Experience

ali wilson

Hey guys

I am fairly new to this site and i have only browsed it until now. I am currently at Ravensbourne college in kent studying for a degree in Broadcast Operations and production.

I recently attended Session in which we used the Panther Peewee dolly to re-create a scene from the bill. this was done under the watchfull eye of a grip named John Head. This lecture really inspired me and i now would really love to learn more about gripping and hopefully gain some experience. i was wondering how i go about getting expereince in the world of gripping ie who and where to ask ?

thanks Ali

Edited by ali wilson

• Premium Member

There's a thread (c-stand etiquette ) here http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=22353 you should read up on it'll give some good things.

Also there are a few books from film tools (http://www.filmtools.com/books.html#top) which give good pointers etc. The best way to learn, however, is through experience and watching other grips work. Normally when you're hired on to grip you'll be under other people who've been doing it a lot longer than you. You'll be the green-grip and they'll take care of you. Just be positive, watch what they do, how they do it, and keep safety ALWAYS in mind.

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback i will be putting the reccomended books on my xmas list !

I have a few projects coming up that will require camera movement which in which i will be involved with.

I understand safety plays a key role in the work of a grip on set and have heard some storys from very experienced DOPs and grips to back this up. is there any specific training/qualification that a grip has to complete before handeling specific equipment or is it a matter of learning the safe practise of the kit before use ?

many thanks

Ali

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback i will be putting the reccomended books on my xmas list !

I have a few projects coming up that will require camera movement which in which i will be involved with.

I understand safety plays a key role in the work of a grip on set and have heard some storys from very experienced DOPs and grips to back this up. is there any specific training/qualification that a grip has to complete before handeling specific equipment or is it a matter of learning the safe practise of the kit before use ?

many thanks

Ali

I dont know about the safety requirements and training for europe and England.

Unfortunatly here in America training is on the Job and most of it is common sense. Unless you are in LA, NY and Union there are no real requirements before handling equipment that poses a safety threat to you and the people around you. Most people here draw jobs through networking, which can be good and bad.

I have a guy I fired claiming I taught him how to grip. I am fighting against it but It has the potential to look bad on me.

Find a working grip and intern or PA on projects. when there is any chance jump in and offer a hand. Learn with a working grip. read all the books and information you can. good working practices are learned on set. ask questions. watch how it is done.

Good luck.