Beauty Lighting

Kerwin Go

I've always wondered how commercial D.P's achieve that soft wraparound look to a model's face. Very evenly lit but still with a great deal of modelling. Also in shampoo commercials where a subject's hair has an even sheen to it.

Are these huge bounced sources? Does that glow coming from the skin achieved in post? Or was it all done in camera?

I've always wondered how commercial D.P's achieve that soft wraparound look to a model's face. Very evenly lit but still with a great deal of modelling. Also in shampoo commercials where a subject's hair has an even sheen to it.

Are these huge bounced sources? Does that glow coming from the skin achieved in post? Or was it all done in camera?

A mixture of those things. Soft boxes, bouncers and a serious amount of post production.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

I know that some DP's will use what's called a wedge-light system. They'll take, for example; a 10k and bounce that to a 8'x8' or a 12'x12' grifflon and then take that bounce and put that through an 8'x8' or a 12'x12' silk and that creates a really nice soft wrap around beauty look.

Soft sources, like large book lights and smaller soft sources, but placed within the fall off the source so you can feel the diffusion reflecting off the skin, will give you a more commercial look. This is called blooming. Large book lights placed far back can still be very soft but give a different natural light look rather then commercial look. As well as since the eye is like a wide-angle lens sources placed far away appear a lot smaller in the reflection of the eye, hence avoiding that big reflection of diffusion in the eye, once again looking more natural. To soften even more for close ups you can use clear diffusion close to the character so that it doesn't cause that blooming. This works because clear diffusion, like hilite, won?t become the source. However, that?s what I would do to avoid the commercial look heh. To achieve the commercial look I would take a medium (4x4-6x6) sized sources placed close to the performer (If the diffusion is too large and close, it will start to coming in at a reflecting angle and act as a backlight aswell as a key light, so i use smaller booklights to aviod that) so that I would get a nice bright reflection in the skin as well as a bright and large eye light. For wide shots I would use a larger frame? but things are usually stay tight on TV.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

hi kervin u had asked about the ..."shampoo commercials having even sheen hair "...and that is not soft source light. that is hard lighting. actually i was working on a few hair shampoo commercials with a cinematographer from hongkong who specilaises in it. that was lot of work for that kind of lighting. each and every shine that u get on a volume of hair is lit by a single light each....and the spill over light cut off ...from each other....crazy flagging of has to be done....to get the perfect sheen....even worse if the woman is going to be walking.....the hair is made to bounce by a magic thread (invisible) by two people walking along the model ......and a whole of care

cheers!

rajavel

• 3 weeks later...