Red One Reservation

Jack Williamson

Hello,

I can't seem to find the information on their website anywhere. I even attempted to check out with a Red Camera in the store on the site and there doesn't seem to be any information on how long it would take or what serial number they are delivering/what serial number I will be getting.

Anyone know, if I reserved today how long it would take to get the Red One?

Also, what about the accessories, do they come separate or with the camera and your whole order?

Thanks,

Jack

• Premium Member
Hello,

I can't seem to find the information on their website anywhere. I even attempted to check out with a Red Camera in the store on the site and there doesn't seem to be any information on how long it would take or what serial number they are delivering/what serial number I will be getting.

Also, what about the accessories, do they come separate or with the camera and your whole order?

Thanks,

Jack

Hi,

All cameras currently ordered should be delivered by the end of May, it's possible not all the cameras ordered will turn into sales so it could be sooner.

If the accessories can be built in quantity, then the should be shipping with cameras. Several items are currently on back order.

Stephen

Stephen

Hello,

If you order today, your number is going to be right over 3,000--unless there have been a TON of orders in the last couple of weeks. That means that with their current posted timeline you should get it in June I believe.

The $17,500 only gets you the camera body. You have to buy everything else separately (lenses, camera body framework, viewfinder/lcd, batteries, etc.) A working package is going to be closer to $30,000.

Matthew

• Premium Member
Why wait?

Red on eBay

Hi,

I think there will be many cameras on Ebay soon. It's worth bearing in mind that the warranty is only to the original purchaser. With the camera still in beta and reports of a an issue with a UK based camera, buying a 2nd hand camera would seem slightly risky at this time.

Stephen

Hi,

I think there will be many cameras on Ebay soon. It's worth bearing in mind that the warranty is only to the original purchaser. With the camera still in beta and reports of a an issue with a UK based camera, buying a 2nd hand camera would seem slightly risky at this time.

Stephen

I thought I read somewhere the camera was coming was out of beta...

So what is the issue with the UK camera...

• Premium Member
I thought I read somewhere the camera was coming was out of beta...

So what is the issue with the UK camera...

Hi,

They were coming out of Beta, thats been delayed. I was planning some major RED testing starting tomorrow, however I will wait as I don't want to have to repeat the tests in 3 months time.

Last Thursday a UK based camera 'died' Red are sending a replacement unit that should arrive on Monday. Another camera in Germany has a similar issue.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Last Thursday a UK based camera 'died' Red are sending a replacement unit that should arrive on Monday. Another camera in Germany has a similar issue.

Stephen

I also had a camera fail and it's a known problem for the first 100 cameras. RED have been repairing and modifying them though under warranty of course.

jb

Hi,

They were coming out of Beta, thats been delayed. I was planning some major RED testing starting tomorrow, however I will wait as I don't want to have to repeat the tests in 3 months time.

Stephen

There is a thread on this subject on Reduser.

Dead RED

Dave Wyatt of 4K London was using his Red with a power supply rig of his own manufacture, and at the moment they don't know whether that had anything to do with it or not. I don't think there's been any problem using RED-supplied batteries and other accessories.

Reliability and after-sales backup are the only unanswered questions now. Ideally they should have a stash of replacement cameras and spare parts in strategic locations around the world, but then, every one they put aside for warranty replacement is one they can't sell.

Bit of a no-win situation really. If you make spares available, people whine that their cameras haven't been delivered. If you don't they whine when it breaks down and they can't get a replacement in a hurry. Some people will whine no matter what.

(I suppose Linux could be described as a "no-Win" solution too, not that that has anything to do with this:-).

• Premium Member
Dave Wyatt of 4K London was using his Red with a power supply rig of his own manufacture, and at the moment they don't know whether that had anything to do with it or not. I don't think there's been any problem using RED-supplied batteries and other accessories.

Ummm.

Mine died while using red batteries / power supply. A similar thing happened with the other camera the company had as well.

jb

Someone posted that in most cameras the read out memory for a low battery is in the camera.... in the Red its in the batts... so I'm wondering like some shoots you try and get that last few seconds in before you change the batt... and of course when the batt goes down it shuts down the camera also..

Edited by Gary McClurg

• Premium Member
Someone posted that in most cameras the read out memory for a low battery is in the camera.... in the Red its in the batts... so I'm wondering like some shoots you try and get that last few seconds in before you change the batt... and of course when the batt goes down it shuts down the camera also..

But it's not the reason the cameras are dying. Although it is an operational issue.

jb

• Premium Member
Looks like a third one... number 40... and the way I read it... this was a replacement camera already...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8140

Well if there are 500 cameras out there and less than 5 have failed, that's only a 1% failure rate, which is very good for the opening side of the "Bathtub" curve. I wish certain brands of film camera were that reliable!

But is it a replacement for the same thing? It's like the old saying: "Losing one husband is sad, losing two is starting to look like carelessness" :rolleyes:

But this is just one reason why people prefer to rent rather than buy.

People still phone me up at 2AM trying to get me to come out to the other side of town to try to resurrect some gadget or other that's broken down in the middle of an all-nighter. I think this is the point where I get a new phone number:-)

Well if there are 500 cameras out there and less than 5 have failed, that's only a 1% failure rate, which is very good for the opening side of the "Bathtub" curve. I wish certain brands of film camera were that reliable!

But is it a replacement for the same thing? It's like the old saying: "Losing one husband is sad, losing two is starting to look like carelessness" :rolleyes:

I could be wrong... but its more like 3 so far out of a hundred... I don't think the other 400 out of 500 cameras have shipped...

I could be wrong... but its more like 3 so far out of a hundred... I don't think the other 400 out of 500 cameras have shipped...

Actually, I'm pretty sure they have shipped at least 300 cameras (probably closer to 400.)

Even as 3% for a brand new camera (the first 100 being considered beta) is pretty good. If in a year they still are have many cameras fail, then that is when I would worry.

Matthew

• Premium Member
Actually, I'm pretty sure they have shipped at least 300 cameras (probably closer to 400.)

Even as 3% for a brand new camera (the first 100 being considered beta) is pretty good. If in a year they still are have many cameras fail, then that is when I would worry.

Matthew

Hi,

There have been other issues with the first cameras from FFD's, bent CF card pins, not booting in the cold, overheating, issues with flair & dynamic range less than 11.3 stops. I think one can ignore your figure of 3%.

Hopefully the next batch will be better still.

Stephen

There have been other issues with the first cameras from FFD's, bent CF card pins, not booting in the cold, overheating, issues with flair & dynamic range less than 11.3 stops. I think one can ignore your figure of 3%.

Yes, there were other issues, but the original language was that those cameras were dead (as in, won't boot, might as well be a sandbag). I wouldn't call issues with flair and dynamic range a failure. They may not produce the results you want, but that doesn't mean the camera isn't running and recording an image. I would say the camera has had alot of issues, but complete failure rate is still low.

Matthew

• Premium Member
I would say the camera has had alot of issues, but complete failure rate is still low.

Matthew

When i rang to tell the rental company that my camera had died, i was told that it was the second camera to die in this way...of the two that they own....

jb