Lab/xfer facility recommendations?

Conrad Yoder

I am in the middle of production of a short film, being shot on Super 16mm. I would like to get either some sort of uncompressed SD xfer to digital, or some HD xfer. Ideally, the xfer facility would ship it to me on a hard drive, so I can sit down at Final Cut Pro and "just start editing."

Can people my recommendations for/against any labs? I am exploring options right now, seeing what the costs are as well. I only have access to a beta deck right now, so if that's my only option I won't cry. As mentioned, the ideal situation would be to have the transfer back on a hard drive at 24p. I am in Ohio, so I guess I am more inclined to look at east-coast options. Thanks for any pointers.

• Site Sponsor
I should say my current short list is CineLab, ColorLab, Magno and DuArt. If you have any other place you particularly love, please let me know that too.

Hi Conrad,

Magno is gone I would think that you will get the best deal/attention from either us (cinelab) or colorlab...

-Rob-

I should say my current short list is CineLab, ColorLab, Magno and DuArt. If you have any other place you particularly love, please let me know that too.

Cinelab is great. I use them and have had no problems. Perfect for what you want to do.

chris

• Site Sponsor
Are you speaking of the Cine lab in Mass.? Do they do HD tapeless transfers? If so what kind of options do they have as far as codecs go?

We are only doing SD transfers right now but that should change significantly in the next 6 months.

SD can be done to any Blackmagic flavor (Uncomp. 10bit or 8bit or Dv50, etc..)

-Rob-