Steenbeck ST1600 Manual

David Auner aac

• Premium Member
I was recently given a 16mm Steenbeck 4 plate table, type ST1600. But it didn't come with a manual...................

Try emailing http://www.hollywoodmanuals.com/ if all else fails. They don't list editors but I know they've supplied a 35mm Moviola manual in the past.

And......do you mind if I hate you for getting a Steenbeck for free? Let me know if your generous source wants to get rid of a 35mm Steenbeck! :)

• Premium Member
And......do you mind if I hate you for getting a Steenbeck for free? Let me know if your generous source wants to get rid of a 35mm Steenbeck! :)

Thanks for the info. Actually the guy I got mine from has a couple of 'em sitting around. Both 16/35 combos and 35mm tables. He has a really nice collection! Now minus one nice piece! :D

Cheers, Dave

PS: When I'm back in Vienna I'll send you some nice pics of my new table! :P

I had a hell of a time finding a manual for my KEM, The Guy I bought the machine from wanted like $150 bucks for the manual after he had already sold me the machine and I didn't want to pay that so I finally had to email KEM and told me they would sell me one for I think it was like $50 bucks but I made a deal to buy a second KEM from the same guy I had bought my first one and THIS time made sure the manual was included before the deal as done so luckily I didn't have to buy it. Them when I got the manual it was on a CD so the guy coulda just made a copy of it when he sold me the first KEM....weasel! Anyway, I would check the Steenbeck website if all else fails email those guys and see if the can find one there. B)

• Premium Member

Hi David,

why didn't Paul give you a manual with it? He just photocopied one straight-away when we took delivery of a 5-platter in 1995 (though not for free <_< :D )

Try http://www.steenbeck.com/ for any spares or assistance. Their Austrian POS is Herr Raczkövi of AT Inventure Forschung & Entwicklung GmbH in Edlitz (not sure where that is, A-2842..!?!)

Alternatively, try Paul Tomasko ( bluebird1198@hvc.rr.com ). He is a Steenbeck technician located on the US East coast, I think in N.Y. or Jersey even, but not sure.

If you can't track a manual down (PDF might be real hard), I will attempt to make a photocopy of our documents, but those are in our facilities in Basel, and Marty won't be there (lest me in rainy Londinium) 'til Christmas. So if you havn't been able to source one by the 25 DEC, please ping me.

P.S.: I hope copyshops are open over christmas on the Continent. Crazy opening hours you have... ;) .

• Premium Member
why didn't Paul give you a manual with it? He just photocopied one straight-away when we took delivery of a 5-platter in 1995 (though not for free <_< :D )

Well, I kind of think he just plain forgot to... :D

Thanks for the link to Steenbeck, but I fear that the Raczkoevi info is oitdated, but I know someone who worked for him so I'll ask... Thanks to you James, as well!

And thanks for you most generous offer, maybe I'll have to come back it!

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Oh poop, you don't need a manual, dude, you need a repair manual with a lot more detail on the mechanisms and tolerances. I'd almost bet you'll have to go through Steenbeck for that but there might be some places in Hollywood and NYC that specialize in maintenance and repair of these things and they MIGHT be able to help you out.

I would start with some general motion picture and equipment repair places and see if they know of anyplace that does repair on flatbeds or maybe Steenbeck knows, don't tell 'em you want a free manual, just tell 'em you need to get the thing repaired and they'll tell you the closest places to have it done. Steenbeck is like the standard flatbed out there so if some body does do repairs, more than likely they'll have manuals for Stieenbeecks. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have a ST 1600 one the can photocopy or scan and email you but I doubt if it'll be free, then again it may be, there are some pretty decent people out there. B)

If it's completely unserviceable, then fair enough.

Mine was running rough and I serviced it myself. It's not difficult if you're careful and are reasonably handy. I even went as far as removing the prism block. Obviously you can't do such things as setting the bearing backlash without special tools, but the Steenbeck is reassuringly mechanical, and German as well, which helps.

If the toothed drivebelts are brown in colour, they're probably perished and will soon need replacing. Fortunately they're still available. I got mine from the UK dealer, Mel Worsfold, but I'm sure Steenbeck will point you in the right direction.

• Premium Member

Hi Mark,

thanks for the info. I think it's mainly small things... cleaning and maybe some lube somewhere and cleaning and re-assembly of the reels.

James, thanks it ain't gonna be that much. See above!

Michael, I hope so too! Keep me posted!

Cheers, Dave

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hi folks,

a little update on this topic. I wrote an email to Steenbeck and asked about the manual. They would be charging a whopping 100 Euro for a copied manual. and of course they have no PDF or something of the kind. Will try and find another way. Maybe Paul can send me one when he returns the camera if he ever finishes modifying it.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Hmm... not happy to see that Paul isn't moving ahead on your NPR mod. Marty was able to manage fixing a hand-over for our kit on the 2nd May, IIRC. Apparently, everything is finished. I am not sure if Marty reads this here, but I shall put to him to have a look what paperwork we have on the Steenbeck ourselves, to help you out, if you want...

