing or editing anything at all. Of the three IMDb results for "Jason Katz" none have done credited work in the past two years and only one has "camera department" credit, which comes from a short film, which he apparently did everything on (including acting) and a whopping three episodes of Howard Stern on demand, not exactly the type of work most people are hoping to get.

Can we get an admin to delete these accounts?

Clearly, this film-connection thing is a scam. As has been pointed out, you should never have to pay to get work. You might have to work for free a few times, but you should never, ever have to pay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been looking into Film Connection for a number of years. For one reason or another over the years I just have not been able to do it. Either no time, or no money. Last time I talked with someone about it, I gained a lot of info, and they tried to be very helpful. Yes, money was an issue, however they were not pushy about it. I am sure there are people who have failed and are pissed, and people who have not even given it a try and have things to say about it. The latter people need to shut up. The company has been around for a long time, their information packages are amazing, their staff are helpful, and the format for learning is incredible. Someday hopefully soon, I will be able to enter into this training. I know I can work hard at it, and make it work for me. If someone doesn't like what I am saying, that's tough. I am so sick of people spreading lies, acting like they know for certain. If you have not gone through the training then shut up. No one needs to hear your crap. We want to hear from the people who have actually tried the training. Not someone who just called and gave some guy a hard time just to prove a point, which you didn't even prove. Don't you have anything better to do? I look forward to hearing from the people who actually matter. Feel free to email me any experiences you have with the company at missbekah78@gmail.com

Bekah

I look forward to hearing from the people who actually matter. Feel free to email me any experiences you have with the company at missbekah78@gmail.com

Bekah

You only have one post and it's in defense of Career Connection? Plus your e-mail address is a gmail account.

Sorry, all seems very fishy to me. It's clear that you are a Career Connection employee posing as a soon to be satisfied customer.

R,

You only have one post and it's in defense of Career Connection? Plus your e-mail address is a gmail account.

Sorry, all seems very fishy to me. It's clear that you are a Career Connection employee posing as a soon to be satisfied customer.

R,

I assure you I am not with that company. In fact, I have no job at all. You are just proving my point more and more with what you just said. You are just on the attack.

Bekah

I have agree with Mr. Boddington that you, "Bekah", are indeed affiliated with that so called "school". I mean really, with all of the spelling and grammar errors on that site, who can trust it?

I do find it rather entertaining that "they" continue to fight for their scam when the evidence is clear that they are con artists.

I assure you I am not with that company. In fact, I have no job at all. You are just proving my point more and more with what you just said. You are just on the attack.

Bekah

Sorry doesn't add up, you mysteriously show up on this site to post in defense of Career Connection? It does seem a bit odd don't you think?

R,

Sorry doesn't add up, you mysteriously show up on this site to post in defense of Career Connection? It does seem a bit odd don't you think?

R,

Actually no it doesn't seem odd. I have been looking into Film Connection for years, and I decided to look it up again, and found this forum, read through it, and got mad over all the crap I was reading. I have not gone through the program. I have been in contact with them, and have gotten things from them through the mail. So far, I have had no negative things happen to me while dealing with this company. I am "sorry" if you have a problem with that. I am not going to make up some bull crap to make myself seem more real. You can google me if you want. I have a heavy web presence. Missbekah78. I have done a lot, and I have seen a lot. I have a feeling you are just a small little man trying to get attention.

Bekah

I have a feeling you are just a small little man trying to get attention.

Bekah

Uh Huh, say hi to Jimmy for me. Do you get his coffee?

R,

Uh Huh, say hi to Jimmy for me. Do you get his coffee?

R,

You are a crazy little man. Why should I say something bad about the company when I have not had any bad dealings with them. I am moving to the Republic of Turkey so I probably won't get to join them. I was looking to see if they had anything like this is Turkey when I ran across this forum. You act like me posting on it was out of the blue or magic or something. It's not my fault you were rambling on here for a long time before I came along. If I had bad dealings with film connection I would tell you all about it. I didn't get far enough to have bad dealings. It's as simple as that.

Bekah

• 2 months later...

R,

ok, i haaad to chime in. in no way shape or form do i have any affiliation with the film connection other than apprenticing. same as the other chick bekuh...just looking up the program and this topic. i must say, its not the big cheesy scam the majority of you make it sound. yes, the other post DO sound like individuals from street marketing teams doing online campaigning & what not (i used to that for a side job). but at the same time there are still alot of people that have actually gotten good treatment. all these stories about scams make no sense.

they ARE an actual accredited private program. they have funding help from sallie mae for christ sakes which is how i'm able to even take part in this program. i mean, it might have been slack several years ago, but it's totally working for me. ever since i can remember i've always wanted to do a variety of film work in my life. skateboarding videography, editing, running my own production company, it really doesn't matter. the film connection set me up with the illest editor. he does commercials amongst other art media, owns his own company (Right cut media) and works the life that i want. his names pipo bonamino and that's a legit professional. i see him whenever i can work him in my schedule and i've even been invited to watch him shoot a KFC commercial. it's not the ideal kind of shoot i'd like to work on, but working in this industry is the only thing i care about.

i have a counselor and a tuition adviser that helps with my payments. i've just recently started and already i can understand why mentor/apprenticeship programs are better. for me, its more because i hate school with a passion so why bother sitting in a classroom for another 4 years AND paying for it??! I'd rather learn final cut pro from an actual editor who utilizes it ALL DAY. i'd rather meet his colleagues and production partners than meet a fakin' a teacher in a classroom. say what you want but my guess is post production and more intimate film settings are the better choices with this program. i don't really worry about 30+ people being on a set or getting anybody their damn coffee? yeah riiiight. if that were my scenario they'd be getting me my $7000 mocha latte. The people that got scammed are foolish and sound like what they were looking for is to be babied. ask a question, tell the director or whoever, "hey i paid to be mentored...mentor me!!!!".

all im saying is it's doing wonders for me and yes, i am as real a person as they come. south miami, florida resident. dade-county all day. look me up on fb if your a bitch ass skeptic, i have actual pictures in the studio. :P

and for those looking to try it out, i'd recommend being very assertive, organized and self-reliable. it's not all about the mentors influence. if you don't do your own kind of assigned projects and quizzes or whatever the fak, your not gonna learn as much as you could. this programs about learning your craft on your time. its pretty nifty...

just sayin' B)

Edited by Najanique Forbes

• 1 month later...

Oh em gee! This is my first post! That must make me an agent for Film Connection!!! Lol. Hey, anybody that has gone through this film process with these guys, please give me some feed back. The above poster, I really would love to catch your sn so that we can talk. I am an ambitious person and perhaps you can help my mind with preparing for the experience, in case I do actually join up with Film Connection. Reply back, i'll be keeping tabs on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new but I'm with Wade and Bart. I had great experience with film connection in San Fransisco. They were always upfront with me from the start. They got me working alongside a really great mentor. I never felt any pressure on me. All I can say is check them out yourself and not rely on 3rd hand "horror stories and tittle tattle" For me I loved working from day one on a real set using real and up to date equipment. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Richard, you obviously don't like film connection and nothing myself or anyone else says is going to make a difference, but at least allow people to make up their own minds. I've had no issues with them at all. And I believe in the mentor ship program.

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this thread as I was researching Film-Connections and trying to determine whether they delivered the goods or not.I am based in the UK and I'll tell you this,it is virtually impossible to get into the film business if you aren't related to or know someone already in the business, especially if you are wanting to get into the technical grades.I have been looking to change career and work as a camera op for some time now but I come up against the brick wall of lacking in experience and lacking in contacts.I cannot afford to take time off from my day job to work for free on no/lo/deferred payment on productions of dubious merit just to build experience,those that can seem to have incredibly supportive parents with deep pockets or live in London or Glasgow with mum and dad.

I have considered film school but it is expensive,London met film school charges £19200 for a 1 year diploma on cinematography!!!!!!!!!$27,000...the National film and television school is the best course in the country, and is cheaper @ £7800 per year for a 2 year course but entry requirements are very tough for their MA courses.

An industry initiative to encourage new entrants into the UK film industry for the technical grades to counter the nepotism and closed shop attitude has recently ceased operating,but even this training scheme known as FT2 required some experience,in fact the Scottish version run by Scottish Screen,took on board people who already had extensive paid experience and contacts as well as graduates from film school, so much for the new entrants ethos.....

I have also noticed that Film-Connections did have a UK presence a couple of years back,but they have since disappeared from this dull, stupid island,probably because they didn't succeed in hiring mentors,as I can't imagine any UK film industry practitioner would have signed up as this kind of thing would have undermined the current system of hiring the offspring of friends and relatives as well as appearing as not quite cricket if you get my drift.

My conclusion is that what you are paying for is a foot in the door of a very competitive industry that receives more applications for jobs than are actually available..... the rest is up to you.

Guest haram

hey i just started this thing and i do not know what to say abt it yet all i can say for sure it is nothing like they describe it to be as ..im wondering if anyone can send me the answers to their workbook its seems kinda pointless to work thru it at the moment i just want to get the book over with !

I'm new to all this and would like to get some input. Do you really need a degree to work in film and do mentor programs work? Do studios recognize mentor programs? Should I be putting some money aside and if so, how much?

I'm new to all this and would like to get some input. Do you really need a degree to work in film and do mentor programs work? Do studios recognize mentor programs? Should I be putting some money aside and if so, how much?

• Premium Member

You most certainly do not need a degree nor a mentor's program to work in film. I would suggest saving money to live off of while you scrap the bottom of the barrel for production when you first start out (working free, unfortunately, or for little pay as you build a network.) The only thing required for film work is networking as well as some pretty strong determination and want to teach yourself new things. I have never seen nor heard of any teaching program which can quite honestly prepare you for the real world of film and video-- and those students which come out of programs which say they can, quite often are the least fun and useful people to have on set as they seem to get a rather holier than thou attitude. My 2 cents.