Roger deakins is a god

the wide shot you have posted shows sodium vapour street lights yellow, get a swatch book from Lee or Rosco whack a light on a subject . Look at the various options you have there look just put it to your eye and decide what looks best to you , lighting is all about using your eyes and being bold . go for it .

THE same question has been asked several times before. Try the search funchion.

I was more interested in the combination of lighting, film stock and post work. I couldn't get the yellowish colour using the techniques suggested in the current posts. The gel combinations gave a much too orangey tone that I found unappealing and wondered if they where intended to be combined with grading.

i just saw this film today. It looks like RD has chosen to use a Sodium look that is closer to the way dSLRs see it (more brown/yellow) than video or film. A couple of minutes looking at a swatch book suggested to me that something like LEE 013 Straw Tint & Lee 245 Half Plus Green might get you close. Using a straw gel rather than an orange you'll lose the pink tinge, and the plus green will get you that sickly yellow look. Test, test, test.

i just saw this film today. It looks like RD has chosen to use a Sodium look that is closer to the way dSLRs see it (more brown/yellow) than video or film. A couple of minutes looking at a swatch book suggested to me that something like LEE 013 Straw Tint & Lee 245 Half Plus Green might get you close. Using a straw gel rather than an orange you'll lose the pink tinge, and the plus green will get you that sickly yellow look. Test, test, test.

Ill be testing the following next week

Dirty White (744) / Burnt Yellow (770) / Chrome Orange (179) / Super White Flame (232) / Bastard Amber (162)

Ill add Straw Tint and Half Plus green to the list. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I was more interested in the combination of lighting, film stock and post work. I couldn't get the yellowish colour using the techniques suggested in the current posts. The gel combinations gave a much too orangey tone that I found unappealing and wondered if they where intended to be combined with grading.

Last year I worked with Shane Hurlbut, ASC. He designed lights that burn at the same temperature as sodium vapors. He would clip them on to lamp posts to get more stop from the practicals for close ups, or mount them on condors for wide shots. Thing is I can't remember where he got them from, since he is the designer but someone else built them. I understand he is busy right now filming, otherwise I would ask him directly. . . I'll ask his assistant, she may know.

You may want to ask some of the SoCal rental houses for this kind of light if you are in that neck of the woods. . .

As far as post techniques, your colorist can tweak the colors as they are telecined if you supervise it, a 2k Da Vinci has SO MUCH control over color is sick. Also, Color, the companion Final Cut Pro app, will let you tweak hues and color (and replace them) to your heart's content. Or you can tweak your printer lights if you are going to a film print.

If you're doing testing, my advice would be to test combinations of gels. I think Stuart's advice to look at Straw and 1/2 Plus Green is a good idea, and I would follow the idea of testing something warm with different strengths of Plus Green to get that green tinge. Put up Bastard Amber and some of the other warm gels with 1/2 Plus Green, and so on.

My main problem is that i have neither the time or money to test on any more film stock so ll be using a digital camera (Nikon D70). How closely will i be able to gauge what the final colour reproduction will look like on film? (Kodak stock 7217, 7205 & 7219).

• 1 year later...