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I may be of help to all you Steenbeck owners out there. I have maintained them for more than 30 yrs now and service around 200 throughout the US. The first thing I can say is the manual is of little help to most people (partly because it's in German). Don't get me wrong I do use it at times but only when I get stuck tracing the wiring or when trying to fix an individual board. There are many models and version even we "the service guys" have are hard time keeping the documents in order. It simply does not offer the how to type instruction but shows mechanical diagrams and schematics of the circuits. The only how to that was described within the manual for the older vintage machines had to do with resolving the "B" board for 24fps. The most useful diagram is an overall view of the motor drive system but even that is not easy for anyone but a clever Eng. to decipher. The CD for sale on e-bay is a nice portable way to carry the info but it's not organized. I can't imagine how long it might take to repair something with that as the only resource.

My suggested approach is to contact someone like myself and in relatively short time I can guide you through the process and cut to the chase. The solution then may be replace the board or send it in to be fixed. We have redesigned many of the original boards making improvements and using current state of the art components. The boards are very reasonable in price and carry a 2 year warranty. I also sell most parts such as belts, bearings rollers etc. Check out my web site www.CUTFILM.com I can also advise you if you choose to do deep work on your own but to do so in detail would take a fair amount of time and I am still quite busy these days so I would have to charge something.

Sincerely,

Dwight Cody

The Boston Connection Inc.

• Premium Member
Hello,

I may be of help to all you Steenbeck owners out there. I have maintained them for more than 30 yrs now and service around 200 throughout the US. The first thing I can say is the manual is of little help to most people (partly because it's in German). Don't get me wrong I do use it at times but only when I get stuck tracing the wiring or when trying to fix an individual board.

[snipped]

Hi Dwight,

first of all, welcome to the board! Good to have a Steenbeck expert here. I'd still be interested in the manual, partly because I'm a native German speaker :D. And partly because it seems kind of hard to find someone here in Vienna who knows his way around the inner workings of these tables...

It would just give me a place to start checking out that thing as I am a complete beginner when it comes to editing table and the editing of film.

Regards, Dave

• Premium Member

Servus, David

Ich kenne mich aus mit den Steenbecken. Praxis mit vielen Modellen, Überholung von Modell 938 (ja, das gibt's), 6000 u. a. Das Wichtigste gleich: Netzspannung richtig einstellen. Wir haben heute in Basel 233 bis 235 Volt. Am Trafo gibt es entsprechende Kabelbrücken. Sobald die Steuerkarten Überspannung erhalten, kann es schnell gehen. Dann Motor und Getriebe pflegen: Lager, Schmierung. Ach ja - man will bald auf 240 Volt gehen.

Same in English for those who are open to learn some German: I know my way around with the Steenbecks. Practice with many models, overhaul of model 938 (yes, it exists), 6000 a. o. Most important thing first: adjust for line voltage. We at Basel have 233 to 235 V today. There are wire bridges on the transformer accordingly. When the control cards are overtensioned you can readily have a blast. Then take care of motor and gears: bearings, lubrication. And, oh - they will soon switch to 240 Volt.

• Premium Member

Ja nee, s'isch ja nicht meeglig: und was isch mit'em Baaseldytsch?! Oder schöönscht's Schwyzerdütsch, zum minimum? Weenn d'scho ee linguistisches Chuchichäschtli aufmachsch, denn scho richtig!

:P

Greetings to Vienna and Basel (or Bale, or Bâle, or Basle, no one really seems to know how to spell it in English proper - so much for hedging chances),

-Michael

• Premium Member
Ja nee, s'isch ja nicht meeglig: und was isch mit'em Baaseldytsch?! Oder schöönscht's Schwyzerdütsch, zum minimum? Weenn d'scho ee linguistisches Chuchichäschtli aufmachsch, denn scho richtig!

:P

Greetings to Vienna and Basel (or Bale, or Bâle, or Basle, no one really seems to know how to spell it in English proper - so much for hedging chances),

-Michael

Ja, biss a Wiener oder net ? Ich bi vo Züri und rede nie, nie, nie Baseldytsch.

It's Basel in English, Bâle in French. If you want to be different, give it in latin, Basilea.

• Premium Member

:D

Actually, I am from Basel (regularly refered to as either Basel, Bale or Basle in international air traffic ;) ) but cannot believe that you can stand living there as someone from Züri. How come you changed the "Böögg" for living amidst the "Daig"?! :)

(don't answer, it's a rhethorical post - British humour, I'm afraid :unsure: )

P.S. to David: Dresel was in hospital, back in recuperation. Incorrect medicine prescription from his GP nearly killed him (no joke!). Attempt to get NPR in late October or so.

• 15 years later...

Hello, I have an Original manual STEENBECK TS 1600 but I don't know the dimensions of the drive belts. I will scan the manual for the dimensions of all the belts. Best regards, Petr CZ

email: 29vanecek@email.cz

Edited by Petr Vanecek

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, Petr Vanecek said:

Hello, I have an Original manual STEENBECK TS 1600 but I don't know the dimensions of the drive belts. I will scan the manual for the dimensions of all the belts. Best regards, Petr CZ

email: 29vanecek@email.cz

I've just come across your post months late. If it's still useful, you need one DR-70 and two DR-83 belts. If you don't need sepmag drive at all, you only need one DR-83.