zoom vs primes on feature

matt wheeldon

I own a regular 16 Arri 16BL EQ, and I'm planning a low budget feature, using rented Zeiss Mk1 primes where possible, but considering using my Zeiss 12.5-75mm zoom (T2.4) for much of it. The lens has just been collimated and rated 'pin sharp' all the way through the range, but I'm wondering how well any zoom footage will cut-in with the primes, especially (fingers crossed) if the end result is blown up to 35mm? I don't have any info on this lens, and have only done a small test so far. Stock is a mix of 200T and 500T, plus some daylight (TBC).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers, Matt.

• Premium Member

Rule of thumb is that primes are sharper than zooms. That being said, a few years ago I had a Zeiss 10-100 T3.1 zoom that was surprisingly sharp. It was one of the later models with the T* coating.

That is the one thing I would be somewhat concerned about, as the Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 primes all have the T* coating, and if memory serves, the 12.5 to 75 was discontinued before Zeiss started T* coating the lenses. At least I have never seen a 12.5 - 75 with the coating.

Best thing to do is test if you have the chance.

-Tim

• Premium Member

I would ahev to go with primes on this one. If you get to do a 35mm blowup, it will show everyone the difference between your zoom and your primes. 16mm is a pretty small negative and you need all the sharpness you can get if you'll blow it up.

Thanks guys,

The zoom is a Vario Sonnar 12.5 - 75mm, and not the T* version. I believe it was used for TV drama in the 70's, but I don't know much more about the lens than that. The problem I have with using primes is getting my hands on a Zeiss Prime blimp for the arri 16BL -- rare as hens teeth down here in Australia.

Thanks guys,

The zoom is a Vario Sonnar 12.5 - 75mm, and not the T* version. I believe it was used for TV drama in the 70's, but I don't know much more about the lens than that. The problem I have with using primes is getting my hands on a Zeiss Prime blimp for the arri 16BL -- rare as hens teeth down here in Australia.

Hi Matt,

Try Cameraquip in South Melbourne. I might be wrong about this but I believe they have quite a bit of 16BL equipment out back, or at least they did. Try and speak to Malcom and maybe they can help you out. Are you based in Melbourne?

I used to have one of those lenses, I hated it. Quite sharp but flare prone / veilling glare galore. Spent way way too much time flagging off flares. etc.

-Sam

I agree that older lenses will require much more flagging for flares than more contemporary lenses with better anti halation coatings. Personally when I get so busy lighting, flagging for flares may be the last thing I do or maybe not at all. Sometimes I have thought if I couldn't see a flare while shooting I was OK. But I have been surprised a few times. I used to only think only hard light caused flares until I was hit with a Kino Flo flare. I had it just above the frame as a back light in a low ceiling apartment and I did not flag it. It caused a flare that looked like a light leak.

Best

Tim

Hi Matt,

Try Cameraquip in South Melbourne. I might be wrong about this but I believe they have quite a bit of 16BL equipment out back, or at least they did. Try and speak to Malcom and maybe they can help you out. Are you based in Melbourne?

Thanks for that. Yes I am in Melbourne, and I have taken the camera to Malcolm. Unfortunately he has sold his Zeiss Mk1's and his 16BL Zeiss Prime Blimp, but I guess I could rent a 10-100 T*, which will fit my current zoom blimp, and sounds like it would be an improvement over my flare-prone 'non-coated' 12.5-75 zoom.

Anyone know where I can buy a Zeiss Mk 1 Prime Blimp for the 16BL? Have not seen one on ebay all year